KSP2 Sneakpeeks

Dakota

6 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You're getting at what, exactly?

The screenshots are right here in this thread.

Where does the information come from, how everything is arranged in KSP2? I am a little outraged by the criticism of KSP1 that something is done crookedly there, but in a game that has not yet been released, everything is done correctly. Maybe it's done in the same manner, just better and prettier.

Just now, Alexoff said:

Where does the information come from, how everything is arranged in KSP2? I am a little outraged by the criticism of KSP1 that something is done crookedly there, but in a game that has not yet been released, everything is done correctly. 

I don't understand what there is to be outraged about. KSP 1 just overlays the interior over where the windows are, even if the "windows" are behind other structures. KSP 2 makes the windows act as windows.

1 minute ago, Alexoff said:

Maybe it's done in the same manner, just better and prettier.

The devs haven't said anything on implementing an overlay that ignores what's in front of it. They have said stuff about implementing windows, which we can see in the screenshots.

Not to mention if it was an overlay effect, then the transparency of the window models would be ignored.

Don't get me wrong, I think this looks amazing! But the surface texture is still pixely which doesn't even look that bad because it kinda looks 3D and the ground texture structure is worlds better than completly flat colored surfaces. The Kerbal seems to be floating..? But still Launch T-10 days, so excited!

Edited by Datau03

16 minutes ago, PD_Dakota said:

GCuqcL3.jpg

Back to beta, eh?  No matter, it still looks superb! Hype levels climbing exponentially!

12 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

If you don't count those boulders in the background...

And KSP had one pebble per square mile so..

Plus it's the Mun.  It's supposed to represent our moon, and our moon doesn't have rocks all over the place.  This scatter density looks very realistic and miles (lol) better than KSP1.

32 minutes ago, PD_Dakota said:

GCuqcL3.jpg

Pretty. Shadows are expensive to do 'right' so I'm not really bothered by the 'close enough' slightly floaty ones. The Suit looks great, and the ground texture only looks bad when you really lean in and squint, I'm not usually playing KSP with the camera shoved in the dirt so I doubt I'll notice most of the time. Although I'm not blind to the clever angling to hide draw distance :P

What are the odds we can see a space station next? Not a colony, but just someones orbital station, lit up, maybe in the shadows. A large ship works too, just wanna see some of that lighting on ships again

17 minutes ago, PD_Dakota said:

duwJAsQ.jpg

Ooh, now that is a beauty, I am glad I asked for it. There's something about the lighting and shadows that just looks a lot better than KSP1 for me. I am definitely going to have to get used to the new UI - I alternate between worrying about font readability and figuring 'I'll get used to it. Rest is probably personal pref.

7 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

If you look at the Vessel Actions tab, you can see that they've added a solar panel toggle, so it doesn't need to be done from AG!

That'll be really nice, wonder if we will have the same for antennas? Hunting down the four pixels while the ships shaking from a burn so you can turn it on before your always-on ground antenna gets out of range can be a pain. I know its not there right now but might be a dynamic thing that only shows up when the part is relevant.

Just now, Profugo Barbatus said:

That'll be really nice, wonder if we will have the same for antennas? Hunting down the four pixels while the ships shaking from a burn so you can turn it on before your always-on ground antenna gets out of range can be a pain. I know its not there right now but might be a dynamic thing that only shows up when the part is relevant.

KSP 2 also has a part manager that lets you bring up a part's properties without needing to click on the vessel, but we'll see.

Just now, Profugo Barbatus said:

I am definitely going to have to get used to the new UI - I alternate between worrying about font readability and figuring 'I'll get used to it.

Agreed it will take some adjustment.  In general, though, it's not a bad layout and more modernized.  One thing I notice is the size, color, and opacity of the maneuver markers.  I think they could do with a bit more vibrancy to make them stand out against the navball.  For folks like myself who are slightly colorblind, it's hard to distinguish the light green retrograde marker from the background.

1 hour ago, PD_Dakota said:

duwJAsQ.jpg

I really like the overall feel of the new controls and I super appreciate orbit information on the main screen but that throttle is ridiculous, is there any way to suppress that? There's also tons of extra space around the edges of the navball to place the atmosphere pressure and climb rate indicators too, just a lot of wasted space.

13 minutes ago, regex said:

There's also tons of extra space around the edges of the navball to place the atmosphere pressure and climb rate indicators too, just a lot of wasted space.

Oh GOODNESS no. This is precisely what made the KSP 1 UI such a mess, scattering anything and everything to fill the sides of the screen. The entire purpose of putting everything in one corner is so that your eyes don't have to dart around for readouts. Sometimes leaving empty space is a good thing! Negative space is sometimes just as much a UI element as the UI itself!

Please pardon the misread. I recognise you said "navball" and not "screen" now. Still, an illustration would help define what you mean by "edges of the navall" seeing as the atmo and climb readouts are already there.

Atmo pressure, I can half-understand. Climb rate, it's perfectly fine there. Right next to the navball like it is in an airliner.

Edited by Bej Kerman

2 hours ago, PD_Dakota said:

duwJAsQ.jpg

HOLY CRAP this is SO MUCH BETTER THAN KSP1!!

I think that there might be a little too much stuff around the navball, though, and maybe too many separate panels that could be joined for a less cluttered look (like in the bottom right corner). Also, it might be nice if there were tooltips for the elements if you hovered over them- it's not immediately clear, especially to a new player, what everything means.

Lastly, why backslashes in the top left corner? Pretty much everything other than Windows uses forward slashes, and they look better and make more sense (IMO). Also, a Windows user should be familiar with forward slashes from websites.

Can't wait to play, it looks awesome!!