Will ksp2 add timed events like tide? sunflare? aura?  Or some disaster like wind, earthquake, and even volcano?

Or changing planets that will change over time, like lava rising and lowering, temperature change based on its position?

Whats more... A planner/trigger which can decide some celestial object's events happen on a certain time, in order to make wonderful stories/challenge?

I could definitely see  Rask and Rusk having periodic tidal/earthquake activity that would be predictable enough (after scanning a bit for science) that one could safely land and launch within a periodic window, but deadly if one is oblivious.

Ocean tides on Kerbin, with 2 moons, would be interesting.  I don't even want to think about the tidal forces on Laythe 

13 hours ago, darthgently said:

I could definitely see  Rask and Rusk having periodic tidal/earthquake activity that would be predictable enough (after scanning a bit for science) that one could safely land and launch within a periodic window, but deadly if one is oblivious.

Ocean tides on Kerbin, with 2 moons, would be interesting.  I don't even want to think about the tidal forces on Laythe 

Oh, do you know?

Moho in 0.17 is red. You can find its pictures in my posts and wiki(I edited its article).

There is a volcano on it.

What's more???!

I hacked ksp0.17 data and found a file named ''lavaplanet-nolava00'' which is moho's texture.

This means that timing events is a PLANNED feature that later scrapped. Moho might have a planned "lava" event in that version, which can explain moho's hot, engine-ruining atmosphere in 0.17.

3 hours ago, Kerbal123_Furry said:

Oh, do you know?

No, sadly. Just saying it would make for good play

3 hours ago, Kerbal123_Furry said:

I hacked ksp0.17 data and found a file named ''lavaplanet-nolava00'' which is moho's texture.

This means that timing events is a PLANNED feature that later scrapped. Moho might have a planned "lava" event in that version, which can explain moho's hot, engine-ruining atmosphere in 0.17.

I don't see the chain of logic between what you found and assuming that timed events were planned then scrapped

7 hours ago, darthgently said:

lavaplanet-nolava00

7 hours ago, darthgently said:

I don't see the chain of logic between what you found and assuming that timed events were planned then scrapped

lavaplanet-nolava00

That means that this planet might have a ''lava'' state.

Edited by Kerbal123_Furry

21 minutes ago, darthgently said:

I don't see it. Moho is covered with solidified lava flows.  That doesn't mean there were plans for active vulcanism.  Cool idea, but not seeing what you are seeing from a single string from a file

anyway lava planet with no lava is weird, assuming that devgroup had imagined sth. weird.

Screenshot153_moho_vol.pngplus moho have its own atmosphere and high temperature that can make engine glow.

Moho_landing.png

On 11/27/2022 at 3:42 PM, Kerbal123_Furry said:

Oh, do you know?

Moho in 0.17 is red. You can find its pictures in my posts and wiki(I edited its article).

There is a volcano on it.

What's more???!

On 11/27/2022 at 6:51 PM, darthgently said:

To both of you, the official in-game description/info panel on Moho says that, according to kerbal mythology, Moho had fields of lava

15 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

To both of you, the official in-game description/info panel on Moho says that, according to kerbal mythology, Moho had fields of lava

Exactly, but is it fields liquid lava or fields of old solidified lava flows?  I think "fields" instead of "lakes" or "rivers" says a lot.  But the lack of any active vulcanism says most

47 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Exactly, but is it fields liquid lava or fields of old solidified lava flows?  I think "fields" instead of "lakes" or "rivers" says a lot.  But the lack of any active vulcanism says most

Just checked, the actual description actually says "flowing oceans"

6 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

maybe a refer to 0.17 moho?

7 hours ago, Kerbal123_Furry said:

maybe a refer to 0.17 moho?

Yeah that's my whole point

Also, if there are rising and falling liquid levels, i think it would be fun if the regions the liquid sometimes covers have their own biomes, and stuff like the surface samples would say something like "this rock looks like it has been shaped by lava" or something

6 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

Yeah that's my whole point

Also, if there are rising and falling liquid levels, i think it would be fun if the regions the liquid sometimes covers have their own biomes, and stuff like the surface samples would say something like "this rock looks like it has been shaped by lava" or something

I just imagined an easter egg Eva experiment if next to liquid lava:

Jeb sticks a marshmallow on the end of his golf club and roasts it.

Or maybe a Cornish game hen followed by s'mores 

Edited by darthgently

On 11/27/2022 at 1:42 PM, Kerbal123_Furry said:

This means that timing events is a PLANNED feature that later scrapped.

No it doesn't. A single vague file name does not provide any clue as to what the devs were planning.

17 hours ago, darthgently said:

I just imagined an easter egg Eva experiment if next to liquid lava:

Jeb sticks a marshmallow on the end of his golf club and roasts it.

Or maybe a Cornish game hen followed by s'mores 

That is truly epic

8 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

No it doesn't. A single vague file name does not provide any clue as to what the devs were planning.

What about the literal official description of the literal planet

5 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:
14 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

What about the literal official description of the literal planet

"Moho figures in Kerbal mythology as a fiery place with oceans of flowing lava. In reality however, it’s much less interesting."

Please explain your point

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

"Moho figures in Kerbal mythology as a fiery place with oceans of flowing lava. In reality however, it’s much less interesting."

CAN'T YOU SEE HOW OBVIOUS IT IS!? The description could very well be a reference to a cancelled feature. How does the bolded part in the end affect that?

9 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:
11 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

CAN'T YOU SEE HOW OBVIOUS IT IS!? The description could very well be a reference to a cancelled feature. How does the bolded part in the end affect that?

Let me rephrase myself

A single vague anything does not provide any clue as to what the devs were planning. Moho's descriptions means nothing, you are reading too deep into things.

Edited by Bej Kerman

Please don't start fighting, I don't think it's the goal of this thread.

20 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

A single vague anything does not provide any clue as to what the devs were planning. Moho's descriptions means nothing, you are reading too deep into things.

I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of cool ideas for timed events floating around - asteroid / comet impacts, tsunamis, dust/snow/storms, land slides, avalanches, cryo/volcanoes eruptions, earthquakes etc. Some of these should be discovered / announced ahead of time so we can set up missions to observe them. Others should be a surprise. ;)

Edited by Vl3d

On 11/27/2022 at 8:12 AM, darthgently said:

Maybe special results for special events?

39 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

the game is supposed to be about a person's spacecraft making and flying skills, not about disasters which can't be done anything about.

The point is to have situations in which you have a limited time window to land and do science, or events which force you to takeoff and leave quickly, or just really cool looking visuals like the Shoemaker-Levy 9 impact (which was observed by a lot of telescopes).

2 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

No offense, but i think that any kind of disaster events are a kinda unfair and distracting feature, for the game is supposed to be about a person's spacecraft making and flying skills, not about disasters which can't be done anything about.

I agree mostly, that is why I stipulated that doing some science would reveal a safe window for landing.  Mods perfectly fill the gap for the random disaster oriented rocket preppers.

It is worth considering that it could be a good thing if KSPn goes beyond just building rockets, but good idea to keep that at its core