Speculation for why the latest screenshots of the KSP 2 look worse

Ryaja

On 1/31/2023 at 6:47 PM, Mantarochen said:

My point isn't the textures looking bad

on the other hand, the textures do look bad. REAL bad. as I have posted before, it looks like they were injection molded into the game.

18 minutes ago, Fletch4 said:

on the other hand, the textures do look bad. REAL bad. as I have posted before, it looks like they were injection molded into the game.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. THe majority of us, I belive,  like the new part looks. 

Edited by GoldForest

Damn. That was fast. You have been paying attention to the threads, eh?

Just now, GoldForest said:

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. THe majority of us like the new part looks. 

I don't recommend speaking for large groups of people, as the forums are generally small compared to the overall player base. 

Think about it. Do you really want paint textures which look like they should reflect every bit of light they catch?

I see a lot of players who are fine with cutting corners because the game is "okay the way it is". The part designs look fine. The textures are definitely an issue, and it is something which can be easily fixed(from my limited knowledge of modeling in blender).

On 2/5/2023 at 1:46 PM, Brofessional said:

I'm less concerned about the graphics and more concerned about the framerate. Hopefully it's just old builds or the way they're recording, but it's not super encouraging to see all the promo videos running at like 20fps with low part-count ships.

This is especially noticeable every time a planet comes into view.

14 minutes ago, Fletch4 said:

Damn. That was fast. You have been paying attention to the threads, eh?

I don't recommend speaking for large groups of people, as the forums are generally small compared to the overall player base. 

Think about it. Do you really want paint textures which look like they should reflect every bit of light they catch?

I see a lot of players who are fine with cutting corners because the game is "okay the way it is". The part designs look fine. The textures are definitely an issue, and it is something which can be easily fixed(from my limited knowledge of modeling in blender).

This is especially noticeable every time a planet comes into view.

Apologize, I meant to say "I Believe the majority of us like the new parts look." Stupid phone. 

Rockets are made out of metal and are reflective, even with paint on them they can be shiny enough to reflect light. Not all of it. And the parts in KSP 2 aren't very reflective. If you watch the game play trailer, there's not much reflection to the painted parts, which, imo, is how it should be. 

I see no problem with the textures, although, I've only seen then second-hand. I would need to see them firsthand on the 24th to really make a sound judgement. But from what little I've seen, they look fine to me. 

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Rockets are made out of metal and are reflective, even with paint on them they can be shiny enough to reflect light. Not all of it. And the parts in KSP 2 aren't very reflective. If you watch the game play trailer, there's not much reflection to the painted parts, which, imo, is how it should be. 

That really depends on the smoothness of the surface and the type of paint used. 

We've also seen from the preview event videos that there is a paint opacity slider alongside the color chooser that lets you go all the way down to shiny bare metal, so it might just be a matter of fiddling with the  sliders to get the desired look.