[1.12.x] ProbeControlRoom Recontrolled (adopted)

JonnyOThan

Hello!  @linuxgurugamerhas graciously allowed me to adopt this mod, as it's integral to the RPM/FreeIva/KerbalVR ecosystem and I'm working on big changes to it.  PCR was originally created by @Tabakhaseand later @Virindi.  Original thread here.

217684840-7088eabb-6564-4d71-a8de-7c4d6f

(Note: pictured above is the KSA IVA Upgrade variant)

ProbeControlRoom adds an IVA for probes, where you can pretend to be Gene Kerman himself.

Dependencies

• ModuleManager
  • RasterPropMonitor or MOARdV's Avionics Systems
  • ToolbarController

Changes

• ProbeControlRoom now spawns civilian Kerbals at each desk
  • Press V to cycle between seats instead of double-clicking
  • You can now use PCR on ships that have crew (they must still have a probe core). Press C to cycle to PCR or use the toolbar button.
  • Prepping for compatibility with FreeIva and KerbalVR

Download

Other Stuff

License: CC-BY_NC-SA-3.0
Source code: https://github.com/JonnyOThan/KSP-ProbeControlRoom/
This mod is a continuation of the work of: @Tabakhase, @icedown, @Albert VDS, @MeCripp, @Nils277, @JPLRepo, @Dexter9313, @Z-Key Aerospace, @jlcarneiro, @linuxgurugamer.

Edited by JonnyOThan

This updated for me this morning (Congratulations!) via CKAN, and when I clicked on the Home Page link in CKAN it took me to linuxgurugamer's thread, not this one.

If I should report this on some other thread please tell me.  I don't know who is maintaining CKAN data for this mod.

Also, thanks!

31 minutes ago, jamesf said:

This updated for me this morning (Congratulations!) via CKAN, and when I clicked on the Home Page link in CKAN it took me to linuxgurugamer's thread, not this one.

If I should report this on some other thread please tell me.  I don't know who is maintaining CKAN data for this mod.

Also, thanks!

Thanks...I'll need to get that updated, but I think all metadata updates to CKAN are paused at the moment.  EDIT: Oh I see some fields on spacedock I need to update, maybe that will work.

Edited by JonnyOThan

CKAN looks to be updated now, at least my one brought me here and updated correctly :)

Thank you, huge fan of your IVA mods!!!

Any plans other than whats listed above for PCR?

Would love to see different control room  options dependant on tech level (If thats even possible, i have no idea, all this runs on magic and dreams as far as i know :D )

Stayputnik = Old school soviet control room

HECS  Cans = Similar to what we have currently

NF Exploration probes = Something a bit more ......well near future i guess  :D

1 hour ago, Squeaky said:

CKAN looks to be updated now, at least my one brought me here and updated correctly :)

Thank you, huge fan of your IVA mods!!!

Any plans other than whats listed above for PCR?

Would love to see different control room  options dependant on tech level (If thats even possible, i have no idea, all this runs on magic and dreams as far as i know :D )

Stayputnik = Old school soviet control room

HECS  Cans = Similar to what we have currently

NF Exploration probes = Something a bit more ......well near future i guess  :D

Yes, currently each probe core can specify which control room to use (just like how each part specifies its internal).  There's only one available room "shell" right now but there are a couple different flavors of prop layouts that you could set up - JSI only, basic ASET are available in PCR itself, DE_IVAExtension has a different ASET layout, and then KSA has the one shown in the OP.

You can see my plans for development here: https://github.com/JonnyOThan/KSP-ProbeControlRoom/issues.

One other thing of note that I noticed before but never reported - the Mission Time over the big displays in the Control Room starts at day 1, but MET starts at day 0.

If this has been fixed please ignore, I just noticed again from the pic in the first post.

And CKAN now brings me to this topic. :)

Jonny on the spot taking over ProbeControlRoom. Happy to see you with this one, welcome welcome.
--
Figured I'd move my issue over from the last thread as it was at the end of LGG's time with it.

I searched for this issue hopefully I didn't just miss it. When I switch to Control Room, the control point seems to switch itself to something else (perhaps it's going to the root?). Is there a setting to stop this or is it a bug in the original code? Thanks in advance for reading. Cheers.

