Duna Winged Aircraft Range Challenge

OJT

Ike.  Why does it have to be Ike?

my first attempt ran into Ike, The orbit I had -landed to put the commsats in intersected with Ike.

Second attempt, was somewhat successful, but it was rushed due to my trying to get it done by Midnight.  Also forgot the pics :D

will try again soo, and will set up automatic screenshots using a mod Automated Screenshots this time.

‘I’d also recommend using Better Time Warp, if you are starting a new save for this, first decent transfer to Dina is at approximately Year 3, Day 300

Just finished my entry.

Basic stats

Complete Vessel, including plane, 3 comsat relays and a a booster with a big relay antenna

• Parts:    111
  • Mass:   418.639t
  • Height:   49.4m
  • Width:  8.9m
  • Length: 4.4m

Glider

• Parts:   24
  • Mass:  4.33t
  • Height:  2.6m
  • Width: 2.5m
  • Length: 8.5m

Glide Range obtained: About 2000 km (image shows 1808, I forgot to start the Persistent Trails for a minute)

Getting to Duna, put the three small comsats into an orbit 5000km high, equally spaced out.

The big relay antenna then went into a polar orbit.

I tried to land, but ran into an unexpected rise in the ground and crashed.

Here is a link to the Imgur album:

https://imgur.com/a/1VkNGdd

Edited by linuxgurugamer

20 hours ago, kerbalboi said:

no problem, i took a bunch of pics for just that, just haven't got to uploading it to imgur yet

Pics of your mission in general, yes. But I can't tell from pictures alone how far your Plane actually glided. You needed to either record the flight with Persistent Trails or place KerbNet markers on entry and then calculate the distance travelled like 18Watt has done in his submissions. There is also no pictures from VAB/SPH telling the mass of the Plane and the entire Launch Stack. Until you provide the required information, I sadly can't put your submission on the Scoreboard

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just finished my entry.

Basic stats

Complete Vessel, including plane, 3 comsat relays and a a booster with a big relay antenna

• Parts:    111
  • Mass:   418.639t
  • Height:   49.4m
  • Width:  8.9m
  • Length: 4.4m

Glider

• Parts:   24
  • Mass:  4.33t
  • Height:  2.6m
  • Width: 2.5m
  • Length: 8.5m

Glide Range obtained: About 2000 km (image shows 1808, I forgot to start the Persistent Trails for a minute)

Getting to Duna, put the three small comsats into an orbit 5000km high, equally spaced out.

The big relay antenna then went into a polar orbit.

I tried to land, but ran into an unexpected rise in the ground and crashed.

Here is a link to the Imgur album:

https://imgur.com/a/1VkNGdd

A hecking C H O N K E R of a Launch Stack, which to be fair is expected since you also deployed the satellites in the same mission, so you would need extra space/thrust. Interesting solution of stacking two fairings on top of each other and using the widened one for relay dish and non-widened one for the Plane

Speaking of the Plane: really nice design! And I assume it unfolds automatically with a single press of a button, since I see a KAL controller on it. Surprising that the aero forces didn't tear the antenna apart. Which seems to be way too overpowered for the mission, but hey, looks cool :lol:

Will add your submission to the Scoreboard. And I will take the Persistent Trails number for the distance: we don't deal with "if"s, "but"s and "maybe"s. We deal in absolutes :ph34r:

56 minutes ago, OJT said:

Pics of your mission in general, yes. But I can't tell from pictures alone how far your Plane actually glided. You needed to either record the flight with Persistent Trails or place KerbNet markers on entry and then calculate the distance travelled like 18Watt has done in his submissions. There is also no pictures from VAB/SPH telling the mass of the Plane and the entire Launch Stack. Until you provide the required information, I sadly can't put your submission on the Scoreboard

Imjur album has all the pics you need, including the last one which shows Persistent Trails, showing 1808 km flown.

I'll embed a few in the post

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Imjur album has all the pics you need, including the last one which shows Persistent Trails, showing 1808 km flown.

