Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 7 - Recording Rockets

All props to ULA and Boeing! Wish other companies were this open and supportive with KSP.

Also it's such a gift to have a great professional like Howard Mostrom really focusing and working on the game sounds and music. It's really AAA effort in my book.

Edited by Vl3d

This was good.....if it was released  three weeks ago. I mean, the episode itself it's fine. But they're gonna start selling the game in six weeks. I really hope they start pumping up this episodes and actually start showing some gameplay. I don't mean to sound rude or impatient, but, February is right around the corner, i'm feeling a bit nervous that they're still showing the art department and still not focusing on gameplay mechanics.

Edited by Sesshaku

15 hours ago, Intercept Games said:

Hello Kerbonauts! 

KSP2's Feature video on Recording Rockets is here! 

In this video, we will be featuring how Sound Director Howard Mostrom recorded a real rocket launch to use in KSP2! 

kind of scary? 

it’s a bomb, stacked on a bigger bomb that has bombs strapped to it.

yes kind of scary. And awsome

5 minutes ago, Sesshaku said:

This was good.....if it was released  three weeks ago. I mean, the episode itself it's fine. But they're gonna start selling the game in six weeks. I really hope they start pumping up this episodes and actually start showing some gameplay. I don't mean to sound rude or impatient, but, February is right around the corner, i'm feeling a bit nervous that they're still showing the art department and still not focusing on gameplay mechanics.

Check out our social posts thread to see our video of beta capture! 

Aw man, those alarm sound on the VAB are so cool.. it really makes you feel that rocket building is dangerous work with very big objects and huge cranes. And also can't wait to hear the kerbals talk again (reversed Spanish, right?)!

Edited by Vl3d

Now that I've watched it, that audio is simply stunning!

I'm curious as to how it will all work together. From the video it seems the audio is relatively static when watching your rocket up close; would stuff like crackle become more apparent when you zoom out/change camera orientation?

It'll also be neat to see how the VAB sounds are implemented.

8 minutes ago, Drakenred65 said:

kind of scary? 

it’s a bomb, stacked on a bigger bomb that has bombs strapped to it.

Admittedly most of the bomb wasn't fuelled at the time. :P  It's only the three solid motors that were in any state to go off. And their ignition system is actually pretty safe.

They quietly just pushed 1.12.5 to KSP1, giving context to that ship crashing onto the Mun's Arch at the end of the Episode...

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/220200/view/3650762049190579639?l=english

ChangeLog:
=================================== v1.12.5 ============================================================
+++ Improvements
* Added something...on Mun.

Capture courtesy of @Truthful_ast on Twitter

Anyone got ideas for what  it is or what it means?

This is one of the coolest things Ive ever seen. Absolutely incredible the effort being put into authenticity here. Genius. 

12 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Aw man, those alarm sound on the VAB are so cool.. it really makes you feel that rocket building is dangerous work with very big objects and huge cranes. And also can't wait to hear the kerbals talk again (reversed Spanish, right?)!

We’ve heard Kerblish in some of the older videos and it’s positively adorable. 

5 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

They quietly just pushed 1.12.5 to KSP1, giving context to that ship crashing onto the Mun's Arch at the end of the Episode...

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/220200/view/3650762049190579639?l=english

ChangeLog:
=================================== v1.12.5 ============================================================
+++ Improvements

Perhaps it's an alien spacecraft and that's where the Kerbals get the new tech for interstellar ships?

-K

4 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

So I have to say it - regarding the beta footage in the Feature Episode: want persistent contrails too, like in the real footage!

I always wanted this too. That was one of the 2 things I hated from KSP1's smoke trail.

The other one was the trail not being emmited by the engines on the direction they're pointing at, but "dragging" from your engines based on your trajectory and looking just bad.

Edited by MARL_Mk1

You know he's a sound geek because he's recording random equipment failure noises in the office; never miss an opportunity. That's a sign that the game is in good hands.

So the "something more" messages linked to the rocket traveling to the Mun and smashing into the arch are now complete? It says "the finale". Has anyone decoded the message yet?

Also.. part 2 teaser says "summer 2023". We have to wait that long for it!?

10 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

This is one of the coolest things Ive ever seen. Absolutely incredible the effort being put into authenticity here. Genius. 

We’ve heard Kerblish in some of the older videos and it’s positively adorable. 

For a second I thought you were talking about the Mun er moon arch.

Just now, Vl3d said:

So the "something more" messages linked to the rocket traveling to the Mun and smashing into the arch are now complete? It says "the finale". Has anyone decoded the message yet?

Um no I think that’s for the sound track? I don’t think that they announcing unscheduled disassembly? (Delay)

2 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

For that specific video. I'm sure there will be more videos between now and then. And if there's not, we have KSP 2 to keep us busy. Only 44 days after all. 

Just now, Drakenred65 said:

Um no I think that’s for the sound track? I don’t think that they announcing unscheduled disassembly? (Delay)

No.. i think the soundtrack is releasing with EA and we just have to wait for the behind the scenes video of how it was composed and recorded.

34 minutes ago, Luriss said:

Now that I've watched it, that audio is simply stunning!

I'm curious as to how it will all work together. From the video it seems the audio is relatively static when watching your rocket up close; would stuff like crackle become more apparent when you zoom out/change camera orientation?

It'll also be neat to see how the VAB sounds are implemented.

This is an interesting question. Scott Manley has a whole video on rocket sounds and this crackle in particular. Whenever I see videos of rocket launches the crackle seems to become more pronounced the higher it goes, but Im not sure if that has to do with the relative speed of the rocket through the atmosphere, reduced pressure of the surrounding atmosphere, or the increasing distance from the rocket to the observer/recording equipment. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

41 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

ChangeLog:
+++ Improvements

Those lights, to me, look like a lot like depictions of solar systems.. Also my interpretation of the famous pixel image decoded from the sound at the end of these episodes has always pointed towards 12 (if I remember correctly) star systems being in KSP2.