Spacecraft wants to spin for no apparent reason

I've started to have this problem more often in my current 1.12.4 save, but sometimes for no reason that I can see, my spacecraft begin to turn a certain direction and won't stop. It's not from any phantom forces, I can see in the bottom left that the pitch/yaw/roll indicators are active without me doing anything or having SAS on.  Is there anyway to fix or prevent this, or does anyone even know why this is happening?

I had this happen when I inadvertently changed the trim controls. If it happens again, look for the trim indicators or try to reset them (Alt-X). [I totally forgot that trim indicators where a mod. Shouldhavebeenstock! :) ]

Well, there was one time when I had a controller attached that fell behind the computer and gave odd random inputs. But those are all the usual causes I can think of.

19 hours ago, HansAcker said:

I had this happen when I inadvertently changed the trim controls. If it happens again, look for the trim indicators or try to reset them (Alt-X). [I totally forgot that trim indicators where a mod. Shouldhavebeenstock! :) ]

Well, there was one time when I had a controller attached that fell behind the computer and gave odd random inputs. But those are all the usual causes I can think of.

Whoa, hey, pressing alt-x actually worked! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 11:27 PM, Yellowburn10 said:

Whoa, hey, pressing alt-x actually worked! Thank you!

I think this is stock, not a mod.

For others who ends up here later:

If alt-x hadn't worked I was going to suggest the hack of going into warp momentarily.  This will halt any roll, pitch, or yaw if not in atmosphere (can rails warp).

KSP has some bugs where spurious accelerations can occur that going on rails can squash.  If it only works temporarily then go to another scene that causes the vessel to unload, then back again.  If that doesn't work then exit/restart KSP entirely

13 hours ago, darthgently said:

I think this is stock, not a mod.

For others who ends up here later:

If alt-x hadn't worked I was going to suggest the hack of going into warp momentarily.  This will halt any roll, pitch, or yaw if not in atmosphere (can rails warp).

KSP has some bugs where spurious accelerations can occur that going on rails can squash.  If it only works temporarily then go to another scene that causes the vessel to unload, then back again.  If that doesn't work then exit/restart KSP entirely

Yeah, I had a few visual mods installed, but I had removed them just to see if something was happening with that, and nothing happened.

I actually did most everything else you suggested first with no avail. I figured from there it wasn't some sort of phantom force or anything, along with what I said earlier. Heck, on the craft in question, I had a staged rocket that had no power or control, and even that still wanted to spin as well. Or at least it tried, I could see that whenever I time warped the engine gimbal on it would be straight, but when I would return to normal time it would immediately twist to the side again.

15 minutes ago, Yellowburn10 said:

Yeah, I had a few visual mods installed, but I had removed them just to see if something was happening with that, and nothing happened.

I actually did most everything else you suggested first with no avail. I figured from there it wasn't some sort of phantom force or anything, along with what I said earlier. Heck, on the craft in question, I had a staged rocket that had no power or control, and even that still wanted to spin as well. Or at least it tried, I could see that whenever I time warped the engine gimbal on it would be straight, but when I would return to normal time it would immediately twist to the side again.

It is good to know that trim can apparently produce spurious accelerations.  I'd seen the theory in posts, but never had it happen, nor seen a first hand unambiguous account.  I think I saw it described on Reddit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.