The Ksp mun Easter egg

Orry

Just now, Ahres said:

Sheesh, I apparently need to work on the tone I'm trying to portray

For the record, I  don't really care for the 1.12.5 update either. I just prefer the arch to be the arch. To that end, I've locked my steam instance to 1.12.4. 

5 minutes ago, Ahres said:

Sheesh, I apparently need to work on the tone I'm trying to portray. I'm stating my opinion as descriptively as I can and it's being received as... whining? You guys can't just say, "that's a valid point, but it doesn't look like the game will be going the route you were hoping for"?

The joy of written communication -- you lose of a lot of the subtle hints of face-to-face (or even voice-only) communication offers.

If you are disappointed, think of the Kerbals when they find out their universe is nothing but a computer game simulation.

10 minutes ago, Ahres said:

Sheesh, I apparently need to work on the tone I'm trying to portray. I'm stating my opinion as descriptively as I can and it's being received as... whining? You guys can't just say, "that's a valid point, but it doesn't look like the game will be going the route you were hoping for"?

Im with you on all this. I think Id been envisioning a ‘search for life’ mechanic in a more ‘sciencecy’ way, even if the visual style was a bit cartoonish. Like finding geysers tipped in green moss or fossils on Duna, bacterial stromatolites or even simple fungal life on Laythe, a series of traces that led up to a much more life-rich world like Lapat. No other sentient species except maybe like a few easter eggs way at the end. I think that may have followed a much more educational tack rather than going the Ancient Aliens route. Who knows though maybe we’ll get a bit of both. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

Just now, Pthigrivi said:

Im with you on all this. I think Id been envisioning a ‘search for life’ mechanic in a more ‘sciencecy’ way, even if the visuals style was more cartoonish. Like finding geysers tipped in green moss or fossils on Duna, bacterial stromatolites or even simple fungal life on Laythe, a series of traces that led up to a much more life-rich world like Lapat. No other sentient species except maybe like a few easter eggs way at the end. I think that may have followed a much more educational tack rather than going the Ancient Aliens route. Who knows though maybe we’ll get a bit of both. 

This. Please. This is exactly what I was expecting the game to be. 

Well the thing Is games have Easter eggs.

world of Warcraft has references to Startrek Star Wars, halo and the Sims, and RedDead.

Fallout 3/4/76 has references to TES. Skyrim has references to fallout, and I suspect there’s references to Starfield in Fallout 4 and 76.

it’s just something devs do, because they like games Tv and movies too.

16 hours ago, Drakenred65 said:

Dude, chill. It’s a teaser for the upcoming game.

besides KSP already had crashed UFOs and Monoliths all over the freaking place

It’s a water erosion stone arch. On a airless moon.  Also it’s ment to be a teaser for KSP 2. Relax.

This now some is easy to explain, the temple is something ancient Kerbals build, the Mun landing monument was put there by some rich Kerbal. The rover head on Duna is from one of the rival space agencies who strand kerbalsl in space or pay to have you fix their rovers and satellites. However the UFO and the Monoliths predates the contracts. 

Think the damage is from an rocket crashing into it, and people has flown through the arc at orbital velocity.

Here is the last KSP 1 challenge, orbit through the Tylo cave, don't think its even possible because of the terrain, if not modifying it so its possible in KSP 2 would make sense. 

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Im with you on all this. I think Id been envisioning a ‘search for life’ mechanic in a more ‘sciencecy’ way, even if the visual style was a bit cartoonish. Like finding geysers tipped in green moss or fossils on Duna, bacterial stromatolites or even simple fungal life on Laythe, a series of traces that led up to a much more life-rich world like Lapat. No other sentient species except maybe like a few easter eggs way at the end. I think that may have followed a much more educational tack rather than going the Ancient Aliens route. Who knows though maybe we’ll get a bit of both. 

Agree, and the note from how science in KSP 2 works point toward this, crystals and rare meteorites in craters. Combined with stromatolites on Laythe who has to have life. 

3 hours ago, Drakenred65 said:

Well the thing Is games have Easter eggs.

