Morning Star I: Kerballed mission to Eve and Gilly, circumnavigations of both, and lots of science

Poppa Wheelie

This is my final mission of a Career playthrough I started shortly after I got the game for Christmas of 2019.  The mission is not complete, but I wanted to report progress so far mostly because I don’t know how much more I’ll get done before KSP2 drops.  

Here are the parts I’m ready to report on now:

1. Orbital Assembly
  2. Flight to Eve
  3. Satellite Deployment (3 satellites in geosynchronous orbit, 1 over a fixed location for contract)
  4. Flight to Gilly
  5. Gilly Surface Mission (Elcano)
  6. Eve Landings (progress so far)

I’ll come back later to update this post and this thread after I finish it all up.

Part 1.  Orbital Assembly

This assembly required 9 launches.

• Total Launch Mass:  1810.678t
  • Total Launch Cost:  1,032,632 Funds
  • Final Assembled Mass:  293.682t
  • Final Assembled Length:  137m
  • Final Assembled Part Count:  469

Final Assembled Vehicle:

9TTF823.png

9 Launches and Orbital Assembly:

Spoiler

1.  Satellite Array:

Spoiler

I had a contract to put a specific satellite into geosynchronous orbit over a specific Eve ground location.  So I brought along 2 more satellites to make a 3 sat comms network for Eve.

Launch
6Sgk6TB.png

Approaching Bartlett Station in LKO
n0z0NIX.png

After docking the Satellite Array with the station, I deorbited the last stage, as I did for all of these launches.
Un87HXm.png

2.  Mothership and Drop Tank - Satellite

Spoiler

This launch contained both the Mothership (crew quarters, fuel, and 2 engines), and an additional fuel tank that would be used when deploying the satellites.

Launch
6WpfWwi.png

Begin circularization
WnM7JWY.png

Complete circularization
w8goYhz.png

Approaching Bartlett Station
GP3jw8T.png

Docking
EVtXob0.png

3.  Eve Ascent Vehicle

Spoiler

This design is based on one from an @Echo__3video.  Thank you, Echo__3!  I modified the final stage to fit 3 kerbals in chairs, and tested it in sandbox.  It should work.

Launch
8srbXx1.png

Finishing circularization with final stage
LaXi0iR.png

PxS9vq1.png

Docked
DXQddVY.png

4.  Eve Reconfigurable Rover

It's an aircraft, with removable pontoons, or it's a ground vehicle, with attachable wings - whichever way you want to look at it.

Launch
EOdacCo.png

12l8FXr.png

5.  Eve Outpost

Spoiler

I had a contract to deploy a specific outpost to the Eve surface.  I took the contract because I was going to Eve anyway.  I probably should have just skipped this contract, as it doesn't really contribute to the mission (other than provide a good source of Funds).

Launch
eDlpUN6.png

Finish circularization with final stage
Vtqy0Wz.png

This is how close I was when I finally zeroed relative velocity with Bartlett Station.  This was cutting it a little too close.
x7qimrE.png

6.  Plus 4 Nerv and Gilly Rover

Spoiler

This launch contains a fuel tank with 4 additional Nerv engines (which will return to Kerbin), and the Gilly rover, Jerry Pournelle

Launch
nJVKJAB.png

Finish circularization with the Nervs
gHgUsDL.png

LERcpt2.png

7.  Fuel Stack - On Station

Spoiler

Three launches were needed to get all required fuel for the mission.  This launch contained the fuel that will be used by the mission after reaching Low Eve Orbit, including fuel for the return to Kerbin.

Launch
7TPjPKA.png

Circularization
0S9sdQx.png

K2SVKCH.png

8.  Fuel Stack - Eve Orbital Insertion

Spoiler

The second fuel launch contained fuel for the Eve Orbital Insertion, including capture, and several burns at Pe to reduce a planned highly elliptical capture orbit to a circular, Low Eve Orbit.

Launch
oYmBMQi.png

Circularization
udAl1VX.png

3IncL9O.png

Deorbiting final stage
gCgmHQ4.png

9.  Fuel Stack - Boost

Spoiler

Finally, the last launch, and the last fuel launch.  This one contains all fuel required to get us from Low Kerbin Orbit to the Eve SOI.

