[KSP >= 1.3.0] Aviation Lights /L - 4.2.1.1 - 2023-0802

Lisias

Aviation Lights /L is the sequel for the venerable Aviation Lights, from @MOARdV

In a Hurry:

• Current Release:  4.2.1.1 for KSP >= 1.3 (2023-0802)
    • It works from KSP 1.3.1 to KSP 1.12.5! Seriously! ;)
    • IMPORTANT
      • Module Manager is needed for handling the patches.
      • Read this post before updating!
    • Downloads
Spoiler

Description:

There are two types of standard aviation lights:

Navigation Lights ("Position Lights") are a safety feature on every plane bigger than an ultra-light. They indicate the orientation of the plane so other aircraft know which direction the aircraft is going. For that purpose, the international standard is a red light on the left wingtip, a green one on the right, and a white nav light on the tail.

Example of the correct use in KSP:

6cz23stq.png

But, of course, this is KSP. You can just put them on where it looks cool. :D

Warning Lights (both "Strobe" and "Beacon") are flashing lights to enhance visibility in bad weather and to warn air traffic and ground personnel.

Beacons are typically mounted on the tip of the vertical tail on smaller planes, or in the middle of the fuselage (top and/or bottom) on larger aircraft. They're red, bright and flashing to indicate that parts of the airplane (engines) are moving or the airplane itself is about to move.

Strobes are very bright, white, fast blinking lights which are mounted on the wingtips (next to the red/green navlights) and sometimes on the tail (next to the white navlight) on larger planes. They're so bright that they remain off until the pilot lines up on the runway, so the ground personnel won't be blinded if they stand right next to it.

In addition to the standard navigation and warning light colors, there are amber and blue preset options.

Aeris3A-AL.png

Localization:

Aviation Lights supports localization. Currently available:

• en-us
  • es-es
  • fr-fr
  • ja
  • pt-br
  • zh-cn

Legacy:

Found a nice craft file on KerbalX but it was made for KSP 1.3 and the old lights are not available anymore? We have you covered, Veteran! Aviation Lights /L has full support for legacy crafts made on the Old Days! The legacy aviation lights do not appear in the editor by default on KSP >= 1.4, but are available when running on KSP 1.3. 

If you do not wish to include the old parts in your installation, and you do not have any vessels currently using those lights, feel free to delete the AviationLights/Parts/lights folder - unless you are running KSP 1.3.x .

On the other hand, if you want to use them even on modern KSPs, create a directory on GameData called AviationLights_LEGACY (or create a config file with a dummy MM patch defining the symbol AviationLights_LEGACY in a :FOR).

B9 Part Switcher:

Suport for B9 Part Switcher is now activated by default if `ModuleB9PartSwitch` is found.

Support:

I need help in order to proper help you. :) Open the spoiler for instructions about how to get support:

Spoiler

Please provide:

• A concise, textual description of the problem
    • Mentioning the KSP version and the TweakScale version involved
  • A screenshot of the problem
  • When applicable, the .craft file with a vessel that have the problem
  • When asked, the KSP.log and output_txt log from Unity.
    • See this article for instructions.
    • The Player.log changed location:
      • On MacOS
        • For KSP < 1.8, they are on ~/Library/Logs/Unity
        • On KSP >=1.8, you will find the Player.log on ~/Library/Logs/Squad/KSP/
      • On Windows
        • On KSP >=1.8, you will find the Player.log on C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\KSP\
      • On Linux
        • On KSP >=1.8, you will find the Player.log on ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/KSP/
    • Publish the files on DropBox, Google Drive or similar, and post the link so we can inspect it.
      • DO NOT paste the log on Forum, this causes a lot of problems and it's useless, as Forum also truncate the file
        • It's ok to paste small excerpts to pinpoint something, but we still need the full KSP.log and Player.log in order to help you/
      • Do not use pastebin, gist or similars. They have a pretty small cap on the file size, and will truncate the log rendering yet more useless
    • Imgur is a good choice for publishing screenshots when needed.

Using the Issue Tracker is highly encouraged, as GitHub provides services that make everything above easier. You can open an issue there, and call me here pinpointing there to be sure to get my attention.

Thank you.

Edited by Lisias
Release 4.2.1.1 is on the wild! All your Distribution Channels are belong to us!

ANNOUNCE

Release 4.2.0.1 is available for downloading, with the following changes:

• Formal adoption of the thing. #HURRAY!!
  • Updating it to use KSPe.Light
  • Automatically patches the lights to be used with B9PartSwitch if available.
  • Allows customise the Lights’s Max Range
    • Use with care, too big values can ruin your visuals!

