Poor Kerbal's space program - no contract career with standard lifters

TheFlyingKerman

After 2 years of research our scientist was finally able to extract the ore inside the Minmus sample and then turn it into useful rocket fuel. The engineers built an ISRU device that automates the process. As Jool Surveyor I was approaching its target, we decided to send a prototype mining and refinery vessel to Minmus for a test, before sending it to Jool.

Pol Miner I Mission Pt 1

Spoiler

In order to fit the S-3D lifter, our engineers came up a miniature mining vessel, the Pol Miner I. It carries a drill, a small converter, an RTG as the power source, and cooling panels and batteries, all within 9.5t.

dGWv4u.png

The Delta V was still tight, so the ship had to rely on gravity assist from the Mun in order to go to Minmus. There was just enough fuel to land on the surveyed lowland site southeast of Lesser Flat.

dGWQOi.png

On 1/15/2023 at 10:33 PM, Maria Sirona said:

Oof... You have set yourself up for some trouble

The Truth Foundation survives by constantly defying expectations :)

Edited by TheFlyingKerman

More rumor on Kerbin... It appears The Truth Foundation has come up with a new device. It first appeared on the launchpad, but was obviously not a rocket. After a few months, both the small SPH and runway were rebuilt.

dxTNcS.png

Then the device was moved back and refitted in the new SPH. Then, from the runway it moved 3 km to the southwest of KSC.

dxTbjw.png

Some self declared experts thought that the antennas could be programmed into a phased array, which would have much greater sensitivity and transmission power than an individual dish. However, why would the engineers of TFK attempt such stunt, and what is the use of such device remains mysterious.

Meanwhile...

Jool Surveyor I Mission Pt 2

Spoiler

Jool Surveyor I arrived at the Jool system.

dxTUB8.png

It performed a flyby of Tylo, using the moon's gravity to capture into the system, and continued it way to Pol.

dxT5ub.png

Gilly Lander I Mission Pt 3

Spoiler

Gilly Lander I returned to Kerbin and was recovered.

dxTRM3.png

dxTTAl.png

While Jool Surveyor I  maneuvered to Pol, Dres Lander I arrived at  Dres.

Dres Lander I Mission Pt 2 continue from here

On 1/9/2023 at 8:47 PM, TheFlyingKerman said:

Dres Lander Mission Pt I

Spoiler

After a few orbits over Dres performing gravity scans Dres Rover I was detached (there was a strange bug with rover having 0 velocity when spawned, it has to be Alt-F12 ed back to the right orbit).

dMLpAE.png

Other than that Dres Rover I landed easily on Dres with the tiny engine.

dMLEJh.png

The Rover's first mission was to survey a flat landing area on Dres.

dMLjEc.png

Then Dres Lander I landed on Dres, but was off by a few km. That area on Dres was particular rich in science, with the Lowlands, Ridges, Midlands,   Highlands, Impact Craters, Impact Ejecta biomes all with 40 km.

dML6uX.png

After a few days doing science experiments (the gravity scanner was the only experiment on board - other experiments were on the rover) Dres Lamder I lifted off again and docked with Dres Relay I to refuel.

dMLSjr.png

The transfer window was such that after about 70 days at Dres, Dres lander had to begin the flight back to Kerbin.

dMLaDR.png

Pol Miner I Mission Pt 2 continue from here

On 1/16/2023 at 9:49 PM, TheFlyingKerman said:

Pol Miner I Mission Pt 1

Spoiler

As the Jool transfer window was approaching, Pol Miner I was producing fuel much slower than expected. It was decided to send a refuel mission. Minmus Tanker I was launched by the S-3D rocket.

dYlRPC.png

After Minmus Tanker I arrived at Minmus orbit, Pol Miner I hastily lifted off and got refueled.

dYlUFj.png

Then Pol Miner I set off to Jool. Even with fuel received, Delta V was still tight.

Meanwhile, we still had to survey Bop, so we sent another rover.

Bop Lander I Mission Pt 1

Spoiler

Bop Lander I was similar to Jool Surveyor I in design. The probe consisted of a lander section, a rover section which was the same design as the Pol and Dres rover, and a relay / transfer section featuring the more powerful RA-100 antenna. Again the S-3D rocket sent the probe into orbit a few day after Minmus Miner I. Then Bop Lander I burned for Jool (and I forgot to take a screenshot :blush:)

dYl57o.png

Rockets aren't the only way to go into space. The HKA (High Kerbin Atmospheric) began as a project fitting rocket engines to Juno powered science planes, to greatly improve their operational ceiling.

dfjNsM.png

Soon our aircraft engineers argued that an improved rocket plane could send a vehicle into orbit, and such aircraft could land back to KSC after completing its mission. However, such vehicle proved to be to advanced for the time, as the wings, the landing gear and the Juno engines were major liabilities when going into space. On the other hand, the rocket engineers 'took' the idea and produced the highly successful S-2F/G reusable rockets. As nobody saw the need for a space plane, the HKA project practically stopped.