And if this is actually just an easter egg that's completely fine. I think what many of us were hoping is that anomalies would become a more fully integrated part of the science and progression systems. If that were to be the case, (and regardless I hope that it is) then these would no longer be easter eggs, they'd be game elements. It was part of my gripe about the anomalies as they were in KSP1. They were tedious to locate because mapping was so poor, though cute they were a bit frivolous and directionless in style and tone, obviously kind of tossed around without any real plan, and they didn't carry an integrated incentive for landing precisely or scouting with rovers. Now if they have integrated a more Space Odyssey sci-fi kind of element to the game it could still accomplish those goals, so I'm not that worried for actual gameplay. It's just a tonal question. This is a perfectly subjective thing but to me KSP is fundamentally a science game with cartoony aesthetics, not a science fiction game. Hence most folks resistance to warp drives, warp gates, cryogenic freezing, etc. Of course with KSP2 we have things like interstellar drives and colonies and all that so we are in sci-fi territory, I guess I just thought it was going to be a bit more hard boiled. That said though, stuff like this is fun, and perhaps keeping things restrained to collecting extremophile lichen on Eve, or sampling big crystal formations on Minmus might be a bit too dry a play experience for kids. I have an open mind. I would like to see the latter kind of thing be a part of it even if it wasn't the exclusive center of science and exploration.

Edited by Pthigrivi

5 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Instead of the stereotype of little green man from spa...

Oh, wait.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Oh, wait.

Haha no, its true. Like I said this is subjective. To me it's kind of like the difference between using a cute animation to describe gravity or heat to kids and a History Channel special on how Grays built the pyramids. Kerbals are a cartoon stand in for our world, and when you start adding other fantastical elements the metaphor becomes mixed. Like I said though, I have an open mind. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

3 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Oh, wait.

Pretty sure Kerbals has tons of pulp science fiction involving little green men or women depending on target demographic. 

On the other hand, remember an city building game set in ancient Egypt there an father told kid that aliens build be pyramids and you could see the construction in the background. 
Games do weird meta stuff like this from time to time like rescuing an npc from an lair full of vampires, the npc don't believe in  vampires so he assume they are just bandits or cultists. 
Twist if  the npc has been turned int one.  

17 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

For the record, I  don't really care for the 1.12.5 update either. I just prefer the arch to be the arch. To that end, I've locked my steam instance to 1.12.4. 

It's canon now and there's nothing you can do about it! :D

9 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Pretty sure Kerbals has tons of pulp science fiction involving little green men or women depending on target demographic. 

I posit that the Kerbal sci fi equivalents of Little Green Men are actually almost twice as tall as the average Kerb and come in a range of colours from pale pink through dark brown.  Very small heads, too.

4 hours ago, Vl3d said:

It's canon now and there's nothing you can do about it!

spike the canons... :ph34r:

(incidentally, this will not be the first time I've run afoul of canon law)

Edited by Caerfinon

I mean, the mun arches were already "unrealistic" in that arches like that can't be formed by geological activity on a moon that is devoid of atmosphere, therefore their status as "easter egg" and not "evidence of how the Mun might have had an atmosphere or even hydrosphere at one point".

So I guess I'm saying that the mun arches were already "non-canon" in a way in what little we know of the KSP "lore", meaning that if they changed them a little bit to celebrate the nearing release of KSP 2, that's not going to change anything about how KSP 1's "Lore" works.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:58 AM, Ahres said:

Yeah... I'm not thrilled about it.

Now one of the coolest natural formations in the game turns out to be an unrealistic ancient relic. I liked the game because I got to explore what was naturally, geologically possible out there in the cosmos. That feeling is now greatly diminished.

Darn it! Next thing you know someone's going to tell me all those monoliths aren't natural formations either!

People have been able to clip the camera into the stone and see a bit more of the golden arch, so there was already a solid guess on what these lights are, but I wanted to get a cleaner look, so I removed everything from the scene that was getting in the way, along with some of the texture layers, leaving just the most relevant detail. I don't think this leaves any doubt about what the lights represent.

Obviously, a potential spoiler.

Spoiler

image.png

I was hoping for there to be more, but I guess we'll have to actually wait for KSP2 for the complete picture. :) 

25 minutes ago, Luriss said:

I actually have the suspicion that every week or so they'll reveal a bit more

Yeah hopefully. The change to the arch was so small and yet it did great for advertising for KSP2 because of the many youtube videos that seemed to have popped up about it.

Perhaps we will see the entire arch before the 24th of February.

5 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Just a quick question: how did you do to remove everything from the scene that was getting in the way, along with some of the texture layers?

The rocks of the Mun arch and the solar system... thingy are two separate entities. Just remove the Mun rocks.