SONIC BOOM SHOCKWAVE FX + SOUND

This is another idea I have for KSP 2. Sonic boom sounds and visuals. When something goes faster than sound, I think there should be a boom sound and a super sonic cone around the ship like these picturesF-35_with_double_vapor_cone,_2016_airshoAres1-X(28OCT2009).jpgFA-18_Hornet_breaking_sound_barrier_(7_JAs you can see, this also applies to rockets. I just think this is a cool idea, what do you guys think?

I also found a video that shows different instances of these ‘sonic cones’ with jets. 

1 hour ago, CytauriKerbal said:

This is another idea I have for KSP 2. Sonic boom sounds and visuals. When something goes faster than sound, I think there should be a boom sound and a super sonic cone around the ship like these picturesF-35_with_double_vapor_cone,_2016_airshoAres1-X(28OCT2009).jpgFA-18_Hornet_breaking_sound_barrier_(7_JAs you can see, this also applies to rockets. I just think this is a cool idea, what do you guys think?

I also found a video that shows different instances of these ‘sonic cones’ with jets. 

IIRC, a "sonic cone" effect is already present in KSP 1, albeit very limited and low-quality.

Also, please refrain from the "oversized typewriter text", and put each image and video into a labelled spoiler so it's easier to scroll through. For example...

Spoiler

... Like this.

3 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

IIRC, a "sonic cone" effect is already present in KSP 1, albeit very limited and low-quality.

Also, please refrain from the "oversized typewriter text", and put each image and video into a labelled spoiler so it's easier to scroll through. For example...

Reveal hidden contents

... Like this.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll stick to Arial from now on in a reasonable size. Also, to respond to the shock cone response, Yes, KSP 1 does have the shock cone like wave, but it is not nearly as pronounced and cone-like on the back and front of the craft as in real life. I’m just saying that it would be nice to have a dedicated supersonic fx then retexturing the exit and re-enter atmosphere fx. 

13 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

:huh:

[this is "huh", not "I am very angry". Sorry for any confusion!]

You know that weird white wind effect that covers your vehicle if it goes fast enough? It happens around breaking the sound barrier, actually.

Pretty sure that's meant to be the shock cone

On 1/15/2023 at 1:14 AM, CytauriKerbal said:

When something goes faster than sound, I think there should be a boom sound

Just a reminder that sonic booms don't just happen at the point the sound barrier is broken; they're generated constantly when a vehicle is over Mach 1. And they also wouldn't be heard by anyone in the vehicle since they're at the front of the Mach cone, and the sound in their wake can't reach them. In terms of gameplay, unless you had a camera sitting on the ground and did a flyby over it, hearing a sonic boom wouldn't be realistic.

12 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

Just a reminder that sonic booms don't just happen at the point the sound barrier is broken; they're generated constantly when a vehicle is over Mach 1. And they also wouldn't be heard by anyone in the vehicle since they're at the front of the Mach cone, and the sound in their wake can't reach them. In terms of gameplay, unless you had a camera sitting on the ground and did a flyby over it, hearing a sonic boom wouldn't be realistic.

Why are you speaking in comic sans?

You won't hear a sonic boom when in the plane. The only indicators that you passed the Mach barrier is the shock cone moves and the air speed indicator goes weird for a second. See the video below: 

I know, just saying that there could be a boom outside of the craft and even so KSP 2 could be a little unrealistic.

And camera mods will come out for KSP 2 which will allow you to hear a 'realistic' sonic boom.

2 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

You won't hear a sonic boom when in the plane. The only indicators that you passed the Mach barrier is the shock cone moves and the air speed indicator goes weird for a second. See the video below: 

2 hours ago, CytauriKerbal said:

I know, just saying that there could be a boom outside of the craft and even so KSP 2 could be a little unrealistic.

And camera mods will come out for KSP 2 which will allow you to hear a 'realistic' sonic boom.

It doesn't matter. You could hear it if you swing the camera through the shock cone, which can be demonstrated in MFS2020, and also if you used a flyby cam (that I sincerely hope KSP 2 gets for aerial stuff) or switched to another craft.

Thanks for letting me know. Yeah, the flyby cam would be nice. VI3d just informed me that in the trailer there are vapor cones. That is nice to see, but I am skeptical that they will add it in because, its a game trailer.

Edited by CytauriKerbal

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that exhaust clipping won't happen in KSP 2. I have seen some alpha footage that shows the plumes going through the floor and not adapting to the surface. I do like that there is some dust effects when landing.

• 5 weeks later...

This has been confirmed by the devs. Thank you so much developers for implementing this. You guys are awesome! It is most likely that they did not see this, but I am glad that they thought of details such as these.