Why do people hate the new launcher so much?

spacecow23

hello, i have been playing ksp since 2020 and i have almost 500 ingame hours, and as everyone knows recently the new version came out with the launcher.

I was looking at what people tought about this update and they were mad as hell, i even saw a group of people agreeing to not get ksp2 if it had a launcher, but why? I mean, its annoying, but why would it lead you to hate the game to much?  And looking at steam review graphs the game has getting more bad reviews than usual.  

In my opinion the launcher was not that bad, and it didnt cause any problems at all. But if you all are going to hate so much on this game at least give me a reason like dam, you all are gona hate on a game you spent thousands of hours on just because they added an extra step to play the game? 

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

This is not about KSP but about Take Two, who have a well deserved reputation for being your typical sociopathic corporation.   They are now making YOU the product that they sell to others.  You are now a commodity to be bought and sold.  That is how those launchers are used elsewhere and there is no reason to think that T2 is any different.    That launcher is now disabled on my rig.

On 11/27/2022 at 4:38 PM, miklkit said:

This is not about KSP but about Take Two, who have a well deserved reputation for being your typical sociopathic corporation.   They are now making YOU the product that they sell to others.  You are now a commodity to be bought and sold.  That is how those launchers are used elsewhere and there is no reason to think that T2 is any different.    That launcher is now disabled on my rig.

How do you disable it? 

Those negative reviews are commentary on the publisher not the actual game. The launcher offers no benefit to players yet consumes some memory and CPU, so it's just bloatware. People who want to see ads can visit Take Two's website. KSP players have been playing the game for a decade never needing this launcher.

I downloaded but set it aside 1.12.4 because it offers me nothing. I don't need a launcher, I'm long past beginner tutorials, and none of the long-time bugs in the game were addressed.

Edited by DeadJohn

The KSP launcher is a textbook example of “worse than useless”:

• A redundant UI with a redundant button to start the game, which we already had;
  • Zero in-game utility;
  • Uses processor and memory;
  • Crashes a lot;
  • Can be removed from the game with zero in-game impact.

But management gets what management wants…

16 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

How do you disable it? 

I use this little gizmo.

I have been on Steam for many years and all my screenies are there except for a few on Imgur.  This doodad lets me access and add to those screenies while continuing to play KSP.  In other words, it lets me continue with no changes.

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

The KSP launcher is a textbook example of “worse than useless”:

• A redundant UI with a redundant button to start the game, which we already had;
  • Zero in-game utility;
  • Uses processor and memory;
  • Crashes a lot;
  • Can be removed from the game with zero in-game impact.

But management gets what management wants…

I'm thankful for your last bullet point. That's the only good part of this new "feature".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.