HELP!: laptop monitor issues

duckunlimited2

I actually think that I should post this topic in a computer forum instead of a space sim forum but there is an off-topic section for a reason and i believe the expertise and talent pool is sufficient enough.

So a few hours ago when I went to boot up my laptop, my screen did not successfully boot up with my computer. It didn't show the windows boot up animation and the following...erm... "choose a user screen", desktop-like...thingy........place, thing. Err. Yeah it didn't show any startup animations but I knew it successfully booted up because it played that characteristic winodws boot-up sound. I tried restarting my computer but that didn't work. So to better diagnose what was wrong, I plugged my tv via hdmi cables to my laptop and I am able to see things with the tv monitor. I went to the hardware manager and checked the laptop screen and it said it was working properly, which obviously it wasn't. I think my computer screen is damaged somehow. I brought it to school with me today and I accidentally bumped my bag into another person. Wasn't super hard but it was moderate. No visible damage can be seen anywhere on my laptop. It just refuses to display anything. Now it isn't a completely black screen. On startup it flashes grey then a whiter grey, then it settles in a grey screen. So there is some light coming from it.

So do you think my monitor is damaged, or is it a software glitch. Should I get it checked out at a pc repair place?

Oh, don't know if this would help but my screen is an LCD. My computer model is a toshiba satellite a665.

That seems like a very nifty guide sal linked; I'd suggest going with that as your first attempt. The most likely explanation is just a loose cable. Though the guide doesn't specify which screws are used. You might run into a few Torx screws, as they're quite common in electronics.

The last thing that i want to do is do surgery on my laptop. Its a scary proposition to me and looking at that guide, it appears it takes alot of taking apart just to get the monitor. However, on the third page there is a link that just shows how to get to the screen. I might do that and see if a loose cable is there. If not, ill take it to the shop thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.