KSP Community Planet Enhancement: A Community-Collab Modding Project

Jason Kerman

What is Community Planet Enhancement?

Community Planet Enhancement (CPE) is a planet modding project opened to the KSP community. It aims to remake all stock planets to make them more aesthetic and more interesting to explore, without changing any physics parameters of the stock system.

Who can participate in this project?

Anyone with good knowledge and skill of KSP planet modding.

How can I participate?

• Step.1: Join the CPE discord server.
  • Step.2: Show us your skills of planet modding.
    • It means to make sure all team members have the ability to make good stuffs. You can show your published/WIP mod, or simply some screenshots of your work.
    • For new modders, we encourage you to join Kopernicus server instead to learn and improve your skills. You are always welcomed after you have learned enough.
  • Step.3: Pick (a) planet(s) you want to remake.
  • Step.4: Announce your plan in the corresponding channel under the CELESTIAL BODIES category when you start working.
    • Showing your progress is always encouraged.
  • Step.5: Submit your work to moderator(s).

What if I want to make a planet but someone else has already started/finished?

You can either:

• Ask the person whether he/she is willing to work together.
  • Go ahead and make your own version. Later the final version is chosen by voting of the judging committee.

Who can be a member of the judging committee?

• Anyone who has submitted their work.
  • Anyone with good planet modding skills and elected from KSP forums.

Note: Judges cannot participate in voting related to their own work.

What is the requirement for submission?

•  Keeping the main features of stock planets.

For example, the main color of stock planets, main biomes, Kerbin and Laythe’s land distribution, Duna’s ice caps, Dres’ valley, etc.

• Without changing any physics parameters of the stock system.

Radius, mass, orbit, atmosphere, temperature, etc.

• File lists
    • Kopernicus config (Only edit the following nods unless necessary: ScaledVersion, PQS, Ocean, Biomes)
    • Height map
    • Normal map
    • Scaled-space color map
    • PQS color map
    • Biome map
    • EVE config and cloud maps if needed
    • Scatterer config if needed
  • Other things you can make
    • Sunflares
    • Skybox
    • Planet Icons
    • TUFX Profile
    • Any other things related

Gallery

Spoiler

Kerbin:

4bWCCpH.png

Aie06DC.png

mR4jT05.png

is42PSZ.png

Eve:

image.png

image.png

image.png?width=830&height=664

image.png?width=585&height=468

Jool:

Laythe:

jjsF5Ja.png

bFYvvA9.png

3AJ60Ge.png

Edited by Jason Kerman

My contribution so far, Eve.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Expanded environmental details for Eve:

The Iodine Cycle

The upper atmosphere takes a duller purple and dull yellow color as most of the dense iodine fluoride moves to the bottom, along with the presence of elemental Fluorine In the upper atmosphere Iodine produced from the decomposition of IF (iodine fluoride) that is pushed up by increasing vapors reacts with AgF (silver fluoride) (that comes from fluorine and silver oxide reacting in eves upper atmosphere.) producing Iodine mono fluoride, an unstable brown solid which falls as hail to Eve’s surface, which rapidly decomposes into Iodine and Iodine Pentafluoride, which makes up the bull of Eve’s oceans aside from flammable organic contents like ethanol and methanol among other things. Trace water ice crystals react with the Iodine Pentafluoride producing toxic and corrosive Hydrofluoric acid and Iodic acid, which creates a nastily corrosive environment. Eve is unusually rich in Iodine and Fluorine , elemental and compounds, suggested by the fact that if it weren’t it would have finished this closed environmental cycle. In the upper atmosphere, raging lightning electrolyzes mixtures of Potassium HydrogenDifluoride and HF (which comes from potassium deposits reacting with HF) releasing back elemental Fluorine, giving the upper atmospheric layer its dull yellow hue.

Jool by me and partially @NathlessOneimage.png?width=830&height=664

"Jool is the sole, green, large gas giant on the outskirts of Kerbol. It features a wide array of moons, from atmospheric to asteroid alike. Vanadium II chloride, which came from the end of a closed chemical decomposition cycle starting from the beginning of time, colors everything a calm and peaceful blue-green near the equator. Near the poles during the formation of the kerbol system, there was an abundance of sulfur in the outer system caused by planets throwing out many lighter elements into wide arrays of belts formed an abundance of sulfur dioxide in the atmosphere which combined with wide varieties of Vanadium compounds such as Vanadium Pentoxide to form Vanadyl Sulfate which explains the blue luster of the poles. Other than that, Jool also has a beautiful kerbolset and kerbolrise, and has a lot to discover."
Edited by smushanoob

I have taken a break from Precursors to add my contribution to CPE: Laythe

FFkyoBh.png

I wanted to create a Laythe that is more than just saltwater and sand. Laythe is an ocean world, so I have drastically improved the underwater exploration experience in this revamp. Laythe's ocean floor is no longer random noise; as players dive beneath the waves, they will encounter realistic underwater landforms and alien surface scatters on their journey into the abyss. Laythe's surface has also undergone a major reimagining with the addition of massive polar caps and chains of volcanic islands. 