Launch
kUBGhca.png

I underestimated oxidizer requirements for this launch, and ran out just as I was at the station.  I was approaching a little too fast, and also ran out of monopropellant.
ICYxCBs.png

Fortunately, I had the John Scalzi docked at Bartlett Station, which could act as a refueller and tug.  The John Scalzi undocked, chased down this fuel stack, and towed it back to Bartlett Station.
ApcxVwh.png
9QUXXVS.png

The John Scalzi released the fuel stack, which completed the docking on its own.
xVMxYqN.png
wKKYidl.png

Part 2.  Flight to Eve

Spoiler

Undocked from Bartlett Station
i3JRys5.png

First of 8 Pe kicks
ixCMmF8.png

Dropped the rearmost fuel tank after the last Pe kick
1VgRJW6.png

The last (8th) Pe kick was followed by a 9th burn for the escape
W2hfqeu.png

Did a little deep space science on the way
WG51e01.png

Approaching Eve
NR1EVfu.png
tjiqeZ0.png

Eve capture burn, into a highly elliptical orbit
fJwDczz.png

This is how far away from Eve we were near Ap when we did an inclination change to make the orbit completely equatorial
lN3Huck.png

One of several burns at Pe to lower Ap (reverse Pe kicks?)
Av6OemL.png

Dropped exhausted fuel tank
WPuj5hs.png

In Low Eve Orbit
fIPeVJ1.png

Edited by Poppa Wheelie

Part 3.  Satellite Deployment

We'll be deploying 3 satellites into geosynchronous equatorial orbit, 1 of which must be over a specific geographical ground location on Eve for contract credit.

Spoiler

Undocked the mothership, a drop tank, and the satellite array.  Everything else will stay in Low Eve Orbit.
6s6TdwX.png

Burn at exactly the right place in the orbit, with respect to the required ground location, and raise the Ap to geosynchronous altitude
1zrDJ4T.png

Circularize at the Ap
DFfxIYW.png

I should have had contract credit as soon as the circularization was complete, but then I noticed that the only box unchecked was the first one that said "unmanned".  By separating the mothership and the satellite array, I completed all requirements and got contract credit.
p20aoeY.png

Then I had to redock
sCpo1O3.png

And released the first satellite.  In this image we can also see Jool and Kerbin to the right of Eve.
Wi64vWv.png

Next, we had Irming, our engineer, relocate the scanning antenna, the Science Junior, and the Goo container (required by the contract) from the satellite array, and place them on the mothership.
qU26oCe.png

Then lowered the Pe so that the new orbital period was 2/3 of the geosynchronous orbital period
VYKwPax.png

Released the second satellite before the next Ap, and the satellite did its own circularization
ChSomph.png

And the same for EveSat3
twzWRqs.png

Lowered the Pe to well inside Eve's atmosphere, released the remaining satellite array structure, then turned around and raised the Pe back up above the atmosphere
HHvl4wl.png
SwApySC.png

At the Pe, burned to lower the Ap
gd1gv3k.png

Now we can rendezvous and dock with the structure (now called "Eve Station"), which we left in Low Eve Orbit
XH6ocs4.png
qMxmtdf.png

3rd satellite deployed
twzWRqs.png

Edited by Poppa Wheelie

Part 4. Flight to Gilly

Spoiler

We undocked from the bottom of the stack, left the small drop tank down there, got a larger drop tank from the top of the stack, then docked the Gilly rover, Jerry Pournelle, to the nose of the mothership
qMxmtdf.png
jflChk8.png
FPLeAmJ.png
vSrXpiA.png
mpOF6QN.png

First of a handful of Pe kicks for Gilly, aimed at the Ascending Node
K3YuSTu.png

We got In Space High science for all equatorial biomes in 1 orbit, and then arranged to change from equatorial to polar orbit of Eve
rbADEAO.png
cIAaY6t.png

In polar orbit we got most of the rest of the In Space High science.  We got very close to the small Olympus biome a few times, but never quite got it.
Pet4a6h.png

Approaching the Gilly SOI
J6ZpXgR.png

Burning for a Gilly capture
PwLQiCn.png

Got all In Space High science over Gilly
qNlG5Tf.png

A small burn to achieve equatorial inclination
qYKgTps.png

Then deorbit and land
UwYL2nc.png
Dv01Sc7.png
l0879SZ.png

Landed on Gilly
DszLaR3.png

Edited by Poppa Wheelie

Part 5.  Gilly Surface Mission (Elcano)

We'll circumnavigate Gilly for Elcano credit, get all Landed and In Space Low science, do some extra science for a contract, and visit an anomaly detected while in orbit over the Gilly north polar region.

