Tex Kerman's Kerbal Space Program!

Tex

Tex Kerman's 
Kerbal Space Program!
(This is just a placeholder until I can make something prettier)

A letter from the Director's Office:

Spoiler

Fellow Taxpayers,

My name is Tex Kerman, and I'm the newly appointed Director of the Kerbal Space Program in this parallel universe. Howdy! I wanted to write this letter extending a good, strong, firm handshake to the good people of Kerbin and beyond with a little introduction, a little bit of a dream, and a little bit of pleading for funding because space is so darn expensive.

As I just said a second ago, for eagle-eyed people like me, my name is Tex Kerman, and I'm the director of the Kerbal Space Program. Now, this may come as a bit of a shock, because I know darn well that a few people have seen me before in this weird multiverse thingy we're living in, with thousands and thousands of versions of Kerbin and the Space Program floating around, being controlled by who knows how many different directors. I've been a pilot and Kosmonaut for a long long time now, about 6 or 7 or 8 years- my memory comes and goes.  I've racked up a lot of flight hours and a lot of time in the classrooms and R&D offices helping design rockets to ride and rodeo on. I've also done a lot of other stuff, but that's besides the main point I'm trying to make.

This Space Program is in my blood- in all of our blood, I think. You reading this, and me writing this. We want to fly in space, whether or not we have the ability to do so one day. Again, me having done so tens or hundreds of times isn't the point. As Director of this new Kerbal Space Program, I intend to gather together the best minds, or at least the least-worst minds, to design rockets, build rockets, fly rockets, and then analyze rocket debris.  I intend to gather each and every little bit of Science I can gather, I intend to visit each world I can, and I intend to lose as few people in the process as possible. We have a killer team at the KSP, and a fantastic group of pilots. I am establishing a little blog here on these forums to detail the exploits of my space program while we do what we do best- fly in space.

Thank you for joining me on this historic ride, it's gonna be a fun one.

-Tex

Featured Image!

eujveyI.jpg
K1 "Moho" rocket lifting off at the Kerbal Space Center. Yes, this is the Kerbal Space Center.

-Table of Contents-

Space Programs
(=) - Failed Programs // (=) - Ongoing Programs // (=) - Discontinued Programs

=Project Capricorn= [link]
=Project Bolide= [link]
=Kerbin Communications[link]
=Kosmonaut Recovery
[link]

Newsflash! Articles
SPACE PROGRAM BEGINS, THEN ENDS

Crew Roster

Name

Role Status Spaceflights

Jebediah Kerman
Valentina Kerman
Tex Kerman
Webb Kerman
Sal Kerman
Jaeger Kerman
Laika Kerman

Bill Kerman
Haddred Kerman

Bob Kerman
Hayrim Kerman

Pilot
Pilot
Pilot
Pilot
Pilot
Pilot
Pilot

Engineer
Engineer

Scientist
Scientist

Active
Active
Active
Active
Active
Active
Active

Active
Active

Active
Active

Statistics

Overall Program Success Rating: 91.7%
Total Missions: 11

Total Failed Missions: 1
Unique Number of Vessels: -
Flags Planted: 0
Kosmonaut Selfies Taken: -
Snack Supply Status: Accepting Donations
Days Since Last Launch: TOO LONG

Fun Facts!

-I decided to choose 7 original pilots as an obvious nod to project Mercury, and named 4 out of the 7 pilots to reflect aspects of either human spaceflight and a nod to an old friend of mine!

-I rotate pilots based on their position in the crew roster. Jebediah first, then Valentina, then Tex Kerman because he was the third in line, and so on and so forth.

-At the time of the docking of KSO-2 and KX-8, I was streaming the mission to my best friend whom lives in Russia.

