the last days of KSP 1

Microgravity Mischief

Nice videos and cool execution!
And congrats on discovering VSSTOs or Vertical take-off, single stage to orbit crafts.

The main trick of jet engines and wings compared to rockets wihtout wings  is that they allow for flight with a TWR below 1.  Now, if you aim for a TWR of greater than 1 with rapiers, you need many more 2 ton engines for take-off than with wings and a horizontal take-off. For the latter mode, a TWR of 0.3 - 0.4 is more than sufficient.

Rapiers are excellent in the supersonic regime and far outclass panthers and whiplashs at higher mach speeds. At a velocity near zero, they are suboptimal. 2 tons of Rapier engines give you 105kN of thrust (but 465.64 kN at Mach 3.75). A Panther gives you 85 kN of thrust for 1.2 tons, which is better per kilogramm than the rapier. And this is in dry mode. If you use the Panther in wet mode, you get 135 kN for 1.2 tons of engine. Toggling between wet and dry mode is almost instantly, which saves you the spool up and down time of jet engines.

So, maybe replacing some of the Rapiers with Panthers will allow for better control at take-off and landing for less mass without losing much performance in the higher velocity ranges.

Anyways, cool video. I am looking forward to more content from you.

P.S.:
That was my take on an VSSTO:
https://kerbalx.com/Mephisto/XV-01-Atlantian-VSSTO

I like it, you have a really cool design!!!!!  nice page layout also!     I did tinker with other engines.... but i I couldnt get it to orbit as easily.....  the passenger version is much lighter than the cargo...  I really like the XL size or yours.  Im working on another video project now but when im done I think im gonna go back to the drawing board and try to increase the size so that it can carry more weight to and from orbit.  as KSP 2 releases the colonization package to the game and we can automate our transport of resources it might end up being beneficial, that is if money is an issue, going for total reuse will make a difference.  Thanks for taking a peak!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.