[0.25-1.12.5] KSP Memories

linuxgurugamer

In September, 2014 I was browsing Twitch, and came across this streamer (I don't remember who) landing some large vehicle on a red planet.  The parachutes didn't make sense, so I asked a question about it.

I purchased KSP from the Squad store a few days later, version 0.25

And so started my journey into the KSP universe.  Being a space baby (I grew up during the space race), I was fascinated with the game.  I actually learned a lot of knowledge, stuff which I knew intellectually, but when putting into action was much harder than expected, such as orbital mechanics.  Such an unobvious way for things to work.

After a while, I saw people talking about how many hours they had played, and wanted the same thing for myself.   The mod TotalTime, my first, was written and released.

And so started my journey down the rabbit hole of modding.

I’ve written mods, and after a while, started adopting mods which I was using, but which were abandoned by the original authors

My adoption activity was very intensive for a while, but has obviously slacked off recently.  While there are still mods being written for KSP, there aren’t that many, and those which were adoptable (useful and license allows), have been mostly adopted both by myself and others.

The mods that I’ve written are mostly code-based, (last count was more than 30), the total number of mods including adoption that I’m supporting is more than 286. 

In earlier version of KSP, when certain release would come out, I would have to spend days or weeks fixing mods which were broken by the release.

At this point, I’m mostly working on bug fixes, although I did just adopt another mod (Decoupler Shrouds) because I needed to get it updated to support Universal Storage 2.

I don’t expect to stop, but I am going to take a bit of a step back for a little bit.  I am looking forward to KSP 2, both playing it and learning how to mod it.  The modding is going to be very different than KSP 1, although no information has been released at this time.

It’s been a fun 8+ years for me, and I’m looking forward to more as time goes on.  The KSP 2 roadmap is very exciting to view, I can only hope that the game fulfils all of our desires

I would also like to thank all of you who have supported me both on Patreon and on Twitch.  While I can’t live on it, the support has been helpful keeping me motivated over the years

LinuxGuruGamer

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

16 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Where is the affection for the 0.7 - 0.17 and 0.18 - 0.21 eras? :D

I started playing in 0.17, spent a lot of time goofing around kerbin and mun, delightedly playing with NovaPunch and KWRocketry and other relatively early but amazing mods. Nowadays I open KSP from time to time, build a plane or two, launch a rocket or two and go back to doing other stuff. I'm quite excited for KSP2 as I'm hoping it may have that exciting, novel feel early KSP had 

Thank you for what you have done for this community! You are truly a legend. I personally started playing KSP around 0.25 era and only have the privilege and energy of reviving 2 or 3 mods. 286 is just, godlike, and I cannot express how much grateful I am.

Live long and prosper sir.

On 1/23/2023 at 1:46 PM, Mahnarch said:

Thank you, LG!

I learned a lot of mods because of you and I would like to start making mods but, everything I can think of has already been made. :D

Plus, I'd have to learn how. lol.

Modding is a labor of love.  Pick something that you want to change, doesn't matter if it's already been done.  Work on it, you will learn, and maybe have a different/better implementation of the idea if it already existed.  Start small, then work your way up

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2023 at 5:23 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

when certain release would come out

Oh I remember when KSP 1.6 changed the Unity version breaking 90% of all mods. You made a poll so we can choose which mods are priorities and created a topic showing all of them, their updates and your progress daily.

Everyone can learn to code but those professionalism standards are what made you an inspiration for all of us.

Thank you LGG.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:17 PM, airtrafficcontroller said:

Oh I remember when KSP 1.6 changed the Unity version breaking 90% of all mods.

It was KSP 1.4.0 :)

they jumped from Unity 5 to 2017.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.