Mission of Gravioli II: "Voyage" of the Kree | Mostly Stock Mission to Mesbin's North Pole again!

Watermel00n

1. Out of the Ditch

So you might be thinking: "are you going to use the same vehicle" No. The answer is no. The first vehicle was trash. So, I designed a new vehicle.

zyWcqFd.png

BEHOLD, THE KREE!

Clocking in at just over 105 tons, this is possibly the biggest vehicle I've ever made. It has a blistering top speed of 25 m/s, and a rather large solar array for power. Notable mention, RTGs are included for emergency purposes. The entire vessel was basically designed to be a land raft, with replaceable sections and modular construction. This will allow me to basically build-as-I go, so I can add or destroy any modules I want.

But how to launch? Mesbin Space Center is basically in a ditch, with tall hills surrounding it. Hills and the Kree do not mix.

vgKLsnZ.png

Well, I took inspiration from myself and built yet another launchable base.

TYSIXAN.png

Landed. It only took 3 tries! Note how the base has no drills - it has all the parts it needs!

378BbUl.png

Deploying the Kree.

C2MtXKl.png

Flag planted.

dlLn0K4.png

And off we go! I have MechJeb's Rover Autopilot, so I can get my sleepytimes on the long drives!

Good night!

Edited by Watermel00n
Yes, the craft is named after the Bree.

2. The Seven "Seas"

As you have seen by my last post, the Kree is now over 250 miles off course. However, we must press on!

ibNJAx1.png

Look how bashed up the wheels are. So I detached the front and back electric wheels. And now...

QtoZ8PI.png

Brand new wheels! yay. However, there are two problems with these wheels. The wheels are connected to a structural tube. If the tube breaks (it does it all the time) all the grip pads just fall onto the ground. Secondly, the new rotors eat up so much power, that I got worried that at night, the Kree might run out of power. So as you can see in the image posted below, I have built a RTG tower for extra power. Also, I have now connected the pads directly to the rotors.

bFpi1qI.png

ZTBiLvS.png

Flag for flag reasons

2vTfMkK.png

This strange ridge gave me a lot of problems crossing it. But I was able to get over this obstacle and continue on quite easily.

Edited by Watermel00n

• 2 weeks later...

3. From Hope to Hop

fP58a1g.png

After a short drive, I wanted to build some parts and turned on timewarp, but this had the side effect of causing my vessel to jump into the air, destroying 1 ISRU module, 1 solar array, and damaging another. Not to mention that all the radiators and wheels have been broken. I decided to leave the Kree behind and move to another location using...

x8XD6Ks.png

THE HOPPER!

A massive craft towering above the Kree, it has been constructed on the RTG tower to avoid it from clipping into the solar arrays.

w100aGi.png

After almost 100 days spent building and fueling the Hopper, the crew enter the MK3 Cabin at the top of the Hopper.

23BeUto.png

The 25 Vector engines light up and the Hopper slowly rises into the air, leaving the mangled mess of the Kree behind.

q3rkCHu.png

Looks like we brought a souvenir!

TZ5e97T.png

Staging the boosters behind. From now on the trip will be much harder.

fizhbWX.png

After almost 30 tries, the Hopper finally sets down at 16 degrees latitude in a cloud of smoke. The crew will use the rocket parts in the tanks to construct an ISRU unit and build a new rover.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.