OBS: 4.2.0.0 was withdrawn because, again, I tested the thing on a dirty development rig (intended to type 1.12.5.acp, typed 1.12.5 by muscular memory) and, obviously, it had a bug that the dirty development was masking… :blush:

This Release will be published using the following Schedule:

• GitHub, reaching first manual installers and users of KSP-AVC. Right now.
  • CurseForge. Right Now,
  • SpaceDock (and CKAN users). Right Now.

The reasoning is to gradually distribute a potentially Support Fest release in a way that would me allow to provide proper support if anything else goes wrong.

Edited by Lisias

1 hour ago, Zeggpold said:

Thanks for adopting this!

However, I'm not seeing this on CKAN.  Is that something you know about, or should I bother the CKAN folks?

I added it on SpaceDock and flagged it to be published on CKAN. But apparently the CKAN-Bot didn't indexed it yet.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:00 AM, Zeggpold said:

However, I'm not seeing this on CKAN.  Is that something you know about, or should I bother the CKAN folks?

Well, the bot added AviationLights but pinpointed the previous ownership instead.

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/commit/cef69cb4f6e17ede94b867eabc3ad481980cd01c

"spec_version": "v1.4",
     "identifier": "AviationLights",
     "name": "Aviation Lights",
     "abstract": "Aviation Lights for Kerbal Space Program",
     "author": [
         "MOARdV",
         "BigNose",
         "RPGprayer"
     ],
     "version": "1:v4.1.3",
     "ksp_version_min": "1.8.0",
     "ksp_version_max": "1.12.99",
     "license": "CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0",
     "resources": {
         "homepage": "https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/173305-*",
         "repository": "https://github.com/MOARdV/AviationLights",
         "bugtracker": "https://github.com/MOARdV/AviationLights/issues",
         "remote-avc": "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MOARdV/AviationLights/master/GameData/AviationLights/Plugins/AviationLights.version"
     },
     "tags": [
         "plugin",
         "parts"
     ],

I will try to fix the mess via a github pull request.

— POST EDIT — 

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/9550

— POST POST EDIT —

The Pull Request was accepted on Mar 9, but I forgot to update this!!

Edited by Lisias
post post edit.

• 4 months later...

ANNOUNCE

Release 4.2.0.2 is available for downloading, with the following changes:

• A small glitch on handling Flashing Lights was detected and fixed.
  • A stupid mistake on handling ModuleManager callbacks was detected and fixed.

Downloads on the OP.

• CurseForge. Right Now.
  • SpaceDock. Right Now.

The reasoning is to gradually distribute a potentially Support Fest release in a way that would me allow to provide proper support if anything else goes wrong.

Edited by Lisias
All your Distribution Channels belongs to us!

• 2 weeks later...

ANNOUNCE

Release 4.2.1.0 is available for downloading, with the following changes:

• New Action to turn on whatever is the current mode at the moment
    • The Toggle Action was correctly labeled (and localized)
    • Less confusion on Editor when configuring Actions
  • Enhanced API to make easier 3rd parties interactions
  • The different modes toggles now really toggles the Light no matter what is the current mode.

I finally got some time for really playing KSP again, instead of squandering my free time on diagnosing problems, and then I realised that some small details on Aviation Lights could be slightly improved. So I did it. :) 

Downloads on the OP.

• CurseForge. Whoopsie™.
  • SpaceDock. Whoopsie™.

Edited by Lisias
Whoopsie...

• 4 weeks later...

ANNOUNCE

Release 4.2.1.1 is available for downloading, with the following changes:

• Desperate attempt to mitigate an issue (that I don't even now if it's really an issue) where AL could be inducing (or being induced) to screw up a Scene transitioning reported by exospaceman on Forum.
  • Related issues:
    • #4 Aviation Lights may be involved on a weird bug report on Forum

KSP is misbehaving on "Hybrid" CPUs (that E-Core and P-Core stunt from Intel - and AMD is following suit by the way). This release of Aviation Lights mitigates the side effects on its internal callbacks, but by no means this is a fix on Aviation Lights, it's a mitigation measure for a problem on KSP that would not be necessary at all if Concurrency would be decently handled on KSP (but also on Unity).

The Full History can be found on Github's issue #4, and also on the following thread, where @exospaceman reported a weird problem on his rig and kindly engaged on debugging the problem until we could nail down the symptoms to Aviation Lights! :) 

Downloads on the OP.

• CurseForge. Right Now™.
  • SpaceDock. Right Now™.

Edited by Lisias
All your Distribution Channels are belongs to us.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.