Speculation for why the latest screenshots of the KSP 2 look worse

Ryaja

20 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

People will explore with movie style graphics or voxel style pixels. Most people don't care about graphics, they care about gameplay. 

Look at the Earth Defense Force franchise. This B-movie style game is loved by all, or at least most, who play it. It doesn't have the best graphics in the world. Actually, it still looks like a late PS2 early PS3 game, but people love it because it's fun. It has the simplest concept in the world. Shoot the bad guys. There are no fancy missions, no top-of-the-line graphics and only until recently did it get an actual story behind it.  It's all just shoot the bugs and aliens. That's it. Every mission is kind of the same too, safe for a few boss battles sprinkled in. But still, it is loved.

As for new/improved game mechanics, do you really want to be spoiled before launch, so you have nothing to explore for yourself? We are 19 days away. 19! I don't know about you, but I'm fine with them not showing anything major. I want to see for myself all the new mechanics and planetary features.

(end of reply)

Also, I'd just like to point out something that everyone seems to keep forgetting... ahem... 

!!!KSP 2 IS EARLY ACCESS!!!

Seriously, everyone complaining about "The clouds don't look right" or "The graphics suck." or "Feature X, Y or Z doesn't look right!" is kind of getting a little annoying. It's early access guys. Things will improve. 

The game is not complete. It is not ready for prime time. 

Their MAIN focus right now is to get KSP 2 into a playable state so that they can test the under the hood coding and mechanics. A lot of stuff is not important to them right now. Play the game, send in bug reports, send in feedback, make suggestions. That's how you improve the game. Do that in 19 days.

How about getting some screenshot or videos with all the graphics systems turned on, maxed out and integrated into the game? Is that really so much to ask for?

Edited by Vl3d

Just now, Vl3d said:

How about getting some screenshot or videos with all the graphics systems integrated into the game? It's that really so much to ask for?

You think there's an "integrate" button somewhere that'll do all the magic quickly and effortlessly?

To answer your question, yeah, probably.

5 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

How about getting some screenshot or videos with all the graphics systems turned on, maxed out and integrated into the game? Is that really so much to ask for?

Would you rather them wow you now or at launch of EA?

Personally, I want them to keep using sub-par graphics for their screenshots. I want to experience the max settings for myself.

@GoldForest

I've pointed him multiple times to this quote: "---Continued performance improvements and visual updates" which is part of the EA plan but he has an astonishing ability to ignore the things I type that actually matter and gets hung up on some tangent, resulting in this everlasting loop this discussion is.

Edit: Instead it's expected that EA will launch will all the features and everything is polished and shiny and only top shelf graphics.

Edited by Snafu225
^

7 hours ago, p331083 said:

here we are about to release

There's your misperception.  They are not about to 'Release'.   The game is going into Early Access.

Spoiler

I've been an Alpha tester on one game and a Beta tester on a whole bunch and happily played several games during EA periods.  They all had bugs, needed efficiency improvements or had some kind of mechanic that was less than ideal - they weren't complete.  they were still in development.  I knew that going in. 

Especially with the Alpha and Beta testing - I got free access quite early to a title I was interested in and felt the Dev team was responsive to community feedback.  With the EA titles, while I had to pay for an incomplete game... they were upfront about it and I got a reduced price to play the game in the state it was in (or the choice to wait to buy / play until it was complete).  Times have changed - EA is much more common than years ago - and Intercept has been crystal clear about the fact that the game is not in the state they would consider a Release Candidate... but is also cognizant that we want access now.  So they're giving us access - with the caveat that it's not a final product.

So - you need to adjust your paradigm.  You are not being invited to pay money for a finished product.  You are offered a reduced price to play an unfinished game that is still in development.  Your choice.

Bitc - ahem - Kibitzing about it not being finished or having some other game level of graphics fidelity or MMORPG elements at this stage merely demonstrates that you don't understand what is going on.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

2VWXYnOWs_vCHW1fSTdyOxXqqsTXC6lVyffM9DMp

I'm concerned about the surface quality of the planets. If not for the design of the kerbal, I would have thought it was from KSP1 with a parts mod for the rover. I remember how in 2021 we were shown much more interesting planetary surfaces, with rocks and good resolution.

