KSP 1.12.5

jimmymcgoochie

This afternoon an update appeared for KSP on Steam- 1.12.5. The change notes are extremely short:

* Added something...on Mun.

So I set out to try and find this mysterious something.

Spoilers ahead!

Spoiler

At first I thought it might be a new anomaly, but a quick check with a SCAN anomaly scanner revealed no new anomalies.

Spoiler

Then I read the KSP wiki entry for the Mun which says:

Revised an easter egg

So I started checking each anomaly one by one to see if one of them had changed.

Spoiler

And one has:

fwuI4Xp.png

The only problem is I've closed KSP since taking this screenshot and can't remember which arch it is! I'll update this later when I get back to KSP.

I doubt they'd make such a departure as Stargates.

I think it's a map. I think it's lore.

Most of the discussion about this image is that it's a brightly colored large circle, with a smaller one orbiting it. The current theory is that they're color-coding Planets with Moons. Green image for one of the moons of Jool, Purple of Eve and Gilly...

What if it's not the planets. What if it's stars? Yellow star is Kerbol. Next system we visit in KSP2 has a red star, or even a green one...

My guess? Each system may have a liveable planet.

Here's my theory; I think that those Mun arcs are buried portals or stargates from the ancestors of Kerbals which I think are far future humans with hyper-advance alien-like technology. These advance humans were, I think, fleeing their failing galactic empire. These humans were advance enough to place stargate-like technology across their galaxy which also includes what would later be called the Mun. Judging from the state of those Mun arcs, they we're either covered up with the nearby Mun dust by the humans or the Mun dust were electrostatically attracted and attached to them over the years. Another possibility is that the Kerbals launched a cover-up operation on the Mun to make sure their past or whatever the stargates lead to, remains buried. Maybe too literally. Either way,

KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM LORE DROP!

Also, are there any stargate or portal mods?

We know that 'routine' flights, like resupplies? In KSP2 they will happen in automatically the background. I'd glad for it, because Drilling/Refuelling Flights are the grindiest parts of KSP1 for me.

I would accept Stargates as that sort of thing for Interstellar-level supply flights. It would have to be late game. It would have to be difficult to build or unlock. If it was a simple matter to build one, then it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying.

It could be the final unlockable, or something mission-specific. Some games have long, involved missions to unlock a specific high-level weapon or piece of armor. I could see the KSP-verse having 'Lore Items' as their special prizes. But you'd want to make them optional for the people who want to stay 'pure' in their Hard-Scifi.

I'll just say that any type of non-realistic technology should be absolutely and forever banned from KSP. No warp, no stargates, no FTL.

It's always been a staple of lazy writing, a narrative crutch to compress multi generational projects in a 30 minutes episode that's digestible on TV, just to keep the same characters in view.

I'll go so far as to say that FTL travel is the worst thing that's ever happened to sci-fi.

Edited by Vl3d

16 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

It's always been a staple of lazy writing, a narrative crutch to compress multi generational projects in a 30 minutes episode that's digestible on TV, just to keep the same characters in view.

Not necessarily.

Hard sci-fi is only better than soft if you've conditioned yourself to get annoyed whenever something isn't as realistic as you envisioned. One isn't better than the other; you can have FTL and rich worldbuilding in the same thing, it happens all the time. Star Wars? Warhammer 40k? Even The Expanse has offbrand stargates to sidestep interstellar travel.

1 hour ago, stephensmat said:

I would accept Stargates as that sort of thing for Interstellar-level supply flights. It would have to be late game. It would have to be difficult to build or unlock. If it was a simple matter to build one, then it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying.

The devs have already confirmed that this will not happen. 

5 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Warhammer 40k?

40k would be the best sci-fi universe ever written if there was no Warp and all the religious aspects were realistic. But that's a discussion for another day..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.