Here's the route we took
SwaJkmI.png

Spoiler

I've seen examples of people doing their Gilly Elcano using ion drives to provide forward motion, and to keep the vehicle more in contact with the ground.  I don't have ion drives unlocked yet, and I decided to use RCS thrusters with 120 units of monopropellant.  I also went very slow.  Uphills were done at 2 to 3 m/s, coasting speed of 3 to 5 m/s, and downhills were usually under 8 m/s.

I also started off with the following wheel settings:

• Friction Control:  1.0
  • Spring Strength:  0.05
  • Damper Strength:  1
  • Motor:  Disabled
  • Brakes:  50%  (I added strength to the rear brakes later in the mission)

Undock the rover, Jerry Pournelle. 
cDkjS3d.png
WC7l2Dj.png

Team photos and flag ceremony
lbJR9um.png
sw46HYv.png

And off we go, heading directly north, to the pole
QYEW7f0.png

Got a good scan of some Gilly Ridgeline
evniYFT.png
215RQat.png

Most of this first leg north was uphill.  I started worrying early about the monopropellant lasting for the entire trip.
KhYbPi6.png

The north pole is in sight
OUUpwQx.png

At the north pole
VFjvGww.png
WgZilo7.png
lA2e271.png

After the north pole, the next leg is to head directly south towards Anomaly G1
IA3vJAp.png

As we neared the anomaly, I spotted it visually while  zoomed out.  KerbNet never saw it.  So we headed a little west of the waypoint marker, directly at the anomaly
ojMLjFY.png
SrtFaha.png

At the anomaly.  We got a nice science bonus.  The team decided they wanted to stand on the top for the photo.
hIPbP4A.png
vxx8waP.png
p271rpC.png

In our excitement to get to the anomaly, we forgot to drop waypoint marker #4, or to do science as we entered the Midlands biome.  So we did the Midlands science here.
yFN27Qu.png
zVMqpfG.png

The we were off again.  The next leg is to head directly East, until it was time to turn south towards our contract location
un43kts.png
0FCaddR.png

When we were due north of the contract location, we turned and headed directly south
yyi6NbP.png

Once in the contract area, we had to do Seismic Scans at 4 specific areas
D1zIozV.png
6I6dVqj.png
p4C4UvU.png

Contract complete
dSyKHq6.png
bKV3Od8.png

Next leg: continue south to the south pole, dropping markers at 30 and 60 degrees South.  From the time we originally turned south, until shortly after the contract area, was mostly uphill, then lots of downhill after that.
gfU51Zw.png

Highest elevation reached while headed south
cXpoa0x.png

With all the downhill on the second half of this southern leg, the brakes were not doing anything to slow us down.  I adjusted the rear brakes from 50% to 100%
HcBufZf.png

Dropped a marker at 30 degrees South
qcizDMZ.png

Highest jump of the entire mission, near the end of the big downhill section of this southern leg.
MswDi4w.png

It was much more fun, and much easier to see the ground, when we were in the sun
GexDp6U.png

Dropped another marker at 60 degrees south
oHA6OYY.png

Approaching the south pole.  Pretty boring scenery - not in the sun, no celestial objects visible.  It wasn't until I arrived at the south pole that I finally felt comfortable that we could complete the circumnavigation with the monopropellant available.
vWuC9jP.png
UdyhSWD.png
S5Nuo0N.png

The final leg of the journey sent us directly north, back towards the lander.  Another big uphill, followed by mild downhills.
LzaM3ZW.png

Elevation record for this leg.  Slight downhills after this point.
RwWfSRh.png

Dropped markers at 60 and 30 degrees S as we headed north
HWkHfsK.png
c8KHAVc.png

