Cloud cities

With planets like Venus, landing IRL would be impossible because of the pressure and temperature. What would be feasible is to build a base at about 50km where the pressure  and temperature would allow a human to go outside with little more than a breathing mask.

This could be simulated in KSP2  (sorry if it already has been) but would require the base to be an airship, supported by a lifting gas ( which for Venus would include breathable air). Interplanetary craft would have to de-orbit and then fly to the base.  Fuel for the return trip could be made from the atmosphere by extraction of the correct gases.

7 hours ago, Stevex said:

What would be feasible is to build a base at about 50km where the pressure  and temperature would allow a human to go outside with little more than a breathing mask.

Would a breathing mask protect you from the extreme radiation that close to the Sun and that high out of the atmosphere?

4 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Would a breathing mask protect you from the extreme radiation that close to the Sun and that high out of the atmosphere?

Per NASA, pressure at that altitude would be similar to pressure at Earth's surface. Temperatures still vary from warm to too hot (30-70°C/86-158°F), but presumably at night it would be on the cooler end, and you'd also be shielded from solar wind at that time. Radiation then would be no different than during a nighttime EVA on the Moon, coming primarily from GCRs.

17 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Radiation is not meant to be such a problem on Venus compared to Mars , as the thick atmosphere provides quite a bit of protection. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cloud cities on Eve would be amazing, but would also be a whole set of new parts and mechanics.  I'd love to see it, even as an expansion.  Landing on a floating platform would be an interesting challenge to be sure, though that too would probably require some kind of new parts to assist, something that let you target a powered landing to a specific spot.  Cloud "mining" would also be fun (mostly getting organics for farms and such, but there are a remarkable number of elements available in trace amounts in Venus's atmosphere from all the acidic erosion.

On 12/12/2022 at 12:20 PM, Laikanaut said:

The American corporation who owns these forums is refusing to grant my request under the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation and erase my data. Therefore I am being forced to do this myself by editing.

.?  Well unfortunatly it’s a US company so the laws here in the states applies…

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 11:35 PM, Drakenred65 said:

hehe. capitalism.

Edited by Fletch4
i spelled capitalism incorrectly. i feel ashamed as an american.

On 12/30/2022 at 1:43 AM, Skorj said:

though that too would probably require some kind of new parts to assist, something that let you target a powered landing to a specific spot.

What's makes a landing on a atmospheric colony any more difficult than landing on a colony?

On 12/30/2022 at 5:35 AM, Drakenred65 said:

I don't think they needed explaining.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

What's makes a landing on a atmospheric colony any more difficult than landing on a colony?

I can land anywhere on Kerbin and be recovered.  Landing close is worth more on recovery, sure, but Kerbin's a big target.  I've landed on or quite near to the KSC hundreds of times, but I've never landed on the launch pad, and I rarely land within the KSC on my first landing with any rocket, because I land with parachutes.  Even with common mods, you can't see where you'll land in atmosphere ballistically.  Trying to judge where parachutes will bring you down is pretty much trial and error.

So how will even an experienced player land on a pad on a flying colony in a high-g, atmosphere setting?  KSP1 has no tools to make a parachute landing on a target, and no tools to land SpaceX-style.  Sure, with unlimited delta-V and thrust you can hover over to a pad, and that's common for low-g vacuum landings to be sure (where the cost is low), but it would be a real  challenge on Eve.

Edited by Skorj

Just now, Skorj said:

I can land anywhere on Kerbin and be recovered.  Landing close is worth more on recovery, sure, but Kerbin's a big target.  I've landed on or quite near to the KSC hundreds of times, but I've never landed on the launch pad, and I rarely land within the KSP on my first landing with any rocket, because I land with parachutes.  Even with common mods, you can't see where you'll land in atmosphere ballistically.  Trying to judge where parachutes will bring you down is pretty much trial and error.

So how will even an experienced player land on a pad on a flying colony in a high-g, atmosphere setting?  KSP1 has no tools to make a parachute landing on a target, and no tools to land SpaceX-style.  Sure, with unlimited delta-V and thrust you can hover over to a pad, and that's common for low-g vacuum landings to be sure (where the cost is low), but it would be a real  challenge on Eve.

What did you do in those early days when you couldn't even land on the Mun? You simply practiced and used that handy F5 button for what it's meant for. Why would the same not apply here?

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

What did you do in those early days when you couldn't even land on the Mun? You simply practiced and used that handy F5 button for what it's meant for. Why would the same not apply here?

95% of players never landed on the Mun.  That's what the game is trying to fix (and an attitude of "git gud" isn't helpful).  But you asked "what makes it harder?" - surely you see that a precise, powered landing on Eve is vastly harder than the Mun?  On the Mun you can see where you're going ballistically without mods, you can guess "a bit shorter" and with perhaps a bit of hovering land within sight of a Kerbal you're trying to rescue.  That's a reasonable mid-game mission.  Eve?  Mid-air?  Not at all.

A parachute landing on Eve isn't bad - not the easiest thing because of the re-entry heating, but fine for mid-game.  But you're not going to hit a small target with a parachute landing on purpose.  I've landed close enough on Eve to drive a rover over to a previous landing spot (or walk with a lot of patience), but that's not going to cut it for landing on a pad on a floating colony.

Of course, there are plenty of ways to make it practical with parts I don't expect any time soon, such as a helicopter.  Or they could give you some "aim assist" / MechJeb that could pop the chutes in just the right place, or otherwise do the landing for you.  The point is, if they want to have floating colonies, which I would love, they're going to have to add some sort of landing assistance (or other big change) if they don't want it to be some achievement that only a handful of players get. 

3 minutes ago, Skorj said:

That's what the game is trying to fix

Tutorials are 98% the solution and better instrumentation e.g. KER + Trajectories is the cherry on the proverbial cake. The game doesn't need invasive autopilots to reduce that 95% to something closer to 0%.

On 12/12/2022 at 2:19 PM, Stevex said:

With planets like Venus, landing IRL would be impossible because of the pressure and temperature. What would be feasible is to build a base at about 50km where the pressure  and temperature would allow a human to go outside with little more than a breathing mask.

This could be simulated in KSP2  (sorry if it already has been) but would require the base to be an airship, supported by a lifting gas ( which for Venus would include breathable air). Interplanetary craft would have to de-orbit and then fly to the base.  Fuel for the return trip could be made from the atmosphere by extraction of the correct gases.

Yeah, would be cool, maybe as DLC later on. Was hoping they would add balloons and airbags to the game. would be very nice on places like eve