[1.12.x] NiftyNebulae - A Volumetric Nebula mod

RJVB09

AMSqg3O.png

Forget fancy skyboxes, embrace Nifty Nebulae.

ABOUT

Nifty nebula is my first actual mod for KSP. I have been messing with shaders for a while now, volumetrics in particular. Then I had the idea of implementing these shaders in KSP using a plugin.
Nifty Nebulae makes it possible to have actual 3d volumetric nebulae in game, with different views no matter where you are in or around the nebula.

The mod requires a decent graphics card, if you are able to run Scatterer it should be able to run this too.

These are a few screenshots (more can be found on the GitHub wiki):

Spoiler

XHKtLf7.png

OJR4AMY.png

EUoMfzn.png

TwO2Pr1.png

DOWNLOAD

In order for the mod to work, configuration packs are required, these can either be from a planet pack or one of the sample two on the releases page.
Currently known to work on KSP 1.12.x-1.10.x

GitHub Download
AxCCIC6.png

Nifty Nebulae is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
(CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)

FOR PLANET PACK CREATORS/HELP AND BUGS

Planet pack creators can make their own custom textures and configs for Nifty Nebulae. Information on how to do so can be found on the GitHub page on the wiki. Keep in mind, creating textures is currently pretty difficult due to the 3d nature of them, a tool for this is currently being worked on.

As for bugs and other gameplay related issues and questions, these can be reported on the github too on the issues page. Feel free to message me on discord too RJVB09#4200.
Note that the mod has performance settings in the NiftyNebulaeGlobals.cfg file in the mod folder itself. You can tweak these values to make it run better. Instructions of which can be found on the wiki too

WIKI

Have fun playing!

Edited by RJVB09
License

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is seriously amazing! With a config so simple..I can use it :o

Not to mention.. I had nooo idea about Beyond Home..I was soo certain that my next playthrough would be with RSS.. but I was worried about sorting through my now couple hundred mods for compatibility issues.. Thisss changes everything<3

On 3/15/2023 at 12:01 AM, Derpistheword said:

Would it be possible to have the nebula trail a planet, as in align itself with the tailing edge of its trajectory so that a pseudo comet trail could be made? It would be interesting if minmus could have a dust trail behind it

Im still going to add custom rotation settings for the next update. Currently a bit busy irl though so you'd have to wait a bit. I'll keep it in mind, that minmus idea def sounds cool :)

this is so awesome! I hope that GU will integrate this cause this is cool!  I also hope that the mod The World Beyond gets updated or adopted so that it can have this mod installed. The mod has a supernova nebula that in reality is a 2D jpeg that keeps facing the camera and has no depth to it. 

P.S how is the progress of updating your light levels series of mods going, I've been waiting for them and their scatterers to be updated for some time now? (not trying to be nosey just curious.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 6:40 AM, Iodyne said:

With a config such as the AccretionDisc, how would one go about adjusting its tilt off the ecliptic?

That's not possible as of now, the rotation was actually very hastily implemented, thus its just 2D for now.

On 4/6/2023 at 11:49 PM, weird moth thing said:

One thing I'm wondering is if this could work with singularity, cause right now it seems like the light bending shaders go over the shaders for nebula and accretion disks.

Yeah they're not compatible in any shape or form, might consider it sometime in the future but its low priority.

• 2 months later...

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I follow the instruction within the .zip files but it doesnt work for me.

Ingame screenshot / Game folder (I tried without Astronomer's Visual Pack, same issue happening)

Spoiler

1690657437-screenshot-762.jpg

1690657850-capture.png

Thanks in advance for your help !

Edited by TT213

On 7/24/2023 at 6:52 PM, PicoSpace said:

For making nebula files, what is the logistic progression of the images? (Top to Bottom / Left to Right and the L/R Drop-off in opacity scale)?

I made a wiki page going into detail about the textures so you can take a look at that. Its currently super labour intensive to manually make a decent resolution nebula, however an editor is currently being worked on for a more intuitive workflow.

29 minutes ago, TT213 said:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I follow the instruction within the .zip files but it doesnt work for me.

Ingame screenshot / Game folder (I tried without Astronomer's Visual Pack, same issue happening)

Reveal hidden contents

1690657437-screenshot-762.jpg

1690657850-capture.png

Thanks in advance for your help !

The nebulae don't work in the main menu screen, they only work in the actual game (when you're launching a rocket, or in map/tracking station view). If they still dont, then i'll need some extra info (your player.log file i.a.)

1 hour ago, RJVB09 said:

I made a wiki page going into detail about the textures so you can take a look at that. Its currently super labour intensive to manually make a decent resolution nebula, however an editor is currently being worked on for a more intuitive workflow.

The nebulae don't work in the main menu screen, they only work in the actual game (when you're launching a rocket, or in map/tracking station view). If they still dont, then i'll need some extra info (your player.log file i.a.)

That was the case indeed, I didn't went further than the main menu.

Apologies for that and thanks for your quick help, it works perfectly !

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.