A tidally locked planet.

This is not a suggestion, more like a request/lowkey demand.

We need to have a planet that is tidally locked to its star, so that the side always facing the star is a scorching hot desert, and the side facing away from it eternally frozen over, with a region of habitability on and around the terminator.

20 minutes ago, Blaarkies said:

So almost like Moho ?

It used to be locked, but now has a very slow spin to it. 102 kerbin days to complete an orbit, and 123 kerbin days to spin around itself once

No! I mean a habitable tidally locked planet! Did you even read the last part of the post!?

Edited by Maria Sirona

1 hour ago, Maria Sirona said:

We need to have a planet that is tidally locked to its star, so that the side always facing the star is a scorching hot desert, and the side facing away from it eternally frozen over, with a region of habitability on and around the terminator.

Highly supportive of the idea! More here.

14 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

No! I mean a habitable tidally locked planet! Did you even read the last part of the post!?

Whoah, chill out dude :huh: sorry i didn't realize you were so fixated on the 'habitability'. Kerbals don't have a concept of habitability, they only care if the atmosphere has oxygen or not, so I figured you would mostly get an answer around the tidally locked property. Have you checked if there are some mods already that show an example of this?

6 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Whoah, chill out dude :huh: sorry i didn't realize you were so fixated on the 'habitability'. Kerbals don't have a concept of habitability, they only care if the atmosphere has oxygen or not, so I figured you would mostly get an answer around the tidally locked property. Have you checked if there are some mods already that show an example of this?

Kerbals pop if they get hit by a rocket engine's exhaust for an extended period, so they also care about temperature. And the atmosphere is also a needed "property". And i do know of the tidally locked Kerbin mod, but that's for KSP1 and i specifically want a tidally locked alien planet.

23 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

This is not a suggestion, more like a request/lowkey demand

22 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

1 hour ago, Maria Sirona said:

i specifically want a tidally locked alien planet

220px-Hal_9000_Panel.svg.png

"Look, Dave. I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over."

We have only seen a few of the planets that will be in KSP 2 so far, so now's not the time to be getting angry or hyper-fixated on the possibility that KSP 2 won't have a planet for every single niche there is in astrophysics. KSP 2 might have a habitable tidally locked planet, it might not. But does it overshadow the fact that in a few months we won't have to be driven insane by KSP 1's abysmal performance and buggy physics?

49 minutes ago, Catto said:

i think puf is tidally locked?

I don’t think it’s stated anywhere.

that said how a planet or moon gets tidally locked is it’s close enough to its primary that tidal forces caused by the gravity slows its rotation until only one side faces it.

Given that it takes both  time and some luck ( Mercury has a 3:2 resonance with the sun because of its orbit, and that’s not likely to change any time before it’s engulfed by the sun) and nothing else in the solar system is tidally locked to the sun, I find it kind of unlikely you will find a tidally locked planet with a habitable zone outside of sci fi.

Granted this is KSP so who knows.

1 hour ago, Drakenred65 said:

I don’t think it’s stated anywhere.

that said how a planet or moon gets tidally locked is it’s close enough to its primary that tidal forces caused by the gravity slows its rotation until only one side faces it.

Given that it takes both  time and some luck ( Mercury has a 3:2 resonance with the sun because of its orbit, and that’s not likely to change any time before it’s engulfed by the sun) and nothing else in the solar system is tidally locked to the sun, I find it kind of unlikely you will find a tidally locked planet with a habitable zone outside of sci fi.

Granted this is KSP so who knows.

I don't know why i thought that

3 hours ago, Just a random person said:

Puf has polar ice caps, suggesting it isn't tidally locked to it's star.

Good point, you expect an tidal locked planet to have an cold side away from the sun, you get polar ice caps if planet rotates. 

8 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Good point, you expect an tidal locked planet to have an cold side away from the sun, you get polar ice caps if planet rotates. 

They also released promotional material which showed Duna with ice caps on the equator, and said they did it for cinematic purposes. I'd say an eye-ball planet is strong enough evidence that Puff is tidally locked, and that any 'discrepancies' will be fixed

1 hour ago, Nirgal said:

They also released promotional material which showed Duna with ice caps on the equator, and said they did it for cinematic purposes. I'd say an eye-ball planet is strong enough evidence that Puff is tidally locked, and that any 'discrepancies' will be fixed

The people who did the video was also an outside group, who aparentyly did that because it looked cool, and Nate later said that was a mistake they did not catch, so eh.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:53 AM, Maria Sirona said:

The Terminator? 

Ah yes, Planet T-800.

16 hours ago, Fletch4 said:

it would be pretty rad if you, as a newb, land on the center of the light side of the planet, and the second your kerbal steps outside, he explodes into a bloody mess.

WahOOOH!!  Where did THAT come from? We have scientific genocide, not TORTURE!

6 hours ago, Nirgal said:

The 90⁰ rotated Duna was in an animated trailer (and we know Duna has ice caps anyways), but we have seen Puf's ice caps in actual renders although a tidally locked planet should not have polar caps at all. I don't think the devs would have put ice caps on the planet, regardless of the rotation, if it was known they would be removed later. 

Also iirc it was confirmed that the eyeball shape is a large impact scar, so there isn't really any strong evidence for it being tidally locked

16 minutes ago, Just a random person said:

The 90⁰ rotated Duna was in an animated trailer (and we know Duna has ice caps anyways), but we have seen Puf's ice caps in actual renders although a tidally locked planet should not have polar caps at all. I don't think the devs would have put ice caps on the planet, regardless of the rotation, if it was known they would be removed later. 

Also iirc it was confirmed that the eyeball shape is a large impact scar, so there isn't really any strong evidence for it being tidally locked

That's interesting, but to be honest I'd prefer a tidally locked planet to a large impact scar.. either way I'm excited for more unique places to explore

On 1/6/2023 at 6:53 AM, Maria Sirona said:

white sands Brandon Sanderson reference?

Cool idea, it would be cool to see this implemented in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 9:13 AM, Jacob Kerman said:

WahOOOH!!  Where did THAT come from? We have scientific genocide, not TORTURE!

its not torture if we are testing pressure limits for suits in  the most kerbally way...