v1.0.1 "Central Fire." Planet Jam 2: Armstrong's Limit Homeworld in The Ilio-Pyri Planetary System

Whirligig Girl

53 minutes ago, Sky Kerman said:

How do you slowdown in Armstrong's atmosphere? I use the ballute mod but I always slam into the ocean around 1000-2500 meters per second?

Ballutes are good at slowing you down from 5000 m/s to 1500 m/s or so, but you need conventional parachutes to make it the rest of the way. I have personally found some success with the large parachutes from Lithobrake Exploration Technologies: a Mk1 pod with a LET-SP-1X24 parachute hits the water at around 18 m/s, which is slow enough to survive. (Well, I survived the one time I have tried it so far, and that might just have been due to a lucky Scatterer wave.)

Ground landings are even trickier. You could try using disposable landing legs that absorb some of the energy of the impact, but I found it more convenient to jump out, grab all the science, and then use the personal parachute to safely glide the rest of the way down. It's not easy to get below 50 m/s with a personal parachute in the thin atmosphere, but it's definitely possible with careful steering as long as you're not at a particularly high elevation.

1 hour ago, Sky Kerman said:

How do you slowdown in Armstrong's atmosphere? I use the ballute mod but I always slam into the ocean around 1000-2500 meters per second?

My descent profile (at least, for larger things, haven't done a proper career) is typically: Ballute slows to 1-1.5 km/s, engine burn to slow to ~900 m/s (costs less than that difference due to the aid from the ballutes), deploy drogue chutes, then engine burn again for final 50 -100m/s or so. Costs approximately 6-700 m/s for landing my high-TWR SSTO/1.5STO (has multiple launch configurations) rocket. Successfully landing on the high elevation areas, with the snow and all that, is a lot harder though; I usually have to start braking earlier, and with 800 m/s budgeted it often costs all of that just to get to a safe parachute deployment speed, meaning it sacrifices a bit of the crumple zone without fuel for a final landing burn. Would probably work reliably with a km/s of remaining dV, but I typically just try to avoid such landings

1 hour ago, bigyihsuan said:

Based on what people are saying, so landing back on Armstrong is more like landing on Duna? Where chutes alone aren't enough, and you need something else (bouncy ball, rockets, etc) to land safely?

Exactly. Armstrong's atmosphere is about as thick as Duna's, but the gravity is considerably higher. I've had success with a mix of ballutes, parachutes, and landing thrusters- I suggest taking inspiration from designs intended for landing on Mars.

12 hours ago, Tangle said:

Exactly. Armstrong's atmosphere is about as thick as Duna's, but the gravity is considerably higher. I've had success with a mix of ballutes, parachutes, and landing thrusters- I suggest taking inspiration from designs intended for landing on Mars.

Armstrong was originally built as "Mesbin but instead of the landing difficulty being no atmosphere at all, it was not enough atmosphere," inspired by the seven minutes of hell Entry Descent and Landings of Martian spacecrafts.

Remember of course that Mars has 1/10th the atmospheric pressure of Duna. Armstrong's atmosphere is a bit thicker than it needs to be to be properly analogous to a super-Mars, but it's still really thin.

I'm also stuck on an endless loading screen for 5 mins now.

I have nothing but the requirements installed. (Scatterer, EVE, Kopernicus, Kopernicus Expanstions Continued-er, Filtered Heightmap)

I'm playing on linux.

This is my GameData folder. Is everything installed correctly?

I'm out of ideas on how to fix the infinite loading screen issue.

Specs:

i7-8750H

GTX 1060

GameData.png

1 hour ago, Frenzii said:

I have nothing but the requirements installed. (Scatterer, EVE, Kopernicus, Kopernicus Expanstions Continued-er, Filtered Heightmap)

I'm playing on linux.

Specs:

i7-8750H

GTX 1060

GameData.png

I have a theory about the source of this bug, it may be related to the Linux OS (which correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be running).

Can you go to this filepath: "Gamedata/PJ2/KopernicusFiles/3_OuterSystem" and delete the IlioABC_d folder? We believe the issue may be there, but we're having trouble confirming it at this time. If it works it should act as a temporary hotfix until a permanent solution is found.

16 hours ago, Exo's Lab said:

I have a theory about the source of this bug, it may be related to the Linux OS (which correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be running).

Can you go to this filepath: "Gamedata/PJ2/KopernicusFiles/3_OuterSystem" and delete the IlioABC_d folder? We believe the issue may be there, but we're having trouble confirming it at this time. If it works it should act as a temporary hotfix until a permanent solution is found.

I also have the same issue on linux and tried your suggestion. Deleting the folder doesn't solve the issue.

fyi if you don't want to install ballutes you can make detachable tail to stabilize yourself +inflatable heat shield to slow down.

------------------------------------

On 12/28/2022 at 11:07 PM, Frenzii said:

I'm playing on linux.

[snip]

Uploading KSP.log and the logs folder itself might help troubleshooting if someone know how to read log come across this post

Edited by ssd21345

3 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

fyi if you don't want to install ballutes you can make detachable tail to stabilize yourself +inflatable heat shield to slow down.

------------------------------------

Uploading KSP.log and the logs folder itself might help troubleshooting if someone know how to read log come across this post

Uploaded the logs.

https://anonfiles.com/c2aco9P2y2/KSPLogs_zip

On 12/25/2022 at 7:58 PM, Sky Kerman said:

i use a Launch escape tower and add srbs onto it for a powered slowdown, then slowdown from 1500m/s~ with drogues and normal parachutes, but this only works over the lakes or else you'll just crash.

I've been having trouble landing on Armstrong, what are your designs for sky cranes, bouncy balls, etc for landing manned capsules onto the surface?

(of note I've found the Landertrons mod that adds in some SRBs that can automatically activate when you're close to the ground, maybe it can be of use? Maybe combine with Smart Parts so that you can have a sky crane that decouples from the capsule when vertical velocity is 0 near the ground?)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.