[1.12] FreeIva

JonnyOThan

Now I just need a proper free EVA mod wich is simply allows free rotation (6 dergees of freedom, a.k.a allow roll with Q/E and remove min and max pitch limits) on EVA to fix my last majour annoyance with KSP...

P.S I too saw a weird hexagonal prism after walking around and going EVA couple of times in Mk1 Command Pod. I installed it with CKAN (I downgraded my game to 1.12.3, since many mods don't support 1.12.4, and I didn't want to always convince CKAN that it's okay to install them anyway. I also have EasyVesselSwitch, PreciseManeuver, ProceduralParts and SimpleFuelSwitch). I can post logs tomorrow, if you'll still need them.

Edited by MaxCross

1 hour ago, MaxCross said:

Now I just need a proper free EVA mod wich is simply allows free rotation (6 dergees of freedom, a.k.a allow roll with Q/E and remove min and max pitch limits) on EVA to fix my last majour annoyance with KSP...

May I introduce you to 

Yeah, logs would be useful.

11 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

May I introduce you to 

Yeah, logs would be useful.

Well, not really. Third person EVA wasn't really a problem for me (although I don't mind a first person sometimes), but rather just the fact that game keeps trying to convince me that there is "up" and "down" in zero gravity, by limiting pitch anglels, not allowing to roll, and, probably worst of it - translating happends in one plane (if I hold W, i move forward, even if I'm looking down).

Trying to get close to any speccific part of any object in space is a nightmare unless it's rotated just right.
I never understood how people could think that 6-DOF is more disorienting than... this. I'd rather just rotate my character to align with ladder, than trying to aproach it from "bottom", because ship is rotated that way that ladder is facing antinormal.
This mod is, while allowing 6-DOF rotation, brings more problems than it solves by forcing me to use default ship rotaion and RCS keys and not using mouse for rotation. I'd rather use WASD, Shift, Ctrl to move relative to camera, mouse for pitch + yaw and QE for roll, like in, basicly, any other game.

Anyway, sorry for this offtopic rambling.
Didn't figure out appropriate way to upload files on this forum, so I reported it here.

Edited by MaxCross

1 hour ago, JonnyOThan said:

I haven’t used it myself but maybe this does what you want? 

Camera controls surprisingly more intuitive than I expected from description, but I still would prefered simple "mouse for pitch/yaw, QE for roll".
But, more importanly, this mod doesn't change EVA controlls, they are still referencing local orbital plane, so even if I look up and hold W, I still move "forward".

1 hour ago, JonnyOThan said:

Personally I’ve come to prefer the TTE control system but it’s certainly a matter of opinion.

And yet FreeIVA uses exactly controlls I described when ship isn't landed).
I don't know what "TTE control system" is, but i'm guessing that it's the one that is used in game.

Maybe I played games like Elite Dangerous, Everspace 1/2, Star Citizen, Space Engineers, Outer Wilds, or even Prey too much, but for me - 6-DOF controls for zero-G seems like such an obvious choice that I'm surprized that no one in (how much is it - 11 years?) convinced devs to add it to the game as an alternative camera option or at least make a mod for it. (I mean, modders added a roll controlls even to seamoth/seatruck in Subnautica, but to KSP, a game about actual space, with actual EVAs where ship/stations doesn't automaticly align with any kind of "up" vector, where it's actually important - no one ever though about it?)
I really hope that there will be an option for that in KSP 2.

Thanks for suggestion anyway.

Edited by MaxCross

On 11/10/2022 at 10:51 PM, JonnyOThan said:

but there are no collider shells or hatch configurations set up so you'll either float off into space or won't be able to get through certain hatches.

maybe it possible to make "unrealistic mode" in the settings, that will remove any colliders support, and will allow to move through walls and hatches of unsupported mods?

29 minutes ago, lassombra said:

I love this mod already.  However, I have a small bug to report.

This mod messes with the alpha channel effects in ASET IVA Props

Hi, thanks. Can you include a screenshot or even which props specifically?  I’m usually testing without ASET/rpm etc to make the game load faster, but I definitely want to make sure they work together. 

2 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

Hi, thanks. Can you include a screenshot or even which props specifically?  I’m usually testing without ASET/rpm etc to make the game load faster, but I definitely want to make sure they work together. 

The ones that I noticed right off the bat was the covered switches, they are showing all the way through to outside instead of showing what's behind the cover.

Also the annunciator panels have weird artifacts.

EDIT: I believe the recently added issue https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/FreeIva/issues/114 is the same issue.

Edited by lassombra
Updated information

Hey there! It is a really amazing mod! Good work! However, after installing this mod, I get a weird visual glitch that's like a hexagonal block out of the ship. It always shows up north and disappears when doing EVA. What makes it weirder, is that it gets stuck in the air at 100-500 meters when landing on kerbin. I think it's the same glitch that @Kerbalsaurushas. I would add some screenshots here, but I don't know how to do it with the URL.

Edited by Walter_G

2 hours ago, Walter_G said:

Hey there! It is a really amazing mod! Good work! However, after installing this mod, I get a weird visual glitch that's like a hexagonal block out of the ship. It always shows up north and disappears when doing EVA. What makes it weirder, is that it gets stuck in the air at 100-500 meters when landing on kerbin. I think it's the same glitch that @Kerbalsaurushas. I would add some screenshots here, but I don't know how to do it with the URL.

Yep, this is a known issue that will be fixed in the next release.

0.2.2 is now available as a prerelease!  Please help test it out and report any issues here or on discord.

https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/FreeIva/releases/tag/0.2.2-prerelease0

Dependencies

• ModuleManager
  • Reviva is recommended if you use certain structural parts from Planetside or StockalikeStationPartsExpansion that change their shape based on B9PartSwitch variants. Reviva will allow for altering the internal model as well. See known issues below.

Notable Changes

• Movement in gravity (including jumping and ladders) is fully supported. See the Controls page for more info
  • Full support for Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux
  • Full support for Buffalo 2
  • The centrifuges from SSPX will provide artificial gravity. See the Controls page for more info.
  • Faster and more accurate mesh cutter
  • Added support for Planetside adapter parts

Bug Fixes

• Fixed leaking OnCameraChanged event handler
  • Fixed jittering in movement
  • Fix NREs when leaving IVA mode
  • The bottoms of stock docking ports are now solid when not attached to something traversible
  • Fixed a rendering order issue with transparent geometry
  • Scaled hatch props now scale their tubes properly
  • Added an internal model to the mk1 structural fuselage
  • Fixed cutout meshes (hexagonal prisms, etc) being left behind when the blocked prop was used

Known Issues

• Windows in distant parts do not render correctly
  • When using a part that swaps internals with Reviva, physics will go crazy on the first launch of the vessel. Reverting to launch should fix it.
  • Contacting the upspin wall of a centrifuge will punt you pretty hard

Just now, mor128 said:

Really love the update, but my station got attacked by the kraken after I installed it. I think it has to do woth the PAS-MULT Connector.

Log: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqwDNW8Nrrpo9m3gouFbCgJGjoCB?e=1u1pvR

Most likely this issue: 

• When using a part that swaps internals with Reviva, physics will go crazy on the first launch of the vessel. Reverting to launch should fix it.

My PR to reviva was just merged, so it should be fixed whenever they put out an update.