[1.12.x] [WIP] Stock Scale Sea Dragon - Adds the Sea Dragon SHLV, in Fully Accurate, Stock Scale!

AaronDoesSpace

screenshot29.png

screenshot204.png

screenshot25.png

screenshot27.png

If you like the mods I make feel free to support me on Patreon or Ko-fi

Any donations help fund new tools for better mods!

DOWNLOADS

Github | SpaceDock

License: MIT

Credits: 

Thanks to @CobaltWolf and @Zorg for constantly helping me while making this mod, couldn't have done it without you!

Dependencies (Not Included! Make sure to download):

Bluedog Design Bureau - This mod makes use of a lot of custom configs from BDB as well as using the J-2 for its TVC Engines (Honestly if you don't have this are you even playing KSP?)

Simple Adjustable Fairings - Allows for the very huge, solid and 8 Segmented fairing that sits on top of this rocket. 

Waterfall - These huge and beautiful engine plumes are thanks to this mod, make sure to grab it!

FAQ

What is this mod? Why did you make it?

I wanted my fellow Sea Dragon fans to have a mod to play with that didn't require the usage of a RSS scaled solar system, was up to date in terms of artstyle, and also was more accurate to the original design study documents published in the 60s. Mods that original added Sea Dragon, most notably, RSSeaDragon, have quite an out dated art style and haven't been maintained for quite a while. I am also the first one to implement the correct expanding nozzle design!

Why is this so powerful?! I managed to get to the outer solar system easily!
Stock Scale Sea Dragon is designed for usage on a 2.5x / 2.7x Scale Solar System Only. You can choose to use a rescaled stock system, or KSRSS Reborn, or anything of that scale if you choose, as those are what this mod is designed for.

How much payload is this rocket able to lift?

This mods rocket is designed to lift about 220 in-game tons into an orbit of about 120km in KSRSS or similar scale systems.

Edited by AaronDoesSpace
fixed some capitalisation

7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

The stockness really shines through :D

Stock Scale refers to the fact that the parts are balanced and scaled against the stock parts, which it turns out, are actually balanced for a solar system that is 2.7x larger, or a quarter of real life

Congrats for release, i feel this mod will be useful for players that want to send large stuff in orbits without too many parts in ascent stage :) (graphic cards are expensive)

Small question considering that we speak of the Sea Dragon (and as it is not mentioned in the description): should it be launched necessarily from water (and if yes how?) or can it be launched from the launchpad (without blasting it) ?

for some reason my first stage is not staying connected when I try to launch the vehicle, and its second stage keeps falling over from the first stage when I try to launch it

Edited by ltajax

17 hours ago, ltajax said:

for some reason my first stage is not staying connected when I try to launch the vehicle, and its second stage keeps falling over from the first stage when I try to launch it

this vehicle is tremendously heavy, on the order of 10,000 metric tons in KSP. It sounds like you aren't using autostrut and rigid attachments

3 hours ago, AaronDoesSpace said:

this vehicle is tremendously heavy, on the order of 10,000 metric tons in KSP. It sounds like you aren't using autostrut and rigid attachments

Ahh, that was not included in the info on the release section, I did not know I needed addition mods to make this function as intended

Quick question, how am I supposed to fuel the second stage? Its engines want a oxy/hydro mixture but the main engine needs to burn allot of kerosene, so much that the first stage tanks run out very shortly after lifting off from the pad, making it essential to fuel the second stage with kerosene too. 

Edited by ltajax

On 1/29/2023 at 3:30 PM, ltajax said:

Quick question, how am I supposed to fuel the second stage? Its engines want a oxy/hydro mixture but the main engine needs to burn allot of kerosene, so much that the first stage tanks run out very shortly after lifting off from the pad, making it essential to fuel the second stage with kerosene too. 

wha