Install mods on MacBook M1 os 13 Ventura

cygnus008

My grandson and I   started KSP a few weeks ago and see some mods we would really like. I have a new MacBook M1 and would like some help.  Do the mods work on Apple OS?  If so how do you install them we would really like to install the alarm clock mod.

Be gentle with us we are new to this :) 

Larry

NoWhere Wyoming

The current version of KSP has an alarm clock built in, which works very well.  However, two extremely popular mods have been Kerbal Alarm Clock (KAC) and TWP (Transfer Window Planner.

There are a few ways of handling (installing) mods.  I just drop the mod folder into the KSP folder called 'GameData'.  The GameData folder can be found in the directory where the KSP files are stored.  Typically when you open the KSP folder, the GameData folder is at or near the top of the list.  Simply drag the mod folder into the GameData folder, and restart the game.

I'm uncertain wether the KAC mod functions with the latest versions of KSP, which have an alarm clock built in.  It should still function.

I've tested, but not extensively used, mods on M1 Macs and they worked without issues, at least for the testing I did.  Not all visual mods will work but that's a Mac thing not an M1 thing.

You can install mods either manually (e.g. downloading each mod, the mod's dependencies, and copying them *correctly* into the GameData folder) or use CKAN in console mode.  CKAN is the better option once you get over the learning curve and install issues.

I installed ckan using something called 'brew', a command line app used to install UNIX like programs but there's also the downloadable app from the dev's site.  I haven't tested it, but it should work.  You may need to authorize the App to run from the System Preferences->Security & Privacy since it's unsigned. 

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases

It will load in your Terminal so it won't work quite like it does on a PC but it's functional enough once you get used to it.

I was able to get CKAN installed and it simplified things a bunch.  I notice that if you get CKAN from GitHub it appears that the down load is picture of a satellite.  Anyway I was able to get the install on another download site and it works like a well built rocket :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.