Coustom flag creator

I don't think there is a need for a 'flag design' app/feature built in.  But some instructions and parameters would be helpful.

I do think a flag 'importer' into which you can drag and crop your image, then 'save as' may be worthwhile though.

The biggest drawback to having it "in game" would be it would limit creativity.

Because of the nature of such an inclusion of elements in an in-game editor, there would be only so many included elements( a limited selection of geometric shapes), even if a color palate was unlimited. Sure, each user would create their own custom design, but it would be permutations on themes. There would be a limit on creativity.

The way flags are now is pretty much a free-for-all. And it allows for a lot more freedom when it comes to flag design and personalization. The only limits are one's imagination and if there's an intent to share images of your craft on the forum, since flags that contain forbidden content would not be allowed to be displayed.

I've designed a lot of flags for forum members since 2013, more than I can remember (I know this because I see the archive files I keep and go, "oh, yeah, I remember doing that one!"). I also have three I regularly use to distinguish which version of KSP I am playing.

In-game editor would be inferior to any specialized tools, even MS Paint, and it would distract devs from more important stuff.

What is really needed is an ability to share flags with other players without manually putting them into game files. I think there will be some kind of built-in mod manager, and flags may be treated as mods and shared there

Agree having graphic program to design flag would be overkill but what would be great is to have tools in game to use flag well like:-

A) have a default flag of our own. either upload own or pick a stock one

B) use the new paint system to pick up colours from our flag 

System picks a 3 colour scheme based on flag.

Stretch goals

C) have paint system use flag design as super graphics for part allowing us scale the flag to any size to wrap a face or the whole part. Like wings and tails. Thinking like this

Spoiler

7513448976_4ff1f5dee6_b.jpg

D) Allow as to have multiple "companies/divisions" to have own default flag and autocolor saved ships spawned for that company in company colours

Say if you have a set design for an air race in multi-player each player would get the colour scheme based on their flag.