The edge of one of Laythe's continental plates--diving deeper is not recommended

l0ZJyqd.png

Landing on a volcanic island

bFYvvA9.png

Laythe is still in development. Stay tuned for progress updates!

Edited by wpetula

• 2 weeks later...

Laythe V1.0

jjsF5Ja.png

Admiring Jool

3AJ60Ge.png

Twilight

xRn28s1.png

The Mesopelagic Zone (illuminated)

f0uxDGU.png

Science definitions, additional terrain scatters, and Parallax support will be added as CPE nears release. 

For now, it's time to move on to another celestial body!

Edited by wpetula

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Beautiful stuff! Is any of this open for download? Some people, myself included, may only care to replace select planets. Also, is this only for the bodies themselves, or would edited rotation & orbital characteristics and/or axial tilt support with principia count as well (because I have a lot of those)?

On 3/6/2023 at 12:45 PM, Iodyne said:

Beautiful stuff! Is any of this open for download? Some people, myself included, may only care to replace select planets. Also, is this only for the bodies themselves, or would edited rotation & orbital characteristics and/or axial tilt support with principia count as well (because I have a lot of those)?

I have some downloads somewhere, if you're still interested. 

• 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, warcrimeswilly said:

I would like to download these

smushanoob1/KCPE-EveAndJool: Archive for the hiatus mod, KCPE, with the files for Jool and Eve. (github.com)
I have the files for laythe, but I won't release them if/when @wpetula personally releases them himself/allows for them to be released.

I can give you what I made for the mod, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 questions about these planet enhancments.First of all before i start i have to say that i love them!. the pics shown are absolutely amazing and for someone that doesnt have the laptop to run AVP or Spectra these planet enhancments are my next choice, especially the kerbin one.

Now on to my questions.

My first question  is if the Eve planet enhancment mod comes with the clouds and the other stuff on the ground ? So are the clouds and the ground stuff included in the mod or if they are something you can toggle?. Or do they come with EVE for the clouds and Parallax for the grass, trees, rockes and whatever else?. I asked that question only for Eve because of if it does come with the mod and it cant be toggled then my fps will be screwed and because Eve clouds dont look like that in any visual enhanmcent i have tried. Now from what i understand from the pics Kerbin's clouds are from Eve or something else? and Laythe i downloaded it before and i have no clouds since i didnt have any visual enhancmens that add clouds.

Now my seconds question is when does it come out?. Now i am asking this because i know absolutely nothing about modding.. but seeing the scale of this progress i dont expect it to be finished this year and maybe even next year.. If anyone of you can tell me atleast when their planet enhancments end and if they are actually going to put it out when they end it will make my day!

My last question. Are there people working on the other planets? lets say Jool's moons or Kerbin's moons? or even Duna? I dont see any photos here so? I am just asking to know if you put out the mods will it be all available or all underdevelompent or when you finish you will have to do the other planets?. I mean by other planets i mostly means Duna because i dont know what you can do to planets without an atmosphere? 

Anyways thats all of my questions. If someone can answer some i will love to know!

4 hours ago, Ntinos said:

I have 3 questions about these planet enhancments.First of all before i start i have to say that i love them!. the pics shown are absolutely amazing and for someone that doesnt have the laptop to run AVP or Spectra these planet enhancments are my next choice, especially the kerbin one.

Now on to my questions.

My first question  is if the Eve planet enhancment mod comes with the clouds and the other stuff on the ground ? So are the clouds and the ground stuff included in the mod or if they are something you can toggle?. Or do they come with EVE for the clouds and Parallax for the grass, trees, rockes and whatever else?. I asked that question only for Eve because of if it does come with the mod and it cant be toggled then my fps will be screwed and because Eve clouds dont look like that in any visual enhanmcent i have tried. Now from what i understand from the pics Kerbin's clouds are from Eve or something else? and Laythe i downloaded it before and i have no clouds since i didnt have any visual enhancmens that add clouds.

Now my seconds question is when does it come out?. Now i am asking this because i know absolutely nothing about modding.. but seeing the scale of this progress i dont expect it to be finished this year and maybe even next year.. If anyone of you can tell me atleast when their planet enhancments end and if they are actually going to put it out when they end it will make my day!

My last question. Are there people working on the other planets? lets say Jool's moons or Kerbin's moons? or even Duna? I dont see any photos here so? I am just asking to know if you put out the mods will it be all available or all underdevelompent or when you finish you will have to do the other planets?. I mean by other planets i mostly means Duna because i dont know what you can do to planets without an atmosphere? 

Anyways thats all of my questions. If someone can answer some i will love to know!

Hi Ntinos! I'm glad you like it. Currently this project has been paused since I'm busy with other stuff and don't have enough time for it. I hope I can get back to this project later. I will reply to this thread when I'm ready to pick it up again.

On 7/25/2023 at 3:59 PM, Jason Kerman said:

Hi Ntinos! I'm glad you like it. Currently this project has been paused since I'm busy with other stuff and don't have enough time for it. I hope I can get back to this project later. I will reply to this thread when I'm ready to pick it up again.

putting this here ill be ready to work on this again whenever you're ready :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.