Karecibo Message - Complete Version

Vl3d

15 hours ago, Snafu225 said:

True :D, though I give the community three days max after the interstellar release until someone uploads a video in which they tried/went interstellar with regular engines. :sticktongue:

Solved problem. :sticktongue:

Ok, we can't be strictly sure that this technique will work in KSP2, but I'm sure somebody will figure out some way of punching through to the singularity inside the planets.

2 hours ago, desert said:

At first I thought that the message is about an interstellar travel, but after reading other users' ideas, I  think that it is about a new planet in Kerbol system, most likely a revival of old KSP lore plans:

I have used three options for measuring the distance to new planet and all of them are not interstellar. It may be a brown dwarf, with four planets, or an ice giant with four moons, but i think the way alien is located under the central plant shows that its a rocky planet with four moons. We will probably find alien cities there, but I don't think we will be able to interact with living aliens.

uxWNk1O.png

Excellent analysis.  If we take that the series of dots we see is supposed to be a scale, option 1 and 2 both seem like reasonable estimates for a location. Assuming we don't get any further hints between now and release, I'm sure people are going to tear KSP 2 apart looking for files and parameters about the 8th planet, but looking at those orbital regions seems like a good start.

Another thing I noticed is that in the representation of the Kerbol system, all of the planets are depicted using positive bits, while the depiction above the alien's head is a ring with a negative bit in the center. Perhaps the right hand side (above the kerbal), is showing the planetary system, and the left is something related to the arc we see on the Mun?  I can also see it to just being a way to 'zoom' in on the central body from the other diagram.

7 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Perhaps each mun arch depicts an explorable system, and they only revealed the kerbal's one.

I believe the devs confirmed that there would be two new star systems? (which totals three, counting Kerbol)

51 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Are they? I thought that color coding was done by someone posting their analysis, and wasn't present in the original message 

that is correct, they weren't color-codecd at first, someone did it as a way to clarify their analysis
(edit: the original message wasn't even an image, it was an audio signal that codified the image in bits, so they could only codify whether the bit was on or off)

Edited by junovzla

32 minutes ago, junovzla said:

I believe the devs confirmed that there would be two new star systems? (which totals three, counting Kerbol)

that is correct, they weren't color-codecd at first, someone did it as a way to clarify their analysis
(edit: the original message wasn't even an image, it was an audio signal that codified the image in bits, so they could only codify whether the bit was on or off)

2 but not when they launch pre release aparently.

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

Are they? I thought that color coding was done by someone posting their analysis, and wasn't present in the original message 

I haven't been able to find anything in the signal that can be interpreted as a color. It seems to be just a binary encoding, with each pixel being either on or off.

2 hours ago, junovzla said:

Source?

*Edit* there are only 3 mun arches, so that lines up */edit*

I don't remember the exact phrasing. I thought there would be more than 2 new ones, but that 2 new ones would be introduced first along with interstellar travel, not ruling out future additions

2 hours ago, junovzla said:

the original message wasn't even an image, it was an audio signal that codified the image in bits, so they could only codify whether the bit was on or off

Yes, I am aware that it was an audio signal. It would take a lot more to encode more than on/off, so color is unlikely.

Anyway, we agree the color coding presented in this thread is not evidence of anything 

Edited by KerikBalm

1 minute ago, KerikBalm said:

It would take a lot more to encode more than on/off, so color is unlikely.

You can actually encode color in audio using SSTV. You do this the same way that you encode color in a regular TV signal. I believe, the Duna signal is an SSTV, though, I don't think they encoded color in that one.

The signal used in KSP2 preview videos is different, though. The encoding also seems like a frequency modulation, but it makes use of the stereo channel, so that you always have a "pixel" going to either left or right side. That removes any ambiguity about the number of pulses, but also restricts it to pure on/off states, with left channel representing black pixels, and right channel representing white pixels. I guess, you could introduce a third color by having both left and right signals on, but I haven't seen that used.

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

IMO it should be totally unacceptable for KSP2 to have such physics exploits. KSP2 is a new potentially competitive multiplayer game, such hacks should be impossible. It should not be looked at as a single player only game. Just imagine if Starcraft2 or CounterStrike had such bugs.. that's the whole point of EA, to validate the base systems and fix any issues.

You get cheating in game, this is then patched. 
If not patched you get hilarious exploits like in KSP 1: the docking port drive,  the ladder drive and other drives using pressure. 
All the elder scroll games except online had hilarious exploits like in Skyrim telling an follower to pick up an item and then pass trough an loading door before they reached it would result in the item was still outside the door and the follower had an copy. 
And in all games its was tricks to get almost infinite power. 
Elder Scroll Online is an MMO and have avoided this as not having exploits was an priority and the game is much less sandbox than the others.  People has still exploited stuff usually new features or new bugs. 
Downside of this is that you looses some fun stuff in the process. 

I'm always a sucker for these mysterious secret messages left by developers.
One idea I have:

1. Top row is likely just to establish the message's image width for decoding, no big deal.
2. Kerbal system with a rocket shown launching from Kerbin, easy - but here's where I put on the tinfoil hat - the rocket could be an interstellar torchship. The shape of the plume made me think of all the times they have shown the torchship in their videos.
3. The kraken is seen destroying the ship and you could leave the interpretation at that... BUT... this could also represent the idea of using high speed time warp (which is now possible in KSP2)
4. So while risking the wrath of the kraken - the ship travels 22 [units of something] to a destination - my theory is that these units could represent light years.
5. The line then points to the centre of a 5-body system of some kind. Time to add another tinfoil hat - the left symbol is the same shape as Kerbol star but with a hollow centre. This means one thing to me - a black hole. Therefore, I theorize that this is a quintuple star system with a black hole at its centre and if we travel to this place, perhaps in orbit around the black hole, we will discover the ancient kraken race.

