BDarmoury 2.0 Suggestions

Kung_fu1015

BDarmoury was THE weapons mod for Kerbal Space Program. With a sequel coming up,  it will be interesting to see what gets improved. 

The original mod was good, but the variety was a little low. Also, there were  no space-based weapons or items, apart from that one missile (if you were going to add 1 thing specifically for space, why not add more?)

One of the features I am most excited about adding to BDarmoury will be colonies. The potential the has is massive.

Firstly, it will be possible to set up colonies, then go to war with others. This may add an interesting aspect to the mod, especially if unique mechanics are integrated to facilitate this.

Another thing that is harder but wayyy cooler is extra structures for colonies that are military focused.

Examples include:

AA guns

Ammo storage depot

Long-range (perhaps interplanetary) Missile silo

Short to medium range missile battery

I don't know what could be added for interstellar travel integration, but it would also be interesting. It could allow for grand conflicts across multiple systems, with many Kegadeaths of casualties.

For this to work, the tech tree must have a decent progression path for weapons/other equipment (unguided rocket goes to laser guided goes to active radar missile that impacts at retavitlistic speeds).

Let me know if there is anything you would want for BDA 2.0

Yes!  I would love to be able to battle and simulate an interplanetary war with my friends. Here’s what I’m looking most forward to in a hypothetical BDArmoury 2:

1. A way to set up territories. This way it’s easier to tell which part of a planet is yours and you don’t just have a bunch of colonies scattered everywhere.
  2. A way to capture a colony and transfer all of it’s kerbals to my agency. It would be a bit tedious to have to make a new colony for every single won battle.
  3. An easier solution for launching and managing many different crafts. If Intercept isn’t lying about their new physics architecture, some of the battles that’ll occur (especially on smaller moons like Gilly) are going to be MASSIVE.  Keeping track of many different planes, ground vehicles and possibly even spacecraft is going to be necessary.  This is assuming there isn’t already something like this in stock.
  4. A way to assign and maneuver different “squadrons”. If I’m going to go to war, It would be ideal to be able to use tactics. Winning via sheer numbers can get a bit old after a while. This would probably be really difficult to get to work with spacecraft, but it’s definitely possible to be able to do this with aircraft and ground craft. I think a similar thing that the Command & Conquer games use would be cool, though being able to set a strict route for craft to follow would be a nice addition.
  5. More documentation and a more intuitive, self explanatory UI/UX. I think this is self explanatory.

The great thing about early access is that it would really help modders iterate on their mods before multiplayer and 1.0. Though unlikely, one can hope that BDArmoury 2 (Or some equivalent) can be something like this.

Interesting reading these first two comments... I know I'm going to catch flack for what I'm about to say... but Why is it that we as Mankind just can't keep away from Death and Destruction.  Why must we always head straight for the guns and battles?  My first impression would be that, most if not all, have never really seen combat in their life.... I mean someone really shooting bullets at them... because it's never just One bullet... it's many!  And YES... I HAVE... I'm a retired veteran....  But I say this not to be offensive toward anyone... it's sad that we always tend to lean in that direction.

Now for the suggestion...  I'm curious why Kerbals don't have a Tether?  Early Astronauts and even current ones use tethers when they EVA in Space, yet our poor kerbals are left to drift off should the worst happen.... let alone a Kraken!   I'd also like to see winches, cranes, and such.  I know in KSP 1 we have winches but getting them to connect to the right attachment I've found has been a problem.

SO... 

1. Tethers for Space EVA's and ability to detach the tether when using pack.

2. Winches, cranes and the likes to tow, pull, lift or otherwise grab an object and pull it along or keep it from drifting off.

1 hour ago, Xtra said:

Interesting reading these first two comments... I know I'm going to catch flack for what I'm about to say... but Why is it that we as Mankind just can't keep away from Death and Destruction.  Why must we always head straight for the guns and battles?  My first impression would be that, most if not all, have never really seen combat in their life.... I mean someone really shooting bullets at them... because it's never just One bullet... it's many!  And YES... I HAVE... I'm a retired veteran....  But I say this not to be offensive toward anyone... it's sad that we always tend to lean in that direction.

I get where you’re coming from. The problem is that (at least imo) combat is one of, if not the most fun experiences that you can have in a video game. Nothing really comes close. There’s a reason that Battlefield and COD moments exist. At least it’s just a mod. You know, that’s the beauty of KSP. You can tinker it however you want to your needs.

