Request for mod UI scaling for high resolution monitors

Krazy1

Hello. I just got a 4k (2160p) 28-inch monitor and several mods have very small text or buttons that are hard to use. I know... everyone cry for me. But I'm sure I'm not the only one that has/ will have 4K. 

The stock pause menu has a UI Scale slider that works for most stock things and some mods. I have it set at 160%.

Sorry if this is a duplicate or covered in mod threads. I thought it would be better to keep it all together. Maybe everyone can adopt a common framework?

Stock:

• The text and icons in the map view do not scale using the stock slider

@linuxgurugamer 

• Waypoint Manager: no scaling 
  • TAC Fuel Balancer: no scaling
  • Haystack Recontinued: no scaling, very small text
  • Better Load Save Game: no scaling
  • Quick GoTo: small icons but not too bad
  • [X] Science!: A mix of things...
    • the main window and Here and Now window text and button sizes scale with the stock slider but the button icons and tooltips don't scale
    • the mod's UI scaling slider set to maximum is just big enough for the main window experiment green/ yellow text 
    • the settings menu doesn't scale
    • the [X] Science Selected Object window in the tracking station does not scale. Maybe those could use the stock slider.

@Lisias 

• DOE/L: no scaling in the settings menu, but not used often. The Alt-RMB text overlay in flight does not scale (but neither does the stock text in the map view... so it's sort of consistent at least) 

@TriggerAu

• Kerbal Alarm Clock: The main window scales nicely with the stock slider, but the pop-up alarm windows do not scale. (I also mentioned in the KAC thread the sub-menus go off the screen to the right)
  • Transfer Window Planner: no scaling option
  • Alternate Resource Panel: no scaling option... really too small to use it. Also when using "replace stock resources app" the horizontal position is overlapping the enlarged stock icons. 

1yxC10p.png

@Papa_Joe

• Ship Manifest: No scaling, small text. Also cannot stretch the window horizontally- most other mods can, so maybe you could copy their code/ method?

@zer0Kerbal

• Precise Maneuver: the small menu that opens when you click the tray icon does not scale but it's not used very often. The Scale GUI slider in that menu makes the maneuver node window scale very well. 

@jrbudda

• KER: the menu that pops up when you click the tray icon does not scale (everything else does scale using the setting tab in the VAB/SPH)

So what DOES work well? 

@DMagicContracts Window+ is great. It has many options for scaling. The stock scaling is multiplied by the slider in the mod or stock scaling can be ignored.  

ew2VXFV.png

Edited by Krazy1
added KER

10 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

@Lisias 

• DOE/L: no scaling in the settings menu, but not used often. The Alt-RMB text overlay in flight does not scale (but neither does the stock text in the map view... so it's sort of consistent at least) 

You know, I just didn't thought about it… And the fix is shamefully easy, it's just a matter of multiplying the font size by a value published by KSP's API with the size multiplier (I forgot the name, but a quick search on the KSP's API will do the trick).

I will work on it. https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/DistantObject/issues/30

— — POST EDIT — — 

As a matter of fact… https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPe/issues/43

Edited by Lisias
as a matter of fact...

Stock:

• The text and icons in the map view do not scale using the stock slider

Get the mod:  4kSP_Expanded

• Waypoint Manager: no scaling 
  • TAC Fuel Balancer: no scaling
  • Haystack Recontinued: no scaling, very small text
  • Better Load Save Game: no scaling
  • Quick GoTo: small icons but not too bad
  • [X] Science!: A mix of things...
    • the main window and Here and Now window text and button sizes scale with the stock slider but the button icons and tooltips don't scale
    • the mod's UI scaling slider set to maximum is just big enough for the main window experiment green/ yellow text 
    • the settings menu doesn't scale
    • the [X] Science Selected Object window in the tracking station does not scale. Maybe those could use the stock slider.

Probably not going to happen, sorry.  These mods are a mishmash of different coding styles, and retrofitting scaling to them can be a nightmare, depending on how they are written.  I'll keep this in mind. some may be easier than others. There are probably others as well, I support about 280+ mods, and don't have time to go through all of them.

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Get the mod:  4kSP_Expanded

Very nice

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I support about 280+ mods

That's all? :blink: OK understood. If I get ambitious I might take a look. I've got electrical problems, no heat in my bedroom so "I suppose" I should work on that first...

17 hours ago, Lisias said:

I will work on it

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.