KSP2 Sneakpeeks

Dakota

6 minutes ago, Brofessional said:

Interesting that the engine shows CH4 rather than generic "liquid fuel."

I like how it says "Ox" instead of "O2" considering we're using the correct chemical notation for methane.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Please pardon the misread. I recognise you said "navball" and not "screen" now. Still, an illustration would help define what you mean by "edges of the navall" seeing as the atmo and climb readouts are already there.

Extremely crappy edit below:

Spoiler

98AOzcH.jpg

Probably just me but the throttle has no business taking up an entire quadrant outside the navball.

17 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Methane + oxidizer is now the go-to fuel for the NASA-era rocketry in this game.

I find it interesting that jet engines now run on methane. I was sort of thinking a lore reason for it and thought maybe there isn't oil on Kerbin they have natural gas and maybe coal but no oil. Like maybe the conditions to form large amounts of oil never happened on Kerbin or the kerbals are to early in the history of life for large amounts of oil. (Maybe there was never dinosaurs on kerbin?)

It a interesting thought to think of how a space faring civilisation can develop without oil.

13 minutes ago, Lach_01298 said:

I find it interesting that jet engines now run on methane. I was sort of thinking a lore reason for it and thought maybe there isn't oil on Kerbin they have natural gas and maybe coal but no oil. Like maybe the conditions to form large amounts of oil never happened on Kerbin or the kerbals are to early in the history of life for large amounts of oil. (Maybe there was never dinosaurs on kerbin?)

It a interesting thought to think of how a space faring civilisation can develop without oil.

The lore reason is that Methane is an extremely flexible ISRU fuel option - its not quite optimal for atmospheric flight/launches, but its relatively simple to synthesis in site, and is making up the 'basic' tier of fuels for colonial production as far as we can tell. So its less about lack of availability, and more about a rare amount of foresight from the kerbals :P

3 minutes ago, Profugo Barbatus said:

The lore reason is that Methane is an extremely flexible ISRU fuel option - its not quite optimal for atmospheric flight/launches, but its relatively simple to synthesis in site, and is making up the 'basic' tier of fuels for colonial production as far as we can tell. So its less about lack of availability, and more about a rare amount of foresight from the kerbals :P

I know that is the gameplay reason. If the kerbals have the foresight to create methane jet engines knowing that they will colonise other planets and stars then they are a truly forward thinking species (if only we were).

11 minutes ago, Lach_01298 said:

I know that is the gameplay reason. If the kerbals have the foresight to create methane jet engines knowing that they will colonise other planets and stars then they are a truly forward thinking species (if only we were).

Or maybe Kerbin just has a lot of natural gas, and very little heavier hydrocarbons.

@PD_Dakota, in the latest sneak-peek, it seems that the UI introduces a new unit of distance measurement in Kelvin-Molarity... but I can't understand how that relates to distance.

JhQ42Ih.png

:D I jest, on the left we have the correct notation of m/s in lower case for metres per second but the incorrect notation of KM in upper case for kilometres. Might be worth unifying all unit cases to be in correct notation. 

For reference, if anyone is interested: https://ukma.org.uk/style-guide/

As an aside, say what you want about SpaceX, they sure do know how to make very clear and readable interfaces. Take the Dragon docking interface for example: https://iss-sim.spacex.com/ Its really easy to read and navigate.

Edited by Poodmund

1 minute ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Yeah but light still travels at 186,000 moholes per siglap, right? 

I'm not familiar with those units - is this in that weird kimperial system they use on the other side of the big pond?

Anyway, as every Kerbal knows, light (and comms signals, which are a kind of light) travels infinitely fast. And gravity stops at the SOI edge. 

On 1/27/2023 at 8:17 AM, TLTay said:

It's the expectation that a new game released in 2023 for new game pricing by a professional development team should look like it. If some modders can hack together code for a decade old game and make it look better than the new hotness... that is... ...unfortunate...

It's a perfectly valid gripe. You shouldn't have to take a step down graphically to play a newly released game just to satisfy the 750ti crowd.

aren't some of the people who modded ksp 1 on the ksp dev team? swear i saw something on youtube...

29 minutes ago, isamu said:

aren't some of the people who modded ksp 1 on the ksp dev team? swear i saw something on youtube...

Yes, notably @Nertea , of "Near Future" fame.  (Perhaps others, but that's the one I remember seeing most recently and was very excited about.  If Nertea's doing parts, they're gonna be purty.)

52 minutes ago, Yellowburn10 said:

It seems like in all the tomfoolery that was brought up by the specs announcement, we've looked over a recent sneak peak of an EVA of the previous station: https://discord.com/channels/1039959585949237268/1039972362117988353/1076189963953119242

Can you post it for people NOT on Discord? 

(it's trying to make me log in... and... Nope) 

On 1/26/2023 at 7:13 PM, Master39 said:

The more I look at that plane the more curios I get about those procedural wings and how control surfaces and fuel into wings are going to work.

About those controls surfaces, what wold be interesting, is the possibility to control the amount of surfaces, like roll and pitch. At the ESA event, what I was able to understand is that you can modify it's shape but not the amount of surfaces especific for each control