KSP2 Insiders - Preview event hosted by ESA

Vl3d

I will add more information to the thread as it becomes available.

Guest list:

Who was there?

What did they do there?

Leaks or impressions about the game?

Edited by Vl3d

You could get a bit of guest list just by looking at pictures. Me, not knowing anything about KSP youtubers/streamers, recognize only Scott Manley.

Also, I didn't know ESA has RGB powered pcs for mission control, guess LEDs give more delta v.

18 minutes ago, Vl3d said:
Guest list:

Who was there?

What did they do there?

Leaks or impressions about the game?

Almost every major, and probably a few minor, KSP content creators. 

They played KSP, watched Superheavy's 31 engine test fire while eatting dinner inside a flippin planetarium. 

Leaks? We'll get none. Everyone at that event is under NDA until a specific date and time. They leak, they get sued. Impressions? We'll get videos about that soon enough. Every content creator will be posting vids once NDA is up. Though, if they are under multiple NDAs, the content might be sparse. By multiple NDAs I mean, NDAs pertaining to certain aspects of the game. Like, they might be able to show the KSC and parts lists on Monday and have to wait until Wednesday to show off a rocket launching, etc. 

Just now, The Aziz said:

You could get a bit of guest list just by looking at pictures. Me, not knowing anything about KSP youtubers/streamers, recognize only Scott Manley.

Also, I didn't know ESA has RGB powered pcs for mission control, guess LEDs give more delta v.

300% more don'tcha know. 

9 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

This image was on a background banner at the event.. what is that?

Screenshot-2023-02-10-16-44-45-74-0b2fce

Real life patches, probably for ESA missions of something. How do I know that? If you look closely at the blurry white things, you can read Mars, Asteroids (I think), Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.

Edited by The Aziz

2 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Apparently this is the beginning of a marketing campaign. It is strange that there is a ban on any information about the game. Why then were they invited?

So they could play the game and get recordings of it for when the NDA drops off. 

2 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Apparently this is the beginning of a marketing campaign. It is strange that there is a ban on any information about the game. Why then were they invited?

Because they're supposed to preview it at a specific time.

3 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

to know first to understand how it will work before everyone else

CC's need to know before the players can play, i can assume CC's will get time to create videos on the DAY of release due to its "free marketing"

This is a continuation of the marketing campaign (whatever opinions you may have on its scope and success), and issuing embargoes and NDAs on information is common practice for any new product, especially in the computer software/hardware industry. 

4 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Because they're supposed to preview it at a specific time.

Where is the logic? Two weeks before the release, what will the phrase "the game flies on weak computers" change? Is this going to lead to a collapse in sales or what? It’s like this, because it’s necessary, don’t ask questions, do the authorities know better? I seriously don't understand.

Its important to note that anything regarding NDA is speculation, its possible that there's no NDA and none of them have finished there recap videos yet. That being said,

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Leaks? We'll get none. Everyone at that event is under NDA until a specific date and time. They leak, they get sued. Impressions? We'll get videos about that soon enough. Every content creator will be posting vids once NDA is up. Though, if they are under multiple NDAs, the content might be sparse. By multiple NDAs I mean, NDAs pertaining to certain aspects of the game. Like, they might be able to show the KSC and parts lists on Monday and have to wait until Wednesday to show off a rocket launching, etc. 

I highly doubt the NDA is like that. In the past theyve been pretty liberal about what content creators can say about exclusive events (See shadowzone recap video about interview). Not to mention the fact that we are two weeks from release and this drip feed is far less needed. In my view there are three likely outcomes.

1. No NDA, I think this is unlikely but definitely possible. We've seen images and stuff from the event, but we havent seen a recap video yet simply because most of the youtubers are flying back from amsterdam/still in amsterdam chilling.

2. Blanket NDA on any ksp2 related content regarding the event until a set date, I think this is the most likely possibility. This NDA would be to make it not be a rush to upload ksp2 content as soon as possible and give content creators time to polish and refine there videos. My bet for if there's a NDA here it would be set aside sooner then later, maybe next Friday to keep with the big reveals being on friday theme? Or could be sooner like wednesday.

3. Separate NDA for gameplay footage and recap videos, its highly likely the content creators have footage of the game as we saw webcams on the computers, but maybe they can only show this footage after some time. Personally I think this is unlikely considering the way theyve treated this type of stuff in the past.