A few years later TFK started a new aircraft project, aiming at building an Eco-friendly, electric powered prop plane, again for mysterious reason. The aircraft engineers regrouped.

dfjC3r.png

At the same time, TFK was confronting the problem of routinely sending multiple Kerbals into high Kerbin orbit, to meet with a space station under planning. The rocket engineers attempted to build a capsule riding the S-3D lifter. They learned that a rocket shaped capsule cannot do a good aero-braking and controlled glide landing back to KSC, while a more aerodynamic design is difficult to integrate with a rocket. This time the plane group silently took up the challenge, taking advantage of new parts developed for the electric plane, as well as the improved construction facility.

They combined a pair of high performance Panther jets, and a Reliant engine for the S-2F lifter, to produce the HKA-3E space plane.

dfjbaX.png

The plane could send 3 Kerbal and some cargo part into LKO, with about 1700 spare Delta V for the subsequent mission. It was capable of aggressive areo braking from high orbit thanks to the fairing protecting the crew cabin. For meridian flight the plane took Val and Bill into orbit and then landed back to KSC runway.

dfjRKG.png

And the result of lottery is...

Jool Surveyor I Mission Pt 3 continue form here

On 1/18/2023 at 8:36 PM, TheFlyingKerman said:

Jool Surveyor I Mission Pt 2

Spoiler

While Dres Lander I was working at Dres, Jool Surveyor I finally arrived at Pol after a 3-years flight. It entered a polar orbit. From there the orbital scanner beamed faint signature of ore in the highlands. Pol Rover I was promptly detached and landed on the surface to find the ore.

d8MZU1.png

d8MpgP.png

Mission control found Pol to be very hilly. After driving about 100km with difficulty, we found a flattish place with 2.4% ore content.

Jool Survey I still had fuel left. Leaving Pol Relay I behind, at Pol orbit, it flew by Vall, then arrived at Laythe to get a  glimpse of the planet.

d8J1SS.png

d8JnoC.png

From orbit Laythe looked friendly and we found some ore at the poles.

We need more lifting capacity than the S-3D lifter. So our engineers began building a heavy reusable SSTO, capable of lifting 30-35 t into LKO, based on the powerful Twin Boar. The project soon run into difficulty. The main criticism with the Twin Boar engine was its poor ISP, resulting in high fuel cost, not to mention the 65000 Kerbuck entry cost adopting the engine. The real deal breaker was its poor aerodynamic profile - the lifter could not be made to glide. An alternative was based on the Mainsail engine, which has the advantage of better ISP and lower entry cost. However the Mainsail proved to be under powered. At that point, seeing the success of the HKA-3E space plane, some engineers proposed using jet engines as auxiliary engine to save fuel cost, or even some hybrid winged rocket to maximize the advantage to the jet engine... obviously the project went nowhere. Lastly Kerbodyne offered us the cutting edge Vector engine, with excellent ISP at all altitude, and could be fitted into 1.25m profile - perfect for aerodynamics. At that point the R&D cost for engine alone had ballooned to a staggering 115000 Kerbucks!!! Some critics reckoned a SRB based single use lifter would be cheaper, given the relatively low planned  credence. However, this time the lead engineer managed to 'convince' the treasurer and move the project forward. 

dopTzW.png

The final design, the S-6B, used 2 Vector, a Panther and 6 Hammer solid RATO. Three sets of movable fins and a set of 4 tail fins enable the 20+ t empty rocket to fly through air. With the Panther jet to assist landing, 4 parachutes was sufficient.

dopR9N.png

dopwac.png

One was the first payloads of the S-6B was the 30t Kerbin DTS relay satellite, sent into Keostationary orbit above Nye Island.

dopH82.png

dopAcX.png

dop25a.png

dopo6G.png

dopkIE.png

To complement the relay, the S-2F sent two Kerb-link relays into Keostationary orbit to form a constellation.

dop6RP.png

• 2 weeks later...

Years of research shows that Kerbals' health don't degrade after spending years in space. To become the true space faring race all it takes is a spaceship capable of moving Kerbals around in relative comfort while constantly producing snacks for them. We have built the first of such great vessel, which we simply called Mothership I for lack of a better name. It was lifted into orbit by the huge S-6B rocket.

dBpDrx.png

The S-6B was recovered.

A few days later the first crew, Val and Bill, arrived taking the HKA-3E spaceplane.

dBphZ1.png

They would stay there for about half a year.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.