Nearing the landing site
P5zX97f.png

I've got a bad feeling about this.
tkSPZ9r.png

The Larry Niven, mothership that we left at the landing site, is partially buried
0xIwac0.png

I did a save here, then reloaded it.  When I reloaded the save, the Larry Niven shot straight up, quickly.  I switched control to it, and was able to fly it back to this site and land it again.
q91Hr3y.png
bToV4Q2.png
VTG8HaF.png
MXuiuoK.png

Next, I docked the rover to the nose of the mothership
otIovC8.png
JJAoKSi.png

Transferred all science, topped off the monoprop in the mothership, and dropped the rover for the final time.
gbrIX42.png
t5b3hph.png

Elcano circumnavigation complete
Rxp3npp.png
Lo4hqMz.png

And return to Eve Station

Spoiler

Popped a wheelie, got remaining In Space Low science, and oriented for a direct ascent, with reaction wheel only
Be3ebBW.png

Heading straight up got us out of the Gilly SOI into an only slightly lower orbit of Eve
0mmm8ic.png
CkngE6c.png

Near the Ap of our Eve orbit we adjusted for the 12 degree inclination, and then lowered Pe at the Ap
sbl1wHI.png
Xi9NXat.png

We made a handful or orbits, lowering Ap at each Pe (reverse Pe kicks?).  On the first one, we passed fairly close to Eve Station.
mk2UCJd.png

After achieving a circular orbit, we rendezvoused and docked with Eve Station
NQ6CR9g.png
5KkwVeN.png

• 1 month later...

Part 7.  Return to Kerbin

"Hey!  You skipped Part 6, the Eve Landings."  Yeah, I hear you.  Well, bad news.  When the crew got back to Eve Station from Gilly, Bob did an EVA and inspected the three components that we were intending to land:  the Eve Surface Outpost, the Eve Ascent Vehicle, and the Eve Reconfigurable Rover and Aircraft.  All three of these depend on propellers, and the propellers were very messed up on all three.  We can't do the circumnavigation without the Rover, and we can't get back to orbit without the Ascent Vehicle.  So, no landings.  I'm pretty disappointed.  Everything worked in testing (cheating each item to the surface of Eve).  The Rover worked well, the Rover in Aircraft configuration worked well, and the Ascent Vehicle (based on an @Echo__3 design) got me back to Eve orbit.  Maybe I'll come back at some later time and do this Eve landing and circumnavigation, but not any time too soon.

Eve to Kerbin transfer, docking with station in LKO, and return to KSC via SSTO

Spoiler

I left all three of the (broken) landing vehicles in Low Eve Orbit, and docked the hab and front two engines with the rear four engines
XtR23gM.png

It took a few tries to get these two sections docked properly so that the six engines were symmetrical.  But I finally got it.
fuXp2pN.png

Next I had MechJeb determine the next transfer window back to Kerbin and create the maneuver node.  I set an alarm for 400 days.
sPiBeCH.png

Undocked the return portion of the Larry Niven
T21RZzK.png

Beginning of Eve Escape and Kerbin Transfer burn
BSqNYJw.png

Kerbin encounter in 222 days.  I set another alarm.
wZiDZV3.png

Approaching Kerbin
dWAkCpN.png

Orbital insertion burn
IHEqNQp.png

We inserted into a highly elliptical orbit with a fairly large inclination.  I corrected the inclination as inexpensively as possible, and then circularized the orbit.
PRuOq4y.png

Intercept burn for Bartlett Station
hltEMSk.png

J50ZvnQ.png

Scientist Natazer collected the science from the Larry Niven and delivered it directly to the Jackie Cochran SSTO
9gSZF2o.png

Jackie Cochran undocking from Bartlett Station
e5VZ3gf.png

Lowering Pe for atmospheric reentry
AxiowId.png

Atmospheric descent
9oGA19l.png

Approaching land
DxFzfwY.png

Descending towards runway
LDeS9jG.png

Approaching runway
ujgEojf.png

Mission Complete
KTHoxDK.png

With the science from this mission, and from my recently completed Duna mission, I bought all of the remaining "stock" portions of the tech tree, and a very large portion of the expanded modded tech tree that I had.  I also had plenty of Funds, so upgraded all buildings. 

I'm declaring this career complete.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.