Edited by Strawberry

10 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

image.png

Unsure if the gameplay they played counts as content or as a gameplay stream (as they could mean livestream by gameplay stream). We will definitely get videos from it.

This sounds like they got to watch a demo more than anything; maybe - just maybe - a 'here, sit here and play this while we make sure you're not recording anything' so they can give firsthand impressions.  They might all get a 'content creator' pack of materials from the dev team, meaning you can watch several different folks' interpretations of the same game content.  I've seen this in other games where CCs were invited to 'play a demo level' or first stage of a game and then allowed to show that.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

8 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

This sounds like they got to watch a demo more than anything; maybe - just maybe - a 'here, sit here and play this while we make sure you're not recording anything' so they can give firsthand impressions.  They might all get a 'content creator' pack of materials from the dev team, meaning you can watch several different folks' interpretations of the same game content.  I've seen this in other games where CCs were invited to 'play a demo level' or first stage of a game and then allowed to show that.

We know they definitely played the game on computers with webcams, no clue if they were limited to only going to like the mun or something. Also a lot of the wording in that conversation implies that the NDA is released by friday so expect to see content dropped then

I wouldn't say this is some sort of confirmation the game is gonna be hard on PC's but not a good sign considering they described "high power" as "necessary". If that's the case looks like I'm gonna be met with an exploded PC on launch day. Then again it also mentioned "top performance" at one point so maybe my potato will only cook a little :sticktongue:

2 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

I wouldn't say this is some sort of confirmation the game is gonna be hard on PC's but not a good sign considering they described "high power" as "necessary". If that's the case looks like I'm gonna be met with an exploded PC on launch day. Then again it also mentioned "top performance" at one point so maybe my potato will only cook a little :sticktongue:

Considering how confident Nate was about their ability of optimizing the game using updated techniques and being able to properly use threads and specially how mid-high machines would work better with KSP2 than how they did with KSP1 it'd be a total let down to find out you need an actual NASA PC to run it, which I think won't be the case (unless you opt for ultra graphics probably, there's gotta be a reason for why they pulled the launch from PS4 generation consoles)

10 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Everyone at that event is under NDA until a specific date and time. They leak, they get sued.

I'm not saying there's no financial penalty, but a very large part of the carrot and stick will be that the creators involved will only ride the KSP2 gravy train as long as they play along. These are all, in that sense, professionals. I can see a couple of things Intercept will want to hash out/coordinate:

• Timing — the most obvious one. Nothing in this suggests that we will see guarantee that  content will appear before the release, but with the publicity given to this preview event I wouldn't exclude it either. Probably one week before release, not earlier
  • Feedback — of course by now it should work but nothing is more embarrassing than the game freezing up on Twitch while half the KSP world is watching. So they'll probably get a week of installing + playtesting first, and a zoom meeting with the dev team to discuss what's encountered. Zoom meetings go a lot better with people you've interacted face-to-face with, a benefit of the meeting they did
  • Coordination — while it's not in Intercept's best interests to dictate what's streamed and recorded, there will be some, let's say, "guidelines." Likely stuff that doesn't need to be said, but corporate CYA demands it (no politics, no adult acts, etc). I don't think they're going to be pointing out what the exciting new features are; if you believe in your product, that won't be necessary.

14 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

I'm in the same boat.  I got a decent CPU and plenty of RAM in my laptop, but only an Intel UHD Graphics 620 (it's rough I know).  Seeing things like that or the earlier pre-alpha footage with insane graphics worries me.  However, stuff we've seen recently gives me hope that potatoes will be able to run KSP2 at least at low settings.  PC upgrades can come later.

34 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

This is marketing on XMGs part, Im pretty sure they meant necessary as in to show off the game well. Someone tracked down the gpu of the computer and its a 4090, and a good one at that. If you dont know what that is, its literally top of the line. I seriously doubt that youll need a gpu worth 2 grand to play ksp2. 

3 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Timing — the most obvious one. Nothing in this suggests that we will see guarantee that content will appear before the release, but with the publicity given to this preview event I wouldn't exclude it either. Probably one week before release, not earlier

While it wasn't explicitly promised, someone from PD did say that content creators will be able to release footage early, it was said on Discord. I think it was PD Dakota, iirc. Either them or Ghostii.

9 hours ago, snkiz said:

Some german PC builder sponsored the event.

You put Aziz's quote as mine. :D

Edited by GoldForest