Planet 8 Discussion

GoldForest

If Planet 8 is real, what do you think it is?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. If Planet 8 is real, what do you think it is?

• A Rock Planet (Like Earth)
    • A Super Earth
    • Gas Giant (Saturn analog)
    • Nuptune planet (Giant ice world)
    • Dwarf Planet (Pluto)
    • Kerbol's Binary Brother/Sister Star (Sol Nemesis theory)
    • A Captured Rogue Planet that escaped from the Deb Deb System

If anyone remembers or has read the wiki, there was a concept for a planet 'Mez' that would be like a super-Haumea. That's an interesting possibility. If another distant planet is added my bank is on an icy super-earth or mini-neptune, perhaps as an analogue to the fabled 'Planet 9.'

27 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

"celestial secrets to uncover" Could just be anomalies, but the specific use of the word celestial to refer to the secrets does make me think it's about a planet.

This sort of sentence uses the word "celestial" to describe things on other planets, not necessarily a planet itself.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:38 AM, GoldForest said:

Nah, Gas Planet 2 would give us more moons. I'd rather have a gas giant with more moons than one single planet with a single moon. Besides, if they add rings to GP2, it will make it much more difficult to navigate. Tons of stuff they could do with a new gas giant. 

Eve has high gravity, so we don't really need a high gravity, though high gravity comes with super earth territory. 

Isn't the ringed gas giant already covered by Glumo

7 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

Isn't the ringed gas giant already covered by Glumo

Glumo is not in the Kerboler System though. This discussion is about planet 8 in the Kerboler system, not Deb Deb or To Be Announced. 

46 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

This sort of sentence uses the word "celestial" to describe things on other planets, not necessarily a planet itself.

I do know that, and it's entirely possible that's the intended meaning, I'm just saying... when I think of celestial things, it's not the things that are on the planets, it's the planets themselves, if that makes sense.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:38 AM, GoldForest said:

Nah, Gas Planet 2 would give us more moons.

I'd really like this, but considering how stripped down the day-1 early access version will be, I doubt the KSP2 will have had extra time to add a whole gas giant system with multiple moons.

A single planet would make sense though.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Catto said:

Interstellar, alien technology. 

That's no moon, it's an interstellar portal! with some research, we may be able to unlock the secrets it holds.

Not sure if you're being serious or joking.

If serious, then this is not possible. Intercept said no wormholes, teleports, or any other 'magic' technology. 

Some content has been removed.    If you see a post that violates our community guidelines, please just report it.   Pointing out others’ rude behavior only causes them to focus it on you.    Let us take the heat.    Thanks.  

On 1/12/2023 at 10:48 AM, GoldForest said:

I mean, look at the Nemesis theory, which by the way holds LOTS of evidence. Most star systems are binary star systems, so where's our second star? The common theory is that it's orbit is so big that we won't ever see it until it's right next to Pluto. 

Hypotheses, not theory and there is no evidence.  Only 1/3 of the star systems are multiple star systems and the other 2/3 are single stars. Most stars are in multiple star systems. That is not the same as most systems are multiple star systems :))

Edit: Thats not even true what I said. Most stars are probably single stars. Impossible to know because we cannot see alot of the red dwarfs. 

Edited by dave1904

46 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Can't be an asteroid belt. It was one object. 

I don't think the object referred to is actually another planet, but maybe a different star system and the kerbals might be under the impression the star orbits theirs (heliocentrism model). Perhaps it is a planet but I'll be the contrarian today :P

Edited by mcwaffles2003

5 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I don't think the object referred to is actually another planet, but maybe a different star system and the kerbals might be under the impression the star orbits theirs (heliocentrism model). Perhaps it is a planet but I'll be the contrarian today :P

An entire star system that orbits Kerbol right beside Eeloo? Also, this wasn't an animation, this was from a shot of the map view. 

I wish I had that screenshot... can't remember what episode it was from. 

Edited by GoldForest

9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

An entire star system that orbits Kerbol right beside Eeloo? Also, this wasn't an animation, this was from a shot of the map view. 

I wish I had that screenshot... can't remember what episode it was from. 

The only allusion to planet 8 I've ever seen was from episode 3 below, but episode 5 shows only 7 planets:

pkiZEK4.png

So I don't think they're adding planets to the Kerbolar system but instead I think the forums took the bottom picture on a bunch of reasonable, but in my opinion incorrect, theories. I think the bottom picture is the kerbals finding out about another system or an exoplanet and being stuck in the heliocentric model (which the KSP 1 model holds true) so the clip is them wondering if that unknown object is orbiting them cause they haven't conceived the notion that objects can orbit other systems yet. 

57 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

The only allusion to planet 8 I've ever seen was from episode 3 below, but episode 5 shows only 7 planets:

pkiZEK4.png

So I don't think they're adding planets to the Kerbolar system but instead I think the forums took the bottom picture on a bunch of reasonable, but in my opinion incorrect, theories. I think the bottom picture is the kerbals finding out about another system or an exoplanet and being stuck in the heliocentric model (which the KSP 1 model holds true) so the clip is them wondering if that unknown object is orbiting them cause they haven't conceived the notion that objects can orbit other systems yet. 

Those aren't the screenshots I'm talking about. On one of the devs monitors, he's in game in the map view and we see Eeloo and an object in an orbit outside Eeloo's orbit, so I'm asking the community what they think it might be.

14 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Not sure if you're being serious or joking.

If serious, then this is not possible. Intercept said no wormholes, teleports, or any other 'magic' technology. 

maybe just some lore potential then?

like something similar to the broken arches?

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Those aren't the screenshots I'm talking about. On one of the devs monitors, he's in game in the map view and we see Eeloo and an object in an orbit outside Eeloo's orbit, so I'm asking the community what they think it might be.

I've been looking and cant find it either. 

Also does anyone else think this guy:
Xp4TGOD.png

...is giving this guy?
key-and-peele-substitute-teacher-sketch.