Modern, integrated mod management

I'm not sure what precisely the devs have in mind for in-game mod management, beyond Nate saying that mods are a valued part of KSP.   I'd like to see modern, integrated mod management, basically what CKAN does with a bit more integration:

• A mod search/install screen, where every mod registered by a modder can be found, with a modder-provided summary page for each (just a summary, the mod website can be linked from it).  Show the list of dependent mods and install the whole "tree" from there.
  • A mod update screen, where you can see what mods are compatible with the current game version and pull down mod updates.
  • A mod management screen where you can select mods to activate/deactivate without uninstalling them (just a game restart).
  • Saved games keeping track of what mods they need, so you can practically have different ongoing games with different mixes of mods in a single install.  The UI can tell you what mods are associated with a particular save slot, so you can remember what you need to toggle.
  • Saved ships with modded parts keeping track of what mods those parts came from, so that the file we share (to share a ship) includes a mod manifest.  That way the game tells you what mods you need to use someone else's ship (or your own that you saved off from some long-deleted game, as I do all the time).

I would add: having a planet pack database which is vetted and ranked by players and devs, so you can add new star systems directly into the game. This would get us closer to the idea of "being able to travel to most stars you see in the sky".