It would be so cool if there were rouge planets that where all different and orbited themselves so they would stay in place

NAME IDEAS: (sorry if there all bad I am not the best at names)

Twier Maybe pink and blue (maybe ice)

Noover Maybe green

Lipe (Idk what color it would be)

IDK what else so yeah

Conceptually they're a cool idea but what's the point of implementing one let alone several of them if they're so small and isolated. KSP2 seems to have prioritized making locations interesting and worth visiting and a player would probably rather go to a new star system than a single planet. Also there isn't any light so what would you even be seeing? I could imagine there being a planet 9 analogue in orbit of one of the stars but beyond that rogue objects would be fairly pointless at least in my opinion.

EDIT; I misspelled "Rogue" didn't I? :/ 

The Search for Planet Nine | UCLA Library

Edited by Minmus Taster

Rogue exoplanets are interesting. We may have found one 30,000 to 180,000 ly out that is roughly earth sized, maybee. And it’s possible they hold life. 

In fact it’s weirdly possible that they are more likely to hold life, esp whe younger, because of internal heat and the possibility of thick atmosphere providing additional shielding.

20 minutes ago, regex said:

We already have Duna, which mimics our own iconic "red planet", not sure why red is so special here...

There is a difference between Rust and Rogue though. One is found on old worn cars, the other on Ladies. Well and others.

21 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

what's the point of implementing one let alone several of them if they're so small and isolated

The appeal of rogue planets for me would be the feeling of "awe and isolation", similar to empty interstellar space.

There could also be some unique educational opportunities, such as:

1. How to intercept a sub-stellar object at interstellar distances
  2. What energy sources are available to drive things like cryovolcanism or cloud formations far away from a star

22 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Also there isn't any light so what would you even be seeing?

I feel like this would be a good reason against implementing multiple rogue planets, but I think for like one planet this would be a fun gimmick. Having to rely on IVA, using all your tools in your module to make sure you dont crash into the floor seems like a neat and unique recontextualization of already existing things. 

The way Id implement it is make it a rogue brown dwarf with a moon/planet thats rich in your life supporting materials. Give the moon some tidal heating that way theres some energy to harvest. Due to the brown dwarf containing your hydrogens/helium3, and the planet being good for snack generation, this would make this system a nice logistical midpoint for all sorts of trade. 

One that has life though is going to have volcanoes, it may also have one or more moons (earth having a moon and having a second core delaying cooling is also a factor) that seem to be part of the reason why Earths crust did not solidify the way Venus crust did. Granted there’s the possibility that Venus may have originally been a sub Neptunan gas or water planet that was moved from a higher orbit, or just had the water/ gas cooked off.

22 hours ago, Drakenred65 said:

One that has life though is going to have volcanoes, 

Life supporting materials, not life. CHNOPS, Carbon dioxide and water are the big two, phosphorous is noteworthy for its limitedness in quantity (its the bottle neck of life). I doubt ksp2 will require you to focus on organic element conservation, however I think its fair to say that co2 and water will have great value.

On 1/4/2023 at 12:13 AM, Strawberry said:

Having to rely on IVA, using all your tools in your module to make sure you dont crash into the floor seems like a neat and unique recontextualization of already existing things. 

This makes the geography of the planet uninteresting, as you would barely see any of it. Possibly have a sub-brown dwarf that emits a small amount of light for its moons.

Edited by Chibbob

On 1/10/2023 at 3:02 PM, Chibbob said:

This makes the geography of the planet uninteresting, as you would barely see any of it. Possibly have a sub-brown dwarf that emits a small amount of light for its moons.

Well it makes just the shape of the planet matter and not much else, can still have plenty of hills that make it harder to land and stuff like that. I think having one planet to where the looks dont matter doesnt really matter as its only a single planet.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:19 PM, Strawberry said:

Well it makes just the shape of the planet matter and not much else, can still have plenty of hills that make it harder to land and stuff like that. I think having one planet to where the looks dont matter doesnt really matter as its only a single planet.

But this means there is a strong limitation of what you can explore, landing on a planet with no light may be a challenge, but it wont be fun to explore as you will just be wandering around in the dark with a small headlight at most. There are also the logistics of this planet, how will a planet that reflects no light (as it is a rogue) be tracked? I mean, realism isn't everything but in this case it does matter quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Chibbob said:

But this means there is a strong limitation of what you can explore, landing on a planet with no light may be a challenge, but it wont be fun to explore as you will just be wandering around in the dark with a small headlight at most. There are also the logistics of this planet, how will a planet that reflects no light (as it is a rogue) be tracked? I mean, realism isn't everything but in this case it does matter quite a bit.

Rogue planets do emit infrared light even though it is dim, so that aspect can be handwaved. I dont think this area needs many biomes, not all planets need to have great exploration, the main challenge long term would be setting up colonies in different areas to optimize ore mining.

