Covid, after all I did to avoid you. You win this round.

Andrew the Astronaut

Sooo... yeah. I got covid. IT SUCKS. My isolation rooms, hot, the food isn't even good, and there's no medicine for me to take. According to the doctor anyway. So yeah. I just spent the last 4 days in a room. only went outside to use the bathroom. I feel, mixed. Like I feel mad, but also guilt. Stay safe everyone. Andrew the Astronaut, signing off.

4 hours ago, Andrew the Astronaut said:

Like I feel mad, but also guilt

Don't.  It's a virus, not a sign of moral failure.  

Here's my second bout:

*Back in Feb '21 I wrote here about my experiences with Covid.  Back then, 1st wave, regular old Covid... I did not have it that bad.  Maybe a day of feeling like the flu and then just kicking it waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I watched Ted Lasso.  I watched all 15 hours of Shogun.  I read.  I slept.  I isolated.  Eventually it just went away.  The worst was the after-effects; specifically, losing smell and taste.  I found it interesting, more than anything, at first.  Losing taste left me only with one sensation when eating: mouth feel.  I could distinguish hot or cold and shapes.  But everything just tasted like nothing.  Only sensation I got from smell was this weird 'rotting cucumber' scent - for everything.  At the time I was just days out from getting my first shot.  Got the second Pfizer after the Covid went away.  Then we got the Moderna booster, as I had read about improved immune response by mixing shots.

The lasting effects were no-to-diminished taste for several weeks, regular unique Covid-headaches for months and a loss of smell (and concurrent phantom-smells) for about a year.

Whelp... I got it again on Thanksgiving; whatever variant is current.  I figured I would be largely immune, having not only had Covid, but also the shots (no variant boosters).

Wrong.

This time around, the experience is much more flu-like.  Head and chest congestion.  Aching and tired.  No fever as far as I can tell, but definitely feeling run down.  Headaches.  Notably different from the Covid headaches last time - these just feel like run-of-the-mill cold-headaches.  Smell is diminished but I can still taste.

Big thing is, I'm glad I live in a place where I can just take care of myself as I would with any flu-like symptoms.  Very glad the lockdowns are far away.  Major sympathy for those folks.  

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/210795-covid-redux/&do=findComment&comment=4202682

4 hours ago, Andrew the Astronaut said:

My isolation rooms

Are you referring to a place that is not just 'your own room'? 

B/c when I had covid we just stayed home and pretty much treated it like a flu.  

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

I probably had it a second time, virtually everyone else has. I had some sort of cold. My life changed not at all. I treated it like any other cold I have ever had. Course I did the same in 2021, cause, it's, you know, a cold.

Obviously anyone who is 90 should be somewhat afraid of colds. Anyone else? Meh.

53 minutes ago, tater said:

cause, it's, you know, a cold.

Well that’s kinda nonsense. 

Lucky you for not having a severe case.  

57 minutes ago, tater said:

Obviously anyone who is 90 should be somewhat afraid of colds. Anyone else? Meh

My cousin, who is in her twenties and otherwise excellent health, was bedridden for a week with COVID.
It can, in fact, impact younger people severely.

28 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Well that’s kinda nonsense. 

Lucky you for not having a severe case.  

LOL, I'm in my mid-50s. It was a mild cold (plus anosmia for a few days, which was the only part that was more than a mild cold), and that was a substantially more dangerous version (probably delta, maybe alpha).

Least in return I got all the antibodies.

28 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

My cousin, who is in her twenties and otherwise excellent health, was bedridden for a week with COVID.
It can, in fact, impact younger people severely.

Turns out that fighting this years variant with the wrong antibodies might make people sicker.

I've never been bedridden with anything, much less for a week. Felt crappy a few days a few times.

16 hours ago, tater said:

I probably had it a second time, virtually everyone else has. I had some sort of cold. My life changed not at all. I treated it like any other cold I have ever had. Course I did the same in 2021, cause, it's, you know, a cold.

Obviously anyone who is 90 should be somewhat afraid of colds. Anyone else? Meh.

That’s a whole lot of assumptions in that statement…. 

56 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

That’s a whole lot of assumptions in that statement…. 

I'm metabolically healthy, and not elderly. This was never concerning to me at all. I decided in 2020 to be 3-4X as concerned as I ever am about seasonal flu, and my seasonal flu concern is ZERO, so do the math (and the current crud is about half as concerning as seasonal flu, so people should be half as concerned as they were in 2018—I say 2018 since this bug was in global community spread in mid 2019 (Italian blood samples demonstrate this). Anyone who had a cold in 2019... a decent chance it was this new cold.

Feel better, man. Only about half of the people I know have had it, my wife and I and parents and I have been lucky. Ive heard it run the gambit, even recently. 

And yeah yall get your shots, flu too. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

I didn't got this during my three almost four years of study in the UK by never eating indoors when I go out and wearing face mask: thank you 3M. And, as we know, China deregulation of the epidemic this month. I bought my parents a bunch of sterilised stuff based on my experience in the UK, but they may have been negligent somewhere along the line and still unfortunately contracted an infection. But "luckily" I have rented a house outside and live on my own. My father just like got a fever, and my mum's sound becomes a duck for a day.

My other elders have all been infected in the last week, including my grandmother, who is a "priority protect" by our family. But there was still no one can escape from the infection. But the good news is that she is in good health, and she is fine now.