1 hour ago, Xtra said:

Now for the suggestion...  I'm curious why Kerbals don't have a Tether?  Early Astronauts and even current ones use tethers when they EVA in Space, yet our poor kerbals are left to drift off should the worst happen.... let alone a Kraken!   I'd also like to see winches, cranes, and such.  I know in KSP 1 we have winches but getting them to connect to the right attachment I've found has been a problem.

SO... 

2. Winches, cranes and the likes to tow, pull, lift or otherwise grab an object and pull it along or keep it from drifting off.

I think tethers would be good, especially for new players who don’t know how to use the EVA pack yet. I was forced to learn it the hard way when my Jeb drifted away from his craft never to be seen again.

I think the main thing cranes would be good for are rescue missions. With the new terrain getting stuck is prob gonna be a more common occurrence, so cranes and winches would definitely come in handy.

By the way, if you’re new here you should check out some of the other threads here. Many of them talk about adding new functionality to the game as well as speculating about what they will add to Kerbal 2 in the future. A really good one is “Suggestions not big enough to merit their own thread”. It’s a great way to get your ideas out there quickly.

Edited by BowlerHatGuy3
Error

26 minutes ago, BowlerHatGuy3 said:

By the way, if you’re new here you should check out some of the other threads here. Many of them talk about adding new functionality to the game as well as speculating about what they will add to Kerbal 2 in the future. A really good one is “Suggestions not big enough to merit their own thread”. It’s a great way to get your ideas out there quickly.

I concur with this - that thread is great for ideas that are important to express, but simple enough that discussions around them are probably small. I think that tethers might be in there too - but don’t worry about repeating suggestions if you can’t find the original. I’ll link it below. 

As for war, I agree that it is horrible and terrifying, and it can take away people in the most shocking ways, not to even mention the experience of being in one. I will, however, stand firm in my position that despite not wanting war in my games, or removing the puzzle and strategy of it from the loss of life, I won’t bring down others’ choices, especially if I am allowed to make different ones and not have the same experience. 

I am on the creation and exploration side myself, plenty of other games for going to war. It is a mod though, so you can have your own experience without others needing to experience that.

The biggest stumbling block may be that it has been adopted and maintained, and even tweaked by others but I am not sure the original author is still involved. So will have to see if someone puts in the time for a KSP 2 version.

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

Two is covered by the Kerbal Attachment System mod. One can be covered in space using the same mod, just that the Kerbal is technically the anchor. Fine if you keep the cable loose, but when you reel in you are actually pulling the craft to the Kerbal.

The author of KAS said it is something to do with the way KSP is coded, so having the craft as the anchor, so as to be tethered like in real life, can't work. Put the Kerbal in a craft like a command chair and it will work.

Can be fun on the ground, have your kerbal climb something and stand still. Then winch in and drag the craft up the side of where the Kerbal is standing.

there is so much potential for combat in ksp 2. with colonies it could be way more tactical and strategic. capture eachothers bases and stuff. i would love to have a war world with 2 or 3 people where we start on different planets or atleast ban using the ksc after we have our first colonies if thats not possible.

I actually didnt use bdarmory in ksp 1 so i dont have much to say about what weapons should be added since i dont know what already exist but i hope they actually remake everything and dont keep much from the original. this might seem like a bad idea and like it would take longer time but not really. you cant really use content from the old mod in ksp 2 because the games will probably be too different to keep anything from the original. therefore i think it would be better to remake everything to make things fit with ksp 2.  and some sort of capture system would be awesome so that i dont just destroy peoples colonies but i can actually take them. 

and some people here seem to think there wont be a bdarmory but i can with 100 percent confidence say that there will be some weapon mod if mods are possible.

@BowlerHatGuy3, @ColdJ, @t_v

Thank you... Oh I get that War is just something we humans just can't seem to get away from or enough of.  And I would not say that I wouldn't want it added... I'm a COD and Ghost Sniper player myself... but was just stating something I find interesting that as a species, we just can't help ourselves.  I believe it is the competitive nature of us... Nature does something similar by showing off their prowess in many ways as well.

ColdJ... Yes... KAS does... but I have yet to get a winch to connect to those little Clips.  I can get the Hose clamps to connect, but never those little clips and winches.

I understand the whole 'war is inevitable thing'.  Animals are fighting over territory and mates all the time using teeth and claws, we just have claws that can fly halfway round the world and destroy and entire city,  with things like religion and racism to make things harder. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.