I should mention that I do have Retain Control Point on IVA ticked, as I always do. It seems unrelated to that setting.

Log *

*It's 'old' now, LMK if it's of no use I'll generate a new one tomorrow.

Edited by ElonsMusk
moved issue from old thread here

On 2/12/2023 at 3:15 AM, Dusty9261 said:

Wonderful mod! Unfortunately, when using the probe room at all, the game for the rest of the flight believes that it's still in Internal view, even after exiting the probe room.

I’m not sure what you mean by this.  What are the symptoms?  Please post a log file as well.

Seemingly suffering the same problem.  When I hit 'C' on a probe-only craft it entered the control room.  When I hit 'C' again I got a view of space that I could not manipulate _at_ _all_.  Zoom In to find the craft?  Nope.  Right-button drag to move the point of view?  Nope.  Those are all of the details I have, it was late and I've slept since then.

1 hour ago, jamesf said:

Seemingly suffering the same problem.  When I hit 'C' on a probe-only craft it entered the control room.  When I hit 'C' again I got a view of space that I could not manipulate _at_ _all_.  Zoom In to find the craft?  Nope.  Right-button drag to move the point of view?  Nope.  Those are all of the details I have, it was late and I've slept since then.

Please post log files with bug reports.

For me, when staging happens, when parts are destroyed, etc. the Control Room disappears and the IVA camera appears to be next to the probe. Double tapping C brings the Control Room back. KSP.log's only error as it happens is this:

[ERR 04:05:25.333] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'PortraitContainer' is inactive!

Anything I can provide to help? I don't seem to see anyone else posting about this issue happening to them!

2 hours ago, N9 Gaming said:

For me, when staging happens, when parts are destroyed, etc. the Control Room disappears and the IVA camera appears to be next to the probe. Double tapping C brings the Control Room back. KSP.log's only error as it happens is this:

[ERR 04:05:25.333] Coroutine couldn't be started because the the game object 'PortraitContainer' is inactive!

Anything I can provide to help? I don't seem to see anyone else posting about this issue happening to them!

Thanks.  I think I came across this once when playing the other night but I neglected to file an issue, so thanks for the reminder.  In the future though, please post your full ksp.log with bug reports.

On 2/19/2023 at 2:05 PM, JonnyOThan said:

Thanks.  I think I came across this once when playing the other night but I neglected to file an issue, so thanks for the reminder.  In the future though, please post your full ksp.log with bug reports.

I have same issue as N9Gaming. Everytime I stage my view goes to vessel. It happens since PCR 1.3.0 update.

BTW, how can I send log file? I can't attach .txt file on this forum.

5 minutes ago, meril said:

The best way to attach a log file is to either upload it into a Google Doc and share the link here (most preferred option) or to create a spoiler by hitting the eye on the text box when you're posting and copy/paste the log into the spoiler.

Spoiler

This is a spoiler. Hi!

And welcome aboard!

16 hours ago, meril said:

Instructions are here:

Theres also this mod that does all the file gathering and packaging for you... you just have to then find a place to upload the .zip:

6 hours ago, thabuckwizar said:

Hi, is it possible to include in the original post which other mods are required to use all the different features? I can't get the camera mode to work.

The original thread is at the top with the requirements. You may be confused because those are not the requirements to get all the screens and such to work. For cameras you  need the camera that comes with RPM or Hull cam VDS cameras. Scan sat for the map view.

I have noticed you have to have a probe on the craft to make this mod work. Makes sense given the name but is there a way to get around this requirement? Also if you have a probe controlling a craft that also has people on it and the probe is destroyed, the camera wigs out and requires a reload of the scene.

Love this mod.

@SpaceFoon yeah... Until the recent adoption of the mod, it *ONLY* worked for craft with probes, and NO crew/crewed craft. I wont speak to whether needing the probe requirement could be changed or not, but I think at the time, its necessary to have it currently work with crewed parts.

It kind of doesnt surprise me that if the probe gets destroyed, "stuff" happens.

Edited by Stone Blue

You need to make sure the probe part on your craft is attached/oriented in such a way, so that if you choose "Control from Here" on the probe PAW, the navball in flight scene would be oriented correctly.

If you do this, and then the navball orientation is *still* incorrect or different than orientation in flight (when the probe core is selected as control point)...
Then there might be an issue with this mod.