Project FROSTBURN: An ANCIENT 0.17 Playthrough---No maneuvers!

Kerbal123_Furry

Current target: MOHO Again but now with only one launch!

plz watch the last page!

Tylo returnhttps://www.bilibili.com/video/BV13i4y1r7ae/?spm_id_from=333.999.0.0

Laythe returnhttps://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1p44y1D7QS/?spm_id_from=333.999.0.0

Moho returnhttps://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1114y1A72w/?spm_id_from=333.999.0.0

About why I started this everythng: Once upon a time(Read:2 years ago), When I was reading Moho article, i found a picture about a Red moho.This picture show me a totally different moho that is red, hot, and have an atmosphere. So i became interested about this version, determined to find this planet that ''vanished''.Moho_landing.png

But before reaching my ultimate goal at that time(moho return), I looked up Youtube to find some easier interplanetary returning mission to help me plan my moho return. Then I found a Laythe return mission trial, showing a successful laythe landing and orbit returning and a failed Kerbin returning. I tweaked his craft then started the exploration of 0.17 Ver.

Watch more

Edited by Kerbal123_Furry

Part 1--Launch&Transfer Lander

The Lander was first launched into a LKO, Waiting for transfer window.

Note that Kerbin in 0.17 is yellower than present Kerbin.

Screenshot172.png

Kerbin escape burn

Screenshot171.png

Jool transfer orbit

Screenshot175.png

The transfer phase angle of jool is ~95 degree, due to Jothe periapsisol's huge SOI, it is impossible to miss it unless you didn't get the angle right.

Jool transfer is easy, although there are no maneuvers. Just accelerate to sun prograde, wait until the apoapsis reach jool orbit.

To align orbit incline, just align your camera to your orbit plane, make your orbit and target's orbit both turn into two lines.Their crossing is the place of your align acceleration.(No target locking in 0.17)

3 minutes ago, Deddly said:

I don't envy you building and planning for interplanetary missions in this version :)

I especially look forward to seeing Moho... I wonder if this is the version of Moho that burns your craft?

YES!!!!!

HATE MOHO!!!

I HAVE TO LAND ON ITS VOLCNO OR ENGINE GO BOOM!!!

Part2: Lander Jool Capture

Screenshot177.png

Ronfrod with his lander floating peacefully, waiting the impending Jool encounter.

Screenshot185.png

A successful Jool aerobrake. Note that jool have its own normal map for its clouds.

The spacecraft is lack on fuel and because of the lacking maneuver nodes, I have to spend more fuel on tweaking and trying. So an aerobrake is needed in order to lower the periapsis to Laythe orbit.

The proper braking height is about 118500 meters high. No heat shield is needed, because in 0.17(and every pre-1.0 versions) atmosphere don't give any heat.

On 12/8/2022 at 3:13 AM, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Best version of KSP if you dont count every version after it :sticktongue:

It's the hardest with NO doubt. Maneuvers didnt appear in this version. So does Target mode and AN and DN.

Part6: Rescuer&Lander ascending stage Meeting 

Texts Warning!!!

Screenshot308.png

I First put my rescuer's orbit periapsis nearby Lander periapsis.

Then align incline, and more pe-ap align.

Spoiler

To align orbit incline, just align your camera to your orbit plane, make your orbit and target's orbit both turn into two lines.Their crossing is the place of your align acceleration.(No target locking in 0.17)

Two crafts ended up in two orbits which was Verrry near (about 800m difference)

After a long time warp, They slowly meet.

Wait until a  "nearby spacecraft" sign appear. It will show the  distance of two spacecraft.

Warp until the distance stopped to  decrease. Quick aim your spacecraft to Target retrograde (need you to observe by yourself, doesn't show in navball) Then ingite until the sign stopped moving. Aim spacecraft to target then ignite  in order to accelerate toward target.

Repeat multiple times until distance below 200m.

Lander kerbal go E.V.A.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/images/a/a0/Screenshot244.pngScreenshot244.png

Screenshot245.png

Part 7Kerbin transfer (Ending)

The rescuer left the empty lander behind, then accelerate to jool prograde.

Screenshot2046.png

Lower the sun periapsis to Kerbin orbit.

Screenshot246.png

Kerbin meeting: measure the phase angle with Kerbin while Passing PE.

Use the phase angle to calculate Kerbin transfer.

(Phase angle÷360°)x106.5+(106.5x2 or 3)=Proper Transfer orbit period(Days)

Screenshot247.png

Kerbin Transfer succeed!

Screenshot249.png

Final maneuver to lower Kerbin Pe.Note that two NERV got ripped by The Deep Space Cthulhu.

Deep Space Cthulhu

Deep Space Cthulhu is a fan-made term for a version 0.17 bug similar to the Kraken, except it only seems to attack when exiting high time warp speeds. Instead of adding phantom forces, Deep Space Cthulhu instead tends to detach parts from one another. In milder, yet more infuriating forms, Deep Space Cthulhu will instead detach small groups of engines, making it impossible to perform orbital burns. Cthulhu is a cosmic entity from H.P. Lovecraft's novels, andbears a slight resemblance to a Kraken. It has been reported that Cthulhu can attack ships that are still on the launch pad when coming out of a high time warp.

Screenshot259.png

NERV last ignited for deaccelerate preventing chute torn off

v

File:Screenshot261.png

Laythe return succeed!

Part2: Lander Moho transfer

%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_202%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_202%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_202

I first aligned incline and periapsis with moho orbit.

Then i deccelerate at pe to match speed with moho, lower apoapsis to someplace near moho orbit.

Then wait for few rounds when moho got near then lower(when Moho is in front of you)/rise (when Moho is behind you) the apoapsis.

%E5%BE%AE%E4%BF%A1%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87_202

Ta-da!