/tinfoil

I know it's far fetched, but it would be an amazing challenge to discover if true :lol:

5 minutes ago, selbie said:

I'm always a sucker for these mysterious secret messages left by developers.
One idea I have:

1. Top row is likely just to establish the message's image width for decoding, no big deal.
2. Kerbal system with a rocket shown launching from Kerbin, easy - but here's where I put on the tinfoil hat - the rocket could be an interstellar torchship. The shape of the plume made me think of all the times they have shown the torchship in their videos.
3. The kraken is seen destroying the ship and you could leave the interpretation at that... BUT... this could also represent the idea of using high speed time warp (which is now possible in KSP2)
4. So while risking the wrath of the kraken - the ship travels 22 [units of something] to a destination - my theory is that these units could represent light years.
5. The line then points to the centre of a 5-body system of some kind. Time to add another tinfoil hat - the left symbol is the same shape as Kerbol star but with a hollow centre. This means one thing to me - a black hole. Therefore, I theorize that this is a quintuple star system with a black hole at its centre and if we travel to this place, perhaps in orbit around the black hole, we will discover the ancient kraken race.

/tinfoil

I know it's far fetched, but it would be an amazing challenge to discover if true :lol:

I understand the appeal but usually the message has less content than what people try to see. It is inherent of a message without a clear code that it can and will be identified in so many ways that people probably will write an odyssey about it.

14 minutes ago, selbie said:

the left symbol is the same shape as Kerbol star but with a hollow centre. This means one thing to me - a black hole. Therefore, I theorize that this is a quintuple star system with a black hole at its centre

Y'know, you might be onto something there. If you skip to 5:20 in the new feature video you can see a binary pulsar and star.

9 minutes ago, tstein said:

I understand the appeal but usually the message has less content than what people try to see. It is inherent of a message without a clear code that it can and will be identified in so many ways that people probably will write an odyssey about it.

The fun inherent in a puzzle is to unravel the odyssey encoded within :)

The original arecibo message contains a lot of information condensed into a small pixel image so it stands to reason that any theory with a sliver of logic is valid until we find the true meaning of it.

Look, there are 2 separate messages, this must be accounted for.

The first appears to obviously have been sent by kerbal's, with a reference to the kraken of KSP1 (it's humor, ok). It's not from aliens, it shows Kerbin. It's not from aliens 

The second, depicting 2 species, is the response 

Edited by KerikBalm

Perhaps the two lines of dots represent the limit between the two messages, the bottom one is for calibrating... Has anyone tried to decipher the second message (starting with the 22 dots), using the 22 dots to calibrate?

6 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Perhaps the two lines of dots represent the limit between the two messages, the bottom one is for calibrating... Has anyone tried to decipher the second message (starting with the 22 dots), using the 22 dots to calibrate?

I just tried mocking that up but it looks like gibberish. There's also that all-black row bifurcating the dots, which you'd need to disregard in order to put all the dots on the same row, so I don't think that's right

5 hours ago, yoarebignoob said:

guys the 2 rows of dots symbolize transmission end/start :skull:

Then why there are a lines that lead to and from these rows, one at the left and one at the right. The lone could go down through the image at leftnside. Then the last row is incomplete. And there isn't any end of transmission at the bottom of an image.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:58 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

Also, my thoughts:

K6FlObi.png

I think that the black star looks like the black hole is sucking matter from the sun like in this image.

On 1/11/2023 at 4:20 PM, Vl3d said:

And here you go, this is where we find the aliens: the system with 2 stars (or 1 black hole and 1 bigger star), one eating the other.

ghf2UJh.png

[snip]

By the way - if an alien civilization ever gets our Aricebo message... They will never find us. 

According to the message we are in a system with 9 planets

Since we downgraded Pluto - anyone looking here will only count 8 and pass us by!

(originally posted in the wrong thread

11 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

By the way - if an alien civilization ever gets our Aricebo message... They will never find us. 

According to the message we are in a system with 9 planets

Since we downgraded Pluto - anyone looking here will only count 8 and pass us by!

(originally posted in the wrong thread

We had better use Arecibo to send an updated messa... oh... oh

6 hours ago, Luriss said:

Y'know, you might be onto something there. If you skip to 5:20 in the new feature video you can see a binary pulsar and star.

Not necessarily a pulsar. The accreting star could either be a white dwarf or neutron star, and then if it is a particularly fast rotating neutron star, then it could be a pulsar. One thing to note is that the camera is either really close to its binary companion or the two stars are orbiting ridiculously close together (even in the kerbal scale). In this second case, the two bodies could be at their closest point in a several year orbit or could be constantly at that distance, with orbital periods of a few hours or days. Regardless of this, the amount of matter that the smaller object is consuming will lead to a type 1a supernova if it is a white dwarf and potentially a black hole forming if it is a neutron star. Both of these are one-time non repeatable events, so if they are in the game, I wonder how they will be handled. 

The alternative is that they are not in the game and we are making wild hypotheses about one of the many artistic depictions of this exact scenario that you can find by looking up “binary star system.” Having space imagery can probably help with composing music about space…