11 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

2VWXYnOWs_vCHW1fSTdyOxXqqsTXC6lVyffM9DMp

I'm concerned about the surface quality of the planets. If not for the design of the kerbal, I would have thought it was from KSP1 with a parts mod for the rover. I remember how in 2021 we were shown much more interesting planetary surfaces, with rocks and good resolution.

It's low resolution terrain, confirmed on the Discord. I would also like to see better shadows on the kerbal's face.

2 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

It's low resolution terrain, confirmed on the Discord. I would also like to see better shadows on the kerbal's face.

Low resolution terrain, low resolution shadows... Are there incompetent employees in the PR department or do they have to come up with excuses for the depressing technical state of the game?

30 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Low resolution terrain, low resolution shadows... Are there incompetent employees in the PR department or do they have to come up with excuses for the depressing technical state of the game?

Seems like it's just a random screenshot for a meme for the community, not really marketing.

18 hours ago, Alexoff said:

Or  they are much smaller office than you think and they do not even have a PR team dedicated. As for graphics, on my  time when I was in industry  I always ran the game with minimum grpahics while I was  developing any gameplay element to optimize load times. When you need to load a scene 90 times, every second counts. That means it is  very realistic to have developers running in low settings

6 hours ago, tstein said:

Or  they are much smaller office than you think and they do not even have a PR team dedicated. As for graphics, on my  time when I was in industry  I always ran the game with minimum grpahics while I was  developing any gameplay element to optimize load times. When you need to load a scene 90 times, every second counts. That means it is  very realistic to have developers running in low settings

What was the testing? Checking the ability to get out of the rover, move 30 meters away and then think? This explanation would have worked if the developer had shown the same place with the highest settings next, but this did not happen. Developers think that users should come up with excuses for them.

15 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

What was the testing? Checking the ability to get out of the rover, move 30 meters away and then think? This explanation would have worked if the developer had shown the same place with the highest settings next, but this did not happen. Developers think that users should come up with excuses for them.

Hey, that’s a great explanation for what that screenshot was about! It is almost as if a dev was working on kerbal animations or flag deployment and after doing what they needed to do with an old or low graphics build of the game, they saw that the shot looked nice and snapped a screenshot. After getting explicit confirmation that this dev was (a) just getting a screenshot and not worrying about PR and (b) not working on graphics so they probably don’t even have max settings to enable, it is kind of silly to expect them to go back in time and retake that photo on a different version of the game.  

14 minutes ago, t_v said:

Hey, that’s a great explanation for what that screenshot was about! It is almost as if a dev was working on kerbal animations or flag deployment and after doing what they needed to do with an old or low graphics build of the game, they saw that the shot looked nice and snapped a screenshot. After getting explicit confirmation that this dev was (a) just getting a screenshot and not worrying about PR and (b) not working on graphics so they probably don’t even have max settings to enable, it is kind of silly to expect them to go back in time and retake that photo on a different version of the game.  

Stop finding excuses @t_v. 4+ years of development is a long time.

34 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Oh absolutely. I'll be the first one to advocate for better graphics, and I think that KSP 2 definitely has the potential to look better. All I'm saying is that this:

image.png

means that the graphics were turned way down, and the person who took the screenshot was not worrying about them. So the level of graphics in that screenshot does not correspond to the level of graphics you can expect from medium or high settings. I just found it funny that @Alexoff's guess was actually reasonable:

1 hour ago, Alexoff said:

What was the testing? Checking the ability to get out of the rover, move 30 meters away and then think?

Developing the emote system is a valid thing to do after all, unless you think the game will be single player and not need those?

I am in no way "making excuses" for the level of graphics in that image, I was just mentioning that the graphics being low doesn't mean the game's overall graphics are low. I don't need to, since we already know why they are lower fidelity. We have already seen the high-resolution textures on other planets, being seriously concerned that Ike, specifically, will have vastly lower resolution seems a bit silly. 

27 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Isn't this a thread specifically opened to speculate about the reason of why the latest screenshots look worse?