Edited by Tex

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
- - - - NEWSFLASH! - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Wednesday, November 23, 2022

SPACE PROGRAM BEGINS, THEN ENDS
Kerbal Space Center- In a stunning report, the newly built Kerbal Space Center has announced the beginning and end of a formerly classified space program that has flown 8 successful missions without anybody even knowing the program existed. Kerbal Space Program director, Tex Kerman, stated in a press conference that a secret space program, Project Capricorn, had been in operation for weeks and had flown several successful spacefaring missions, including one manned flyby of the Mun. Public response to this announcement was confusion and optimism.  Hector Kerman, a neighbor to the Kerbal Space Center, stated, "I heard some bangin' and explodin' from over the fence line, but I thought it was a engine backfirin' or something. I didn't know nothin' about no rocket launches." Another neighbor stated, "I thought those streaks of white were weird cloud formations or something. I didn't realize they were rocket trails."

The Kerbal Space Program is expected to release details of the apparently now-complete Project Capricorn shortly.

=Project Capricorn=

Mission Statement: Project Capricorn will prove that Kerbals can fly in space,  perform complex tasks while flying in space, and reach the Mun.
Project Success: 91.7%

Featured Image

a2mICN1.pngThe rendezvous of Tex Kerman aboard KX-5 and Sal Kerman aboard KSO-1.

Image Gallery

Spoiler

a2mICN1.png

The rendezvous of Tex Kerman aboard KX-5 and Sal Kerman aboard KSO-1.

0dnsCM0.png

The rendezvous of Tex Kerman aboard KX-5 and Sal Kerman aboard KSO-1.

Flight Log

Flight: KX-1
Vehicle: K1 "Moho"
Pilot: Jebediah Kerman
Result: Success

Report: KX-01 tested the K1 spacecraft, orbital capabilities, booster rocket, and communication with KSC. Communication link was much stronger than anticipated, booster performed questionably, as was unstable and difficult to maintain attitude. Mission was a great success, landed practically within walking distance of KSC. Further development of re-entry procedures required. 

Flight: KX-2
Pilot: Valentina Kerman

Report: Evaluated revised K1 booster (still needs further revisement, K1 space operations engine is still required for orbital insertion), studied placement of RCS thrusters, refined re-entry procedures from standard 100km circular orbit.

Flight: KX-3
Pilot: Tex Kerman
Result: Failure! (Crew recovered safely.)

Report: This flight was a disaster. The K1 booster was redesigned again, and when I lifted off I tried to set it to a good heading of 90 degrees but the damn thing pitched over way too far. I tried to right it, but even the new winglets weren't enough to right the vehicle. After about 30 or 45 seconds, I reconfigured the staging and separated from the entire booster and orbital module. We need to set up an abort control, I barely made it out of this one. And didn't go to space. Maybe I'll fly the next one.

Flight: KX-4
Pilot: Webb Kerman

Report: KX-4 was a great success. Webb Kerman made it to orbit, discovering severe structural problems with the  K1 booster. He performed an EVA and conducted maneuverability tests. Webb also refined re-entry procedures to land just 70km away from the KSC

Flight: KX-5 
Vehicle: K1 "Moho" Mk II

Report: The Mk II Moho worked phenomenally. Apart from a couple staging issues, the Moho was able to deliver the entire Moho orbital vehicle (That's the capsule and the uppermost engine) into orbit, the exact ceiling of which is yet to be determined. The booster is finally one that works well, using two side booster rockets to aid the main stack. I write this section of the report from space, because now that the KX flights are done for the Moho, Sal is gonna meet me in space for a little rendezvous.
Added 11/24/22: The mission landed safely, Tex Kerman forgot to write up the rest of his report after landing safely.

Flight: KSO-1
Pilot: Sal Kerman

Report: Rendezvous went off without a hitch. In fact, it was nearly a direct ascent rendezvous because it was timed so well. The KX-6 flight was flown before Tex and Sal re-entered.

Flight: KX-6
Pilot: Unmanned

Report: This flight tested a new parachute configuration for the Mk II Moho capsule, as the capsule was fitted with a small docking port that required moving the parachutes from the top of the vehicle. The test was a success, and the parachutes worked as intended.

