RSS/RO on a macbook big sur

whytho

The entire reason i got into ksp was the realism overhaul and realistic solar system, but downloading it on my mac doesn't seem to work. I try to extract the zip file and keep the RO folder in ksp but i'm not sure what to do after that and it doesn't seem to show any results. Can any experienced player with a macbook(or PC i don't care) tell me how to download the realism overhaul on a macbook thanks.

On 2/3/2023 at 2:50 PM, Vanamonde said:

I do not have a Macbook but I welcome you to the forum. :

Thanks! Im new to ksp in general. I was hoping if you know the solution to my problem, you dont need to be a mac user just like a general solution since you are so experienced.

Can you use CKAN? I’ve heard it doesn’t work all that well on macs but it’s the easiest way to install RO (and RP-1) with the RP-1 express installation- RP-1 only matters in career mode so if you’re playing sandbox then it makes no difference, or you can uninstall what you don’t want afterwards.

15 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Can you use CKAN? I’ve heard it doesn’t work all that well on macs but it’s the easiest way to install RO (and RP-1) with the RP-1 express installation- RP-1 only matters in career mode so if you’re playing sandbox then it makes no difference, or you can uninstall what you don’t want afterwards.

Ive had some problems with it, still thanks but is there alternate yet more difficult ways?

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki

Best I can do, all the install guides want you to use CKAN as downloading everything by hand is a bit of a nightmare.

I plan on doing it by hand, but do you need RP-0 with RSS and RO too?

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki

Best I can do, all the install guides want you to use CKAN as downloading everything by hand is a bit of a nightmare.

Also how to add a image to your profile lol

I successfully played RSS/RO on Career mode a year ago. I installed Windows through Parallels app, downloaded Ckan and installed all the mods I needed. Then I moved the GameData folder to MacOS. Everything worked just fine in the game. 

The reason I installed Windows was that, the Ckan app for MacOS is crap, I was not able to use it at all. So anytime I needed to update mods or add more, I started Windows Ckan

7 hours ago, Liberty said:

I successfully played RSS/RO on Career mode a year ago. I installed Windows through Parallels app, downloaded Ckan and installed all the mods I needed. Then I moved the GameData folder to MacOS. Everything worked just fine in the game. 

The reason I installed Windows was that, the Ckan app for MacOS is crap, I was not able to use it at all. So anytime I needed to update mods or add more, I started Windows Ckan

i have a few questions

1. Is it possible to install said mods without using Ckan and instead extract the folders

2.  KSP runs at 10 fps on my windows so i cant really use my computer to use Ckan. Just tell the steps to extract the files

alot of thanks for the info

17 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

To change your avatar, click on your name or current avatar and choose to edit it on the upper left. 

thanks alot

Edited by whytho

@whytho

1. You have to find each mod's Github or Spacedock repository and manually download, unpack and put them into the GameData folder which is located in KSP main folder. Don't forget to install a ModuleManager so it will handle all your mods. I wouldn't suggest that, Ckan is better and easier. 

2. You don't have to run your Windows KSP,  just install Ckan and download all the mods you need through it, then transfer GameData folder to your Mac. Check out this video on Ckan installation of RSS/RO/RP-1 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 11:33 AM, Liberty said:

Hi, to install Ckan on MacOs, you have to install MonoFramework-MDK (latest version not Visual Basic), then it works, but after that you have to use ckan with the MacOs virtual keyboard.

Use "TAB" key to move the selection cursor between search line and mods, and if your keyboard does not work for Ckan, use pure virtual keyboard FN + F9, F10...

I use KSP + Ckan on Mac Pro/Big Sur.

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2023 at 6:39 PM, xX_Ombre_Xx said:

Hi, to install Ckan on MacOs, you have to install MonoFramework-MDK (latest version not Visual Basic), then it works, but after that you have to use ckan with the MacOs virtual keyboard.

Use "TAB" key to move the selection cursor between search line and mods, and if your keyboard does not work for Ckan, use pure virtual keyboard FN + F9, F10...

I use KSP + Ckan on Mac Pro/Big Sur.

thanks for the info, over the course i tried to manually install all the mods. It worked seemingly but there were quite a few bugs and there were still stock parts. My main problem with ckan is i cant download stuff on it on mac, it only downloads to cache, can you help with this thanks

On 5/15/2023 at 9:07 AM, AtomicTech said:

Try doing the manual install; you'll definitely learn some neat things!

Yeaaa, how do you do that PROPERLY, without anything going wrong or any bugs

8 hours ago, whytho said:

Yeaaa, how do you do that PROPERLY, without anything going wrong or any bugs

Make sure that all folders are in the right spot :)

I'd recommend taking this discussion over to our mod support section of the forums; there will defintely be a mac player who'll get you up and running :)

13 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Make sure that all folders are in the right spot :)

I'd recommend taking this discussion over to our mod support section of the forums; there will defintely be a mac player who'll get you up and running :)

I finally learnt how to use ckan, yet i took your advice thanks