All of us in the office got COVID except me and another female colleague. But the good news is that several of our colleagues have recovered and returned to work in this week.

For those ignorantly saying "covid is a cold", there's no such thing as a long cold. Many ("many" not all or most) covid patients have symptoms that continue for months.

Covid is more like the flu than a cold. It's not that bad individually: most people recover, those who start with poorer health are more likely to have life-changing or fatal outcomes. As a society, though, when flu or covid spread it overwhelms the healthcare system and creates larger problems.

My personal covid experience was only 2 moderately bad days but I'm still easily tired 3 weeks later. I think the variant running through my circle of acquaintances includes extra fatigue yet fewer respiratory symptoms. I'm gradually improving and don't consider this "long covid".

2 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

For those ignorantly saying "covid is a cold", there's no such thing as a long cold. Many ("many" not all or most) covid patients have symptoms that continue for months.

All viral illness has long symptoms in a small % of infections COVID is no different.  "Long colds" have been a thing forever. The baseline in society for the same symptoms called "long COVID" without ever having had COVID is apparently ~5%. The leading risk factor for "long COVID" in a few good papers? A previous diagnosis of an anxiety disorder. Several papers have shown the incidence to be ~1% above the baseline, so it's a thing, but minor.

Also, any current study needs to have the control of vaccinated vs unvaccinated, because there is now a nonzero probability that they are experiencing more persistent disease due to making the wrong antibodies—not symptoms after COVID, but longer COVID with low clinical symptoms. 2 new papers show that the bulk made in many people as a result of the 2 vaccines are IgG4. That is an antibody that you see to ignore a foreign protein. Ie: beekeepers end up with this to not over react to bee stings. People with allergies can get this to ignore the allergen to prevent hypersensitivity reactions. Ignoring a virus is a Bad Idea™, however.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciimmunol.ade2798

Failure to neutralize the virus results in mild symptoms—the symptoms are your body fighting—but more persistent disease. People making the wrong Abs take longer to clear the virus (other papers have shown this as well).

Covid is more like the flu than a cold. It's not that bad individually: most people recover, those who start with poorer health are more likely to have life-changing or fatal outcomes. As a society, though, when flu or covid spread it overwhelms the healthcare system and creates larger problems.

It was always a cold for ~90-95% of people. Of the 5-10%, about 80% have mild flu-like symptoms, and of the remaining 20%, about a fifth were hospitalized for alpha/delta. The numbers are now lower than that. Remember that infections in the US are approaching 2 per person. Virtually everyone has had this.

My personal covid experience was only 2 moderately bad days but I'm still easily tired 3 weeks later. I think the variant running through my circle of acquaintances includes extra fatigue yet fewer respiratory symptoms. I'm gradually improving and don't consider this "long covid".

Minus testing and other nonsense, people would be paying far less attention. A subset of people are deeply concerned, and have worked themselves up into a frenzy of fear. Endemic disease is endemic, and people will continue to get this, particularly people with a single, fixed immune response.

Cheated covid up to now but got it as a unwelcome Christmas gift, went to my mother the 23'd, Christmas at my sisters house, slept over at my mother to the 25't. Went home and became ill, called morning the 26 that I could not come to an family dinner.  
After that all in the family got covid, 
Far better now so short lasting at least. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 3:58 PM, magnemoe said:

Cheated covid up to now but got it as a unwelcome Christmas gift, went to my mother the 23'd, Christmas at my sisters house, slept over at my mother to the 25't. Went home and became ill, called morning the 26 that I could not come to an family dinner.  
After that all in the family got covid, 
Far better now so short lasting at least. 

Same. I got it on the 23rd

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 5:14 PM, DeadJohn said:

I'd look up Prof Doloris Cahill,  Prof Sucharit Bahkdi, Dr Reiner Fuellmich, to name a few, the very people who could have helped.:)

These people make for very interesting listening. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely understand you. My relatives were skeptical about COVID and got sick much worse than me. For my first time, all that bothered me was the lack of taste and smell. My second time happened in the new year, and I mistakenly believed everything would go just as easily. As a result, 40% lung damage, and now I can hardly climb the stairs to the second floor. I hope to be back by summer.

On 1/30/2023 at 3:06 PM, VickTC said:

I definitely understand you. My relatives were skeptical about COVID and got sick much worse than me. For my first time, all that bothered me was the lack of taste and smell. My second time happened in the new year, and I mistakenly believed everything would go just as easily. As a result, 40% lung damage, and now I can hardly climb the stairs to the second floor. I hope to be back by summer.

I did not loose any taste, I can hardly smell at all anyway and it hit me as an hard influenza. 

On 2/2/2023 at 1:10 AM, magnemoe said:

I did not loose any taste, I can hardly smell at all anyway and it hit me as an hard influenza. 

I have a strange taste situation. The last thing I ate before I got sick was potatoes with caramelized onions, so even now, while eating, I still taste onions in some cases. However, this is not the only symptom that I have been experiencing since getting COVID-19. It has been a challenging experience, and I have learned a lot about the disease and its effects on people. One of the best resources I have found is https://studymoose.com/free-essays/nursing which has essay examples for college on nursing and medicine from experienced individuals in the field. I was particularly interested in their discussion of healthcare professionals' challenges when caring for COVID-19 patients, including adapting to changing guidelines and protocols. I'll watch my taste change and hope this whole onion taste disappears soon. 

Edited by VickTC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.