Didn't an official source provide a plausible explanation for the terrain in that screenshot?

Hasn't someone said that the screenshots they're using are months old, also showing a folder of screenshots with some unreleased ones in the preview?

Didn't they talk about different builds in the hands of different members of the team since they started showing stuff years ago and weren't they consistent in repeating it?

Wasn't the problems with transferring builds among members of the team working from home stated to be one of the main problems that affected the development during the latest podcast interview?

How is possible that people making several posts a day constantly miss all the data that don't fit their narrative?

Just now, Master39 said:

Hasn't someone said that the screenshots they're using are months old, also showing a folder of screenshots with some unreleased ones in the preview?

To be fair, this screenshot is most likely recent, as it seems to have been a relatively casual process to put it into a meme. Which is absolutely fine by me. 

Overlooking data is a serious issue though. If you want to speculate about the upper end of graphics, look at some of the screenshots that haven't been confirmed to have low settings. I don't even understand why it would benefit someone to do that, since it just makes whatever point they're trying to make not applicable. 

Just now, t_v said:

To be fair, this screenshot is most likely recent

To be fair, how recent it is it's pure speculation, they said they've been using old screenshots, and this one doesn't have nothing in particular that wasn't already seen years ago. For all we know it could have been taken yesterday or 3 years ago.

30 minutes ago, Master39 said:

To be fair, how recent it is it's pure speculation, they said they've been using old screenshots, and this one doesn't have nothing in particular that wasn't already seen years ago. For all we know it could have been taken yesterday or 3 years ago.

And on February 24, we will receive the old build of the game, so you don’t have to worry about the quality of the game - in the future we will definitely get the 2023 build!

n1ByZ23InUA_NMfhXNRHl0Apd8pg6Reh2kfOaxUL

Here - there is no scattering, the explosion does not cast a shadow, which means that the explosion and fragments of the rocket are evil spirits!

4 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

And on February 24, we will receive the old build of the game, so you don’t have to worry about the quality of the game - in the future we will definitely get the 2023 build!

We will be getting the 2023 build of the game at EA. At least a January or early Febraury build. They're not going to give us a build from 2022. Not unless eveey 2023 build has been borked in some fashion. 

57 minutes ago, t_v said:

Oh absolutely. I'll be the first one to advocate for better graphics, and I think that KSP 2 definitely has the potential to look better. All I'm saying is that this:

image.png

means that the graphics were turned way down, and the person who took the screenshot was not worrying about them. So the level of graphics in that screenshot does not correspond to the level of graphics you can expect from medium or high settings. I just found it funny that @Alexoff's guess was actually reasonable:

Developing the emote system is a valid thing to do after all, unless you think the game will be single player and not need those?

I am in no way "making excuses" for the level of graphics in that image, I was just mentioning that the graphics being low doesn't mean the game's overall graphics are low. I don't need to, since we already know why they are lower fidelity. We have already seen the high-resolution textures on other planets, being seriously concerned that Ike, specifically, will have vastly lower resolution seems a bit silly. 

With this I wholeheartedly agree.

13 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

n1ByZ23InUA_NMfhXNRHl0Apd8pg6Reh2kfOaxUL

Here - there is no scattering, the explosion does not cast a shadow, which means that the explosion and fragments of the rocket are evil spirits!

Yeah but look at that volumetric explosion cloud.. it should cast a shadow it's true, but it should also be in the sky.

51 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

We will be getting the 2023 build of the game at EA. At least a January or early Febraury build. They're not going to give us a build from 2022. Not unless eveey 2023 build has been borked in some fashion. 

The 2022 builds are amazing, judging by the excitement of the fans. And that means their fans will get it. It's even better to get a pre-alpha version where there was scattering and more beautiful clouds and scatterers

Everyone here wants better graphics. And here I am, with a GTX 670 FTW, hoping they don't go overboard with the minimum requirements, because the GPU market is absolutely insane right now, and so is the economy of the country in which I live.

As far as I am concerned I hope they give as fancy graphics as you guys want, as long as they allow it to keep the low requirements....well....low.