Flight: KX-7
Vehicle: K2 "Amur"

Report: This flight tested the K2 "Amur" spacecraft and booster. Its purpose will primarily be used for tourist flights. The test was a success, though the K2 flies quite differently than the K1. The first stage, with boosters, is quite powerful, though the central stack has no gimbal capabilities, which will need correction. The upper stages are not very powerful. In fact, this test did not reach full orbit.

Flight: KSO-2
Pilot: Jaeger Kerman

Report: KSO-2 is meant to be a target for the next flight, KX-8, as it further tests the K2 "Amur" spacecraft.
Added 11/24/22: KSO-2 landed successfully following the docking of KX-8, having re-entered first.

Flight: KX-8
Vehicle: K2 "Amur"
Pilot: Laika Kerman

Report: KX-8 is meant to test the K2 "Amur" rocket in orbital flight, as well as perform a docking with Jaeger Kerman's spacecraft, modified with docking port. This flight went exceedingly well, as the ascent profile was much more gradual and realistic than expected, and the re-entry was very educational in learning the re-entry profile for a 200km orbit. Laika Kerman landed on the ground, probably less than 6km away from the KSC, the closest landing yet.

Flight: KX-9
Vehicle: K3 "Unity"

Report: KX-9 was a simple unmanned test of the K3 "Unity" capsule's parachute system, which was successful.

Flight: KX-10
Pilot: Jebediah Kerman
Mission: In his second spaceflight, Jebediah Kerman will evaluate the next-generation K3 spacecraft, and if orbital tests go well, will attempt to fly by the Mun.

Report: The test was completely successful, and Jebediah entered and exited the Mun's SOI. In addition, he performed a re-entry test from Munar altitude, lowering periapse to 40km, which resulted in a gentle re-entry path. Testing needs to be done to make these re-entries accurate. Also, it is evident that the space program needs a network of communications satellites for Munar and future Minmus operations.

Conclusion

Project Capricorn was our very first series of trips into space, and all of Capricorn's major goals were accomplished. In fact, they were accomplished because these goals came AFTER the project was concluded! That's right, Capricorn flights weren't even considered part of a unified program until after these goals were accomplished. The main point of these flights was to study spaceflight, practice rocket design, and practice launch and re-entry procedures for safe and efficient launches and recoveries. It was also for working out exactly how and what to report to you, the viewing public.

Edited by Tex

=Project Bolide=

Mission Statement: Project Bolide will perform basic Munar operations, such as flybys and orbits, while testing and perfecting return trajectories and procedures from Munar altitudes.
Project Success: 100%

Featured Image

pSBp3yl.jpg
The K3 "Unity" Spacecraft up close.

Image Gallery

Spoiler

n/a

Flight Log

Flight: KSO-3
Pilot: Valentina Kerman
Mission: Valentina will test and carefully record her ascent profile to provide clear instructions for how to fly the K3, as well as repeat the flight of KX-10 and carefully record her descent profile to determine how best to make Munar re-entries more precise and routine.

Report: Valentina took careful notes of the ascent profile for the K3, and less careful notes about the return trajectory. KSO-4 will test lunar orbital flight as well as testing returns from high Munar orbit.

Flight: KSO-4
Mission: KSO-4 will perform basic operations in a 2,000,000m circular orbit around the Mun, a very high orbit. Pilot will perform an EVA, recovering scientific data gathered from instruments aboard the craft, and record various notes about the orbital insertion and particularly re-entry profiles.

Report: There were several changes made to the re-entry pocedures. The Munar orbit turned out to be 1,800,000m rather than 2,000,000m. In addition, a new procedure was attempted, wherein pilot Kerman stayed in a very high orbit, Munar altitude, until a precise re-entry could be attempted. Upon realizing a precise re-entry from this altitude would be nearly impossible without math that nobody wants to do, the pilot instead reduced the obit to 1,000,000m above Kerbin, then was able to attempt a precise re-entry. Luckily, the re-entry profile worked, and pilot was able to land within driving distance to the KSC. KSO-5 will follow a similar profile to repeat the success.

Edited by Tex

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.