I'll embed a few in the post

That was directed to other user. Your album has everything needed

2 hours ago, OJT said:

A hecking C H O N K E R of a Launch Stack, which to be fair is expected since you also deployed the satellites in the same mission, so you would need extra space/thrust. Interesting solution of stacking two fairings on top of each other and using the widened one for relay dish and non-widened one for the Plane

Speaking of the Plane: really nice design! And I assume it unfolds automatically with a single press of a button, since I see a KAL controller on it. Surprising that the aero forces didn't tear the antenna apart. Which seems to be way too overpowered for the mission, but hey, looks cool :lol:

Will add your submission to the Scoreboard. And I will take the Persistent Trails number for the distance: we don't deal with "if"s, "but"s and "maybe"s. We deal in absolutes :ph34r:

here's the screenshots for attempt 2, it seems the glider just needs more speed on horizontal landing and i should be able to land it https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1w_Au-P9paNBXNuzXQKPrjlzGoMB8u9Ws?usp=sharing quites proud of this attempt

3 hours ago, OJT said:

That was directed to other user. Your album has everything needed

I'm going to modify Persistant Trails to have an option to automatically start when entering the atmosphere. Will then restart the mission from outside the atmosphere (from save file) and see how far I can go.

I'll also make the modified mod available to anybody who needs it for this challenge

Ok, I have an UNOFFICIAL version of Persistant Trails here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16eBzewGE0np27hlgC6i79L4mukWAxN8W/view?usp=sharing

If you are going to use this, then first delete the current copy from your GameData

This zip file includes the three new dependencies: 

• ClickThroughBlocker
  • ToolbarController
  • SpacetuxLibrary

A complete list of all my changes are here, source code is up on Github

Spoiler

Changelog

• Moved DLL into Plugins folder
  • Updated for KSP 1.12
  • Moved source code into 'src' directory
  • Added License.txt
  • Updated for latest Unity
  • Fixed case for buttons
  • Fixed resize button from being overlaid by buttons
  • Disabled the "Add Log Entry" button if no og is being recorded
  • Prevented log message from wrapping in window or pushing the description into wrapping
  • Removed resize button from log entry window
  • Added new option:  "Create Track in Atmosphere", will start a track, but not start recording until vessel is in the atmosphere
  • Added InstallChecker
  • Added AssemblyVersion.tt
  • Fixed check for KerbalGPS module (was looking for a part instead of part module) & optimized check
  • Replaced all toolbar logic with the ToolbarController
  • Added support for ClickThroughBlocker
  • Replaced all calls to Debug.Log with KSP_Log calls
  • Removed stock settings page since the only option on it is deprecated and not used anymore
  • Replaced code to load images with ToolbarControl.LoadImageFromFile()
  • Disabled some unused methods
  • Moved GUIstyle initialization into RegisterToolbar, eliminates some function calls
  • Moved a number of classes into individual files
  • Fixed Spacedock URL in version file
  • LGG specific changes for builds
  • Added buildrelease.bat, deploybat, jenkins.txt
  • Added 2 #pragma statements to disable specific warnings
  • New dependencies
    • ClickThroughBlocker
    • ToolbarController
    • SpacetuxLibrary

If you have any issues with this, please contact me, NOT JPLRepo

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...

A secondary mission.  This was a re-continuation of the first entry, the only thing that changed was that I was using an updated version of Persistent Trails which automatically starts tracking when you enter the atmosphere.

Mission distance:  2792, this was during the landing attempt, this was the last picture (I have automatic screenshots taken) before it crashed.  The last part went about another km, but since it crashed, I'm calling it at the last good image.

Imgur here: https://imgur.com/a/ypitw0D

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

A secondary mission.  This was a re-continuation of the first entry, the only thing that changed was that I was using an updated version of Persistent Trails which automatically starts tracking when you enter the atmosphere.

Mission distance:  2792, this was during the landing attempt, this was the last picture (I have automatic screenshots taken) before it crashed.  The last part went about another km, but since it crashed, I'm calling it at the last good image.

Imgur here: https://imgur.com/a/ypitw0D

I assume all the masses are the same? If so, I will take the Launch Stack and Plane mass from your first entry

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It was literally the same mission, I just used a save file from orbit around Duna

Added your submission to Scoreboard. I also added a link to your Persistent Trails mod edit in OP, in case someone else will want to use it :)

On 1/2/2023 at 3:45 PM, kerbalboi said:

here's the screenshots for attempt 2, it seems the glider just needs more speed on horizontal landing and i should be able to land it https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1w_Au-P9paNBXNuzXQKPrjlzGoMB8u9Ws?usp=sharing quites proud of this attempt

I missed your submission by accident. Sorry, the exam phase barely leaves any time to do other stuff :wacko:

Looks good, will add it to Scoreboard

8 minutes ago, OJT said:

I missed your submission by accident. Sorry, the exam phase barely leaves any time to do other stuff :wacko:

Looks good, will add it to Scoreboard

no prob, was busy aswell, gonna try and make a better design, looks like engine planes should help a bunch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.