Do It Like Jebediah: Orbit and land safely using only boosters

Alright people. Your task is simple:

[list type=decimal]

[li]Get into space[/li]

[li]Orbit[/li]

[li]Land safely (anywhere)

[/li]

But you have execute it like Jeb would: Boosters, boosters, boosters. No sissy stuff like parachutes or liquid engines. Nova and Sunday Punch's part packs are allowable, but the real Thrillmaster would do it with the stock boosters. 8)

Good luck.

For added bonus points, try and do it in a *single* stack, without lateral decouplers or surface-mounts! (For that purpose, I'd also permit the various multi-couplers in Sunday Punch's pack, and the lateral bi- and tri-couplers.)

I'm not sure that's even possible to do, but it'd certainly be an interesting twist.

As long as you're in orbit and can prove it, nope. My run had an apogee of 206km and a perigee of 66km, but I screwed up my re-entry approach. =(

If I launch, kill my ascent rate and snap a shot at perigee to prove I'm at orbital speeds and eccentricities, do I still have to complete an orbit or can I just deorbit immediately?

I'd ideally like to see one complete orbit, but if you're in a hurry as long as you can prove you would've orbited, I'll take that, because floating in space is boring. It's not like the landing'll be any harder, since you've got the lateral. :P A shot at apogee works for similar reasons.

My strategy: Land upside down with the reverse booster. 8)

Ive been experimenting with a variety of mod-parts just to try and find a way to crash-land the thing , and so far they've all been tuned into paste. Either the thrusters are powerful enough to return the dropping capsule to upward flight , or aren't powerful enough to slow it down even for a crash landing. Anyone got suggestions?

With wings the landing would be much easier. Been trying the horizontal 'crash' landing approach too.

I think this is a promising line of enquiry. After a lot of trial and error , I came up with the contraption below. After a lot of practice In-atmo , ive been able to pull off a few controlled crashes. Its a pig to handle (SAS all the way) and if you dont time it all just right the landing pads will bounce you back up. Survival rate is probably 10% , which probably just makes Jeb want to fly it all the more.

Been messing around with the horizontal lander idea with stock parts, and i have to say, it aint happening.

Yeah , the stock wings just don't have enough lift. I've been experimenting with C7s aviation mod though and have come up with a number of prototypes that show some promise. The latest is the Jebediah 1.2 , which is effectively a C30 solid booster with a delta wing , wing let-tail and some landing gear bolted on. So far its proven pretty safe , the bouncy gear surviving landing speeds of up to 50 m/s. The only problem I have found has actually been stopping , as a glitch in the part physics seems to mean that the craft only de-accelerates very slowly on the ground , and has a tendency to bounce. My solution in the .2 model was to attach the gear to radial decouplers so that once the machine had bounced its way down to 20m/s or so I can blast off the wheels and drop onto the 'belly' of the booster , which naturally pulls up pretty sharp. Success rate after a bit of practice is above 80% , so now im moving on to build a launcher to try and put this contraption in orbit.

Well it wasn't pretty but it worked with SIDR, Sunday Punch and C7 parts.

On Pad

SRBPlaneonpad.jpg

1st Stage Separation

SRBPlane2.jpg

Boosters, Center booster, plus outside SRBs exhausted.

SRBPlane3.jpg

Burning Wingtip boosters to even out speed. NOTE can be decoupled before burn-out and will miss ship. Jettisoning early is about the only speed control you are going to get.

SRBPlaneWingBoosters.jpg

I think I overshot my speed mark Still haven't reached Apogee

SRBPlaneStillCoastingtoApogee.jpg

De-Orbit Burn I am afraid I will never hit Apogee and will fly out to deep space. Firing the 2 inboard SRBs.

SRBPlaneDe-Orbiting.jpg

Just above Atmosphere

SRBPlaneAtmointerface.jpg

Splash Down

SRBPlaneSplashDown.jpg

The texture line under the red arrow has a bit of a 'step down' which is what killed my SAS

The craft can do it even with my bad flying. Maybe you can take it and do better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.