Reduce reaction wheels to more realistic values

stk2008

Is there an MM config that removes reaction wheels from lets say cockpits of planes and also reduces them on other parts to more realistic values.

I have seen mods like Mandatory RCS ETC, but they seem to be very old mods now.

I know I can turn off the reaction wheels manually VIA PAW menu in editors, but I am looking for a more real play through

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by stk2008

It's actually pretty easy to create one yourself using ModuleManager patches.  All you need is to install the ModuleManager mod and then create a text file in your game's GameData folder with the name ending in .cfg [e.g. ReactionBork.cfg]

@PART[mk2Cockpit_Inline|mk2Cockpit_Standard|Mark1Cockpit|Mark2Cockpit]
{
	-MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel] {}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel]
	{
		@PitchTorque *= 0.1
		@YawTorque *= 0.1
		@RollTorque *= 0.1
	}
}

The first 'block' removes all reaction wheels from the four parts inside the brackets.  The second 'block' looks at all the parts that have reaction wheels and reduces their power to 10% of the original (you can change this to whatever you like).

I wish stock KSP already had this kind of manual config set up on the Difficulty settings. Hoping KSP2 will look at these aswell.

Same way Hard mode in Career reduces your profit and science yield, it should also set a lower value for reaction wheels.

On 11/30/2022 at 3:13 PM, stk2008 said:

Is there an MM config that removes reaction wheels from lets say cockpits of planes

Complementary to @Pehvbot 's answer (which seeks to begin to teach how to use MM for your purposes) but shouldn't be installed alongside this, I wrote part of a modlet which does exactly this but also allows for you to tag cockpits from part mods (if you use them and you choose, preferrably late game spaceplane ones) that shouldn't lose their reaction wheels. It does a few other things too, but doesn't also buff RCS thruster power.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2578/Rocketology

Spoiler

The rebalance does the following things:

• Makes engines with certain propellants to have certain multiples of their original cost and entry cost.
    • Solid rockets --> 2x
    • LiquidFuel rockets --> 3x
    • Liquid + Solid combo rockets --> 4x
  • Makes crew and command parts to have certain multiples of their original cost and entry cost.
    • Drone cores --> 3x
    • Crew cabins --> 5x
    • Pods and cockpits --> 10x
  • Makes airplane cockpits (where possible and reasonable, primarily the stock ones) to lose their reaction wheels, as IRL they would not have those.
  • Removes stack nodes from Making History structural panels.

Making those certain things (in spoiler) more expensive adds to incentive to do full/high reusability programs if that's your thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.