First beta KSP2 images

Just now, Snafu225 said:

Having read a lot on this forum, I'm afraid some have expectations in the game which are blown out of proportion or feasibility. I'm almost certain many will be disappointed on release.

I won't name names but it's only a few people that hold KSP 2 to silly expectations. Rest assured, KSP 2 won't be bombed with negative reviews saying "there's too much green", etc. :)

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I won't name names but it's only a few people that hold KSP 2 to silly expectations. Rest assured, KSP 2 won't be bombed with negative reviews saying "there's too much green", etc. :)

7/10, too much water

1 minute ago, Gojira said:
4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

7/10, too much water

0/10, KSP 2 didn't follow other games in the pursuit of vapid realistic graphics

:P

14 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

That is until you've seen the circus that is steam community discussions on ksp2 o-o 
I have fears this forum is incredibly tame compared to a more general sample of prospective KSP 2 buyers. 

42 minutes ago, Xelo said:

That is until you've seen the circus that is steam community discussions on ksp2 o-o 
I have fears this forum is incredibly tame compared to a more general sample of prospective KSP 2 buyers. 

When you consider that this forum is populated by pretty die hard ksp fans that have the energy to speculate about the game months from release, it's no surprise that this forum is pretty tame in terms of criticism.

The reaction during release will probably be somewhere between this forum and the steam forums. 60ish% steam review score with the lack of features being the biggest sticking point.

Something along the lines of "We waited four years and we don't even get IVA!? This game is a scam just play modded ksp 1" is probably gonna be a pretty standard response during launch.

Edited by Luriss

1 hour ago, Luriss said:

Something along the lines of "We waited four years and we don't even get IVA!? This game is a scam just play modded ksp 1" is probably gonna be a pretty standard response during launch.

Steam Reviews require you to have and play the game, the QOL features and overall gameplay improvements should be way more obvious while you play than they are in screenshots.

41 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Steam Reviews require you to have and play the game, the QOL features and overall gameplay improvements should be way more obvious while you play than they are in screenshots.

I take a more pessimistic view. People will probably just see the things from that are missing while ignoring all the new improvements and QoL stuff. The reception will be more positive in the long term however.

i decided to recreate one of the beta screenshots in stock ksp, to compare graphics.

its safe to say there is a massive difference, but i do feel like the ksp2 screenshot is missing some aerodynamic effects. assuming the SRB's are clydesdales in the beta screenshot my ksp1 craft cant really be going much faster as it is only the SRB's firing. so i think there should be aero effects

202301081127221.jpg

ss9f7d31044972b7c6a2.jpg

4 minutes ago, KalleHeHa said:

i decided to recreate one of the beta screenshots in stock ksp, to compare graphics.

its safe to say there is a massive difference, but i do feel like the ksp2 screenshot is missing some aerodynamic effects. assuming the SRB's are clydesdales in the beta screenshot my ksp1 craft cant really be going much faster as it is only the SRB's firing. so i think there should be aero effects

202301081127221.jpg

ss9f7d31044972b7c6a2.jpg

Do a screenshot with visual mods added too.

3 hours ago, KalleHeHa said:

202301081127221.jpg

ss9f7d31044972b7c6a2.jpg

Wow, I can't remember the last time I played without at least visual mods. Completely forgot how stock KSP looks plus even though I still play KSP1 I already got hit with the nostalgia fellacy. :o

What are the chances you'll compare more of those screenshots?

202301081127221.jpg

ss9f7d31044972b7c6a2.jpg

Oh wait! Looking at htese, the KSC is on the same spot! I thought they'd move it. Do you have a craft file? I'd really like to try this out on my visual modded save.

Edited by Rutabaga22

202301081127221.jpg

ss9f7d31044972b7c6a2.jpg

Were you running on low settings? The texture tiling, the low polygon count on the mountains in the distance, this is not how stock KSP looks like on highest settings.

Also, to whoever will try it, you can compare the modded KSP to the sequel all you want but keep in mind, again, that KSP2 devs are not aiming for their game to look better than KSP1 with <a certain and very specific set of mods>.

Edited by The Aziz

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Were you running on low settings? The texture tiling, the low polygon count on the mountains in the distance, this is not how stock KSP looks like on highest settings.

Also, to whoever will try it, you can compare the modded KSP to the sequel all you want but keep in mind, again, that KSP2 devs are not aiming for their game to look better than KSP1 with <a certain and very specific set of mods>.

not quite the highest quality but close, ive turned them up now

Edited by KalleHeHa

5 hours ago, KalleHeHa said:

202301081127221.jpg

ss9f7d31044972b7c6a2.jpg

As far as I'm concerned the missing effects are good, as far as I know you don't launch a rocket in the real world and have it be set alight on ascent. I think it has more to do with how they've tweaked the atmosphere than the actual effect being impossible to create.

13 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

As far as I'm concerned the missing effects are good, as far as I know you don't launch a rocket in the real world and have it be set alight on ascent. I think it has more to do with how they've tweaked the atmosphere than the actual effect being impossible to create.

I think you are totally correct, the first ksp would have just been a bit inaccurate 

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

They are also aiming for a proper visual style, not the trademark cobbled-together realistic-ish look you get from visual mods.

No indication of procedural tanks and for now it looks like a graphics/optimization pass on KSP1. Big disappointment here. I think I'm going to have to wait for future updates before I commit to buying this, especially with progression mechanics unknown.

5 minutes ago, regex said:

No indication of procedural tanks and for now it looks like a graphics/optimization pass on KSP1. Big disappointment here. I think I'm going to have to wait for future updates before I commit to buying this, especially with progression mechanics unknown.

It is what it is. Some of us will go in as early adopters and try to help with the bugs and direction. I assume most of the game is already designed and implemented, so I'm not sure how much influence we will carry, but I hope the devs at least had a look at some of the wishlists and will pick what they believe is best for gameplay. Onward!

Do you guys think there will be a marketing campaign before launch? My biggest gripe is the lack of information about the new game systems.

11 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Do you guys think there will be a marketing campaign before launch?

Doesn’t look like it, and if they do do anything, it will be pretty small. They are likely saving those costs for the 1.0 release where it will be more profitable since the price will increase. 

1 hour ago, regex said:

So you've not read a single dev post, I assume?

29 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

So you've not read a single dev post, I assume?

Oh I have. They're incredibly light on details. Which is fine, that's their choice. I just don't really see anything here to get excited about.