I was planning to stop playing till Release Day. Am I the only one?

I'm looking forward to Release Day for KSP2, only six weeks away (give or take a few days).

A week ago, my main hard drive packed it in, and I had to reinstall everything. I had Steam backing up my saves on a semi-regular basis, but my main Career game got set back about six weeks.

I took it as a sign, and scaled back my KSP1 playing, in prep for KSP2.

Everything we're seeing suggests that the controls, gameplay, graphics, and HUD have been completely redone from the ground up. Game 'hangover' is something that usually only bothers me on Console, but give how many 'commands' there are in a KSP game, I'm inclined to make a clean break with KSP1, let muscle memory fade, and learn the new game fresh.

So I wondered if anyone else was planning to do the same.

I'm doing the opposite. There are a couple things I haven't done in KSP 1. I feel like once KSP 2 comes out, I'm not going to have the motivation to go back to KSP 1 and complete them. Now's the time to strike off the bucket list!

I'm planning on completing a fully self-reliant Grand Tour before KSP 2 is out, but the longer any mission goes on, the more likely the Kraken is to smite it and I haven't managed to build any attempts that can defend against it. Maybe I'll only be able to do it once KSP 2 comes out. 

I want to land on all the celestial bodies in KSP2 before the second game is out since I've never been to all of the objects outside cheats, I still have Eve, Moho, Bop, Laythe, Tylo, and Eeloo to go. I'm confident I can finish in a couple weeks. 

I'll continue chugging along my heavily modded career game for the foreseeable future, as KSP2 can't possibly match its features anywhere near release. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't touch 2 until a year after release, as so many modded things (mainly larger scale and FAR) have become must haves for me. And I'm still waiting to see if they deliver on significant performance improvements.

I haven't played KSP since 1.12.2 dropped, one and a half years ago. Given that I've got some four-digit number of hours played privately ever since I started in alpha 0.21, and additionally did volunteer prerelease testing for Private Division on both DLCs and most major updates before they went live, I think that I've earned the break :P

And I do plan on waiting for KSP 2 to drop. Even though the anticipation has lately been making me want to put together some rockets again. I know that, if I "get my fix" now, then February won't be quite as sweet.

I found a new bug in KSP1. If you place a probe core with grip pads at the bottom and beneath it (in the middle) a heat shield, then when you jettison the HS it's going to fail because it remains stuck to some of the grip pads.

Ah and also we need a new type of utility weight - a small procedural part that can be attached radially and act as a weight to balance the Center of Mass of small probes. Bigger / heavier variants could be used to also balance larger craft.

4 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Ah and also we need a new type of utility weight - a small procedural part that can be attached radially and act as a weight to balance the Center of Mass of small probes. Bigger / heavier variants could be used to also balance larger craft.

Why not just use 2x symmetry on whatever you're placing?

16 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

So I don't waste useful surface / area on a lander probe core. A parachute is big and heavy and I only need to place one and put science experiments and small lead utility weight opposite. It's a design tool.

Edited by Vl3d

35 minutes ago, Vl3d said:
50 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

So I don't waste useful surface / area on a lander probe core. A parachute is big and heavy and I only need to place one and put science experiments and small lead utility weight opposite. It's a design tool.

I don't understand how using 2 antennas would be any more wasteful than one antenna and one weight.

I have been avoiding playing KSP since soon after the KSP2 early access video came out.

But I still help others with KSP issues sometimes and every now and again someone submits a bug report on the bug tracker that is good to try to figure out/help with.

But my hours in KSP1 have severely reduced.

I had wvery intention of not playing KSP until 2 dropped.  And then Epic made 1.12.4 available for free, so I modded that install with all of the near future stuff...and its like Christmas.

I will say that getting 2 won't stop me from playing 1.

ive found myself playing a lot more since learning the release is coming soon. if course i HAD to finish my kerbin rover circumnavigation that i started in 2021 or i would never finish it. since then ive just been messing with different rover designs trying different stuff. i cant wait to do it all again on the new kerbin! i just hope the terrain is a bit smoother. nothing like cruising at 200mph and hitting the transition between two polygons like a BRICK WALL.

I more or less stopped playing KSP1 three years ago when we learned KSP2 was in development. Once I knew the sequel was on the way it felt somewhat pointless to play KSP1. I have briefly flown some planes around KSC for fun every 6-12 months but that's it really.

Reading content about KSP2 has taken over my 'fix' for space / Kerbal stuff. Bear in mind this mindset developed with the anticipation that we'd be getting the game... earlier than now.

I also have this problem with Kenshi, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, GTA etc. I know the sequels are coming so lose motivation to play something which will relatively soon be obsolete.

I've been thinking about KSP2 every day since announcement. It will be the closest thing I'll get to visiting another planet or star system.

24 minutes ago, Nirgal said:

It will be the closest thing I'll get to visiting another planet or star system.

And that, my friends, is why graphics, sounds, interesting landscapes, weather visuals effects, caves, underground lakes etc. matter! That's why I'm expecting some basic planetarium features. We're not just playing LEGO, we're exploring the universe.

1 minute ago, Vl3d said:

And that, my friends, is why graphics, sounds, interesting landscapes, weather visuals effects, caves, underground lakes etc. matter! That's why I'm expecting some basic planetarium features. We're not just playing LEGO, we're exploring the universe.

A planetarium has what to do with graphics, sounds, landscapes, weather, caves, lakes, etc...? How many ways do you want us to tell you that a second tracking station with decorative but effectively useless bells and whistles is something the devs do not need to concern themselves with right now?

31 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

a second tracking station with decorative but effectively useless bells and whistles

I don't know how you can call science results and planetary structure and history "decorative but useless".

I haven't played KSP1 at all for several years now. Well, except for the recent science mode playthrough I did to refresh my memory of the game, maybe twenty hours.

I've put, I don't know, probably over two thousand hours into playing and modding KSP1, and I'm quite frankly burnt out on it. That's one of the reasons I'm not buying into the early access right now, there's nothing to really excite me about the gameplay. Sure it's pretty, it's optimized, we get new UI, but how different is it actually going to be from playing KSP1? In a few updates it may be worth my time but not now.

Edited by regex

Well, I will probably continue to play KSP while I play KSP2.

I base this on my play habits:

• I own CIV III, IV, V, and VI. Yet I play IV and V the most. Occasionally I will play VI.
  • I play Cities: Skylines and SimCity 4, too.
  • I play Tropico 3 and Tropico 4 (I own Tropico 5 but don't like it).