13 hours ago, Chibbob said:

It wouldn't be fun, to you :)

13 hours ago, Strawberry said:

Rogue planets do emit infrared light even though it is dim, so that aspect can be handwaved. I dont think this area needs many biomes, not all planets need to have great exploration, the main challenge long term would be setting up colonies in different areas to optimize ore mining.

I mean, the only factor keeping it interesting would be that it is a rogue planet, everything else about it will be boring. I don't see why people will go to such a planet, even for strategic reasons. I feel like the main complaint for ksp1 was that you would land on a planet, walk a few metres with EVA, plant a flag and leave - there was no motive to go anywhere.

Edited by Chibbob
Small adjustment.

3 hours ago, Chibbob said:

I mean, the only factor keeping it interesting would be that it is a rogue planet, everything else about it will be boring. I don't see why people will go to such a planet, even for strategic reasons. I feel like the main complaint for ksp1 was that you would land on a planet, walk a few metres with EVA, plant a flag and leave - there was no motive to go anywhere.

Well that is inherently the problem with space exploration. For that reason in other post I said underwater exploration in ocean worlds would add a lot of depth, but even  there  comes the guy that say" It is not fun", seems some peopel rejoice in  excel as the ultimate  emotion rollercoaster.

5 minutes ago, tstein said:

Well that is inherently the problem with space exploration. For that reason in other post I said underwater exploration in ocean worlds would add a lot of depth, but even  there  comes the guy that say" It is not fun", seems some peopel rejoice in  excel as the ultimate  emotion rollercoaster.

The concept of underwater exploration would have a higher chance of you finding interesting landforms, a rogue planet would likely just have some cryovolcanoes at best. A rogue planet where you have to break through the elements to enter the water layer could be a possible idea - but game limitations could ruin any chance of that being a feature as the planets likely rely on bump maps. Also I'm not sure how far you would have to dig downwards to reach the liquid layer.

Ok, So rogue planets seem nice, but I feel like making them some weird color or similar detracts from the interesting science you could do, a planet unshielded from cosmic rays, with an atmosphere frozen onto the surface and a new one collected over billions of years.

That seems a bit selective because, if they put in rouge planets, then the people that wanted mascara, eyeshadow, or lipstick planets are going to feel left out :cool:.

Edited by GigFiz
wording

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 5:17 PM, Minmus Taster said:

Also there isn't any light so what would you even be seeing?

This idea could actually have some potential, having a dark, shadowy rogue planet to explore with just the lights from your spacecraft would make for an interesting scenario and creepy vibe

On 1/2/2023 at 7:52 PM, adriantheflash said:

It would be so cool if

Nope. :)

If that's your reason, you haven't given any real thought to how worthwhile or wasteful it is for the devs to implement this. And it's far into the wasteful side because:

1. The planet will largely never be seen for its colors because there is no ambient light because it's rogue. Waste of effort to make the textures.
  2. Players will find themselves complaining or struggling on landings because they can't see how close or far the ground is. There will be spam of lights and tweaking of visuals in desperate attempts to cheat the darkness.
  3. Once you know where the Kerbin-like worlds are, you don't have a dog's hair to give about the rogues anymore. And it'll probably be quite a detour to visit them on your way to anywhere else. Who's gonna pack the dV for that? Let's be honest here.

Exception to #2 would be what @SenatorSteam said above. If you like landing challenge and spooky vibe. Then again, a night side landing on any non-rogue world, especially an outer gas planet's large moon can give the exact same gameplay value so I withdraw my exception. :D

On 1/28/2023 at 4:36 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

Nope. :)

If that's your reason, you haven't given any real thought to how worthwhile or wasteful it is for the devs to implement this. And it's far into the wasteful side because:

1. The planet will largely never be seen for its colors because there is no ambient light because it's rogue. Waste of effort to make the textures.
  2. Players will find themselves complaining or struggling on landings because they can't see how close or far the ground is. There will be spam of lights and tweaking of visuals in desperate attempts to cheat the darkness.
  3. Once you know where the Kerbin-like worlds are, you don't have a dog's hair to give about the rogues anymore. And it'll probably be quite a detour to visit them on your way to anywhere else. Who's gonna pack the dV for that? Let's be honest here.

Exception to #2 would be what @SenatorSteam said above. If you like landing challenge and spooky vibe. Then again, a night side landing on any non-rogue world, especially an outer gas planet's large moon can give the exact same gameplay value so I withdraw my exception. :D

Agreed on all points, but with an exception to #3, which is if the devs placed a concentrated resource on the rogue planet valuable enough to warrant the journey. (if such a thing existed) Anything which would qualify is probably wildly unrealistic.