Intercept Games Official Discord is Now Live!

Ghostii_Space

10 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Desperately needs slow mode and restriction of the @everyone tag, it's a circus in there at the moment. 

That's naturally what happens when you show a discord invite to such a massive community without first testing everything that could possibly go wrong :)

Edited by Bej Kerman

1 hour ago, AtomicTech said:

Fingers crossed that this awesome server doesn't become like a number of the other KSP YT servers (looking at you Matt Lowne and Piolet1549).

Without being on those servers, may I ask what's wrong with them?

1 hour ago, Snafu225 said:

Without being on those servers, may I ask what's wrong with them?

A lot of KSP Discord servers end up devolving into topics that are borderline and well within NSFW and topics not suitable for this forum.  Lowne's and Piolet's are widely regarded to be some of the most extreme ones in this group by the general community.  It is, however, important to note that servers like this are not the only kinds of KSP Discord servers.  Many content creators and groups have their own, much better moderated servers.

Imagine a room with several hundred people each having their own conversation, sometimes joining in with a larger conversation that the whole room is having, while in the meantime you have a handful of the most annoying loudmouth people you can imagine running around interjecting the most frivolous and useless thing into every possible conversation that they can muster. 
Welcome to Discord!

Whether it be IRC, Discord, or whatever, any real time chat goes down the drain if the community gets beyond a certain size. No amount of moderation can help it. 

On 1/17/2023 at 4:08 PM, Entropian said:

A lot of KSP Discord servers end up devolving into topics that are borderline and well within NSFW and topics not suitable for this forum.  Lowne's and Piolet's are widely regarded to be some of the most extreme ones in this group by the general community.  It is, however, important to note that servers like this are not the only kinds of KSP Discord servers.  Many content creators and groups have their own, much better moderated servers.

That's definitely true!

I'm not active on Scott Manley's server but I know that it's a really well-moderated and populated server.

I've been active-ish on Piolets since Feb. 2021 and it wasn't always that way. The first and second generation of members were great! The third, fourth, and I think we're moving into the fifth have been subsequently worse. I'm still a member, just because I've been there for so long.

(Update: Left it for good!)

Edited by AtomicTech

12 hours ago, jebycheek said:

Just Curious Why Everybody so rejecting about this?:huh:

I can't speak for everybody, but I personally hate when the only interaction between me and other players of a game is anything other than a privately run forum.

All the games I play, only one still does it and that game is KSP. If this is the first step to closing these forums I'll likely stop participating in the community, which would make me pretty sad.

Why not just go to Discord if the forum shuts down or becomes a shell of its former self? Because Discord is a CHAT ROOM. For CHATTING. It's not fundamentally built from the ground up for documenting, storing, searching for, and discussing content.

(I know Discord has forum-like features. Let me know when they grant the above and I'll change my mind)

56 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I can't speak for everybody, but I personally hate when the only interaction between me and other players of a game is anything other than a privately run forum.

All the games I play, only one still does it and that game is KSP. If this is the first step to closing these forums I'll likely stop participating in the community, which would make me pretty sad.

Not only that, but the forum works perfectly fine online, which cannot be said of the other places. Now I need discord for KSP. A couple of podcast communities "demand" that I sign up for Slack. Another one is on Mastodon, I've had games where the "community" was a Skype chat channel, on so on.

And I agree that Discord only offers tweet-like interactions. There's no room for Emiko Station or a long discussion if it was realistic to assume the Mun  arches were natural formations, which is what makes the forum so much richer.

3 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Why not just go to Discord if the forum shuts down or becomes a shell of its former self? Because Discord is a CHAT ROOM. For CHATTING. It's not fundamentally built from the ground up for documenting, storing, searching for, and discussing content.

(I know Discord has forum-like features. Let me know when they grant the above and I'll change my mind)

Keep the forums alive!

Edited by AtomicTech
Oops.

4 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Fingers crossed that it stays that way :)

Where am I supposed to get my mods? :D That seems really old school and inefficient but the forums is pretty much the only place I browse for mods and download them. Ckan is nice and all, but only if you know what you need/want and even then it often feels out of date.  

Not a chance they'd shut the forums. No business sense in alienating the existing community. It may not be as large as it was, but there's quite a few of us on here still for such an old game. Many of us who remain are pretty valuable to intercept, too. Maybe not me, but folks like blackrack and linuxgurugamer for sure, among others. Just those two alone are probably worth the cost of hosting and moderating the forum and they're far from the only ones.

Having a discord channel is like page one of the "how to sell an indie game in 2023" playbook. Not a chance in hell they wouldn't do it. Besides, there's probably a lot of players out there who use discord but are averse to signing up for another web service. Obviously you're not signing your life away for KSPforums like you are for, say, facebook, but the modern web landscape has given people a certain tendency toward caution and familiarity, and the people are familiar with discord. You can see this sort of thing happening already on steam. There are people who post in the community tab there and get craft files from the workshop and never interact with the forums, kerbalx, or spacedock.

Edited by Zacspace