[1.12] Other Worlds - A Story and Planet Mod

Pkmniako

c5LI2QA.png

Yes, you heard that right! A story mode! Unlike previous planet mods, this doesn't limit itself to background lore that you might find in science descriptions, this is a full blown story with new gameplay mechanics to back it up.

DOWNLOAD & source (Github) (Current version 1.0.2, Requires Kopernicus)
Also on CKAN!
Check the Webpage for a map of the planetary system!
If you like this mod, you can also donate (Totally not a surprise in that link)!

THE PLANETS
All the new planets orbit the star of Cercani, an orange dwarf at the not-very far distance of 3.2 Tm away from Kerbin. It has 5 planets orbiting it, ranging from the deadly heat of Troni to the icy landscapes of Secunda

But how do the planets loo...

8gXt2QI.jpg
The whole Cercani system, with all the 5/6 planets and 8/9 moons

reBkWAM.png

In this mod, you will be able to explore all these bodies at your heart's content, but not only that, they hold a secret...

Want to know more about the planets? Check this animated system map!

THE STORY MODE
The thing that makes this mod so special is the fact it has a full blown story mode! What's the story about? The only thing I will tell you is to look at the trailer. The rest, you will have to discover it yourself, we don't want any spoilers floating around after all. It does have ingame music though...

The important thing you have to know is to look carefuly at the map view of the planets, one might have a marker to the start of it all...

CONTRIBUTORS
Though I've done most of the content for this mod, I've used help from some friends!
- @Beale: Texturing help with a very specific model (spoilers?)
- @DibzNr: Science Experiment Descriptions

OTHER DETAILS
VISUAL MODS
These planets have comptability for ScattererEVE (Non Volumetric) & Parallax (Terrain Only). If you have them installed, you will be able to see the planets in far more beauty than before.
TODO LIST
- Parallax Scatterers comptability
- Finish all science experiment descriptions
BUNDLED MODS
This mod bundles another 2 mods, those being VertexMitchellNetravaliHeightMap and CTTP
CHANGELOG
Other Worlds has been a mod that's been in development for many years now. This changelog has every single change that has happened to its reboot version, that started in 2017.

Spoiler

- Story Mode
        - Added a pop-out window on new saves to indicate what to do to start the story
        - Added other pop-outs
        - Rephrased a clue due to imprecision
     - Fixes
        - Lowered the terrain quality of C4-2 to avoid some clipping.

- Fixes
        - Fixed (hopefuly) parallax configuration overriding other mod's configurations for the same mod
        - Made parallax configuration for C2-1 less laggy
        - Partly removed kopernicus debugging things

- Story Mode
        - Added a story mode to the mod
    - Celestial Bodies
        - Usage of a smoother heightmap PQS mod
        - Complete Redesign of Troni
        - Complete Redesign of Kevari
        - New look for Prima and Secunda
        - New look for Nienna
        - Addition of new features to Pequar
        - Colormap changes for Vassa (Some regions are not on ice)
        - Colormap changes for C2-1 (Reintrodution of Green Substrate)
        - Biomes for C2-1
        - Biomes for C3-1
        - Biomes for Secunda
        - New Biomes for Troni
        - New Biomes for Prima
        - Added a lot of science experiment definitions (Courtesy of DibzNr)
    - Gameplay
        - Changed the Science points obtained from experiments
        - Adjusted contract weights so no exoplanet appears as random stock contracts
    - EVE (Clouds)
        - New Aurora for Pequar
        - Sand stream for Pequar
        - Made Scatter-less Atmospheric effects less powerful
    - Fixes
        - Biomes now have fixed internal names
        - Prima and Secunda now have more predictable vessel paths
        - C2-1 and C3-1 made smaller to have big, non-buggy Spheres of Influence
        - Reduced terrain quality on C2-1, reducing kraken attacks
        - Removed some seams on some cloud maps
    - Other
        - Most textures now use the OnDemand system, though not all

- 0.5.0 Beta
    - Celestial Bodies
        - Moved Cercani to its spot in IC 
        - Cercani is now at a distance of 3.2 ki (3.2*10^13 m) away from home
        - Added asteroidal moon C4-1 orbiting Nienna
        - Added asteroidal moon C4-2 orbiting Nienna
        - Revamped Niko's map to have a better fitting look
        - Nienna's moons' orbits have been tweaked
        - Decreased the mass of Crons
        - Prima and Secunda are now proper binaries
        - Localization of planet's descriptions and names (French and Russian)
        - Non-Scatterer atmospheric effect if only using EVE (Credits go to JadeOfMaar)
        - Updated Atmospheres of all the planets. Now these work with Sigma Dimensions
        - Added Orbital Icons that were teased with the implementation of the feature
        - Changed Cercani's Rotation period
        - Changed Pequar's Surface Pressure to 0.2 atm
        - Changed Disole's Surface Pressure to 1.7 atm
        - Refined C2-1's and C3-1's color textures
    - Gameplay
        - Medium sized Laser Sails
        - Laser Generator
        - Easy to use UI
        - Ability to slow down a sail with lasers
        - Addition of ContractConfigurator contracts for exploration of interstellar space
        - Ore, CRP Resources and Classic Resources Distribution on all planets
    - Fixes
        - Fixed Scatterer-OnDemand loading bug. Even faster loading.
        - Fixed Non-Scatterer flare
        - Fixed Cercani's size and mass problem
        - Fixed strage sphere orbiting Nienna
        - Fixed Atmospheric Rims on some of the planets
        - Fixed weird coloring on some planets' surfaces
        - Fixed some biome maps
        - Fixed some real-scaled space transitions
    - Other
        - French/Spanish/Russian translation of Part Descriptions/Names & Planet Descriptions/Biomes (Thanks to Arthur (FR) and Zarbon (RU) for their respective translations!)
        - Compatibility with Interstellar Consortium
        - Better organization of folders
        - Fixed possible cause of incompatibility with SVE
- 0.4.3 Alpha
    - Added OnDemand loading. Less RAM usage
    - Fixed C2-1 and C3-1, now you can actually land on them!
    - Changed Vassa's Colormap, now with very nice gradients between grey and white
    - Changed Disole's Cliff color, now darker than the surroundings
    - Fixed Troni's biomes. More fixes for Troni will come soon
- 0.4.2 Alpha
    - Finished Crons Color and Height maps (Finalized design)
    - Transformed most planet textures into .dds -> Faster Loading!
    - Added Compatibility with Kopernicus Expansion: Troni's lava glows on the dark
    - Biomes Maps for Crons and Troni (Functionality in later not yet implemented)
    - New Orbits for the planets, very similar but balanced, mainly inclinations
    - Removed weird polar asteroid belt around Cercani
    - Added proper asteroid belts around Cercani (Inner, Middle and Outer/Scattered)
- 0.4.1 Alpha
    - 1.4.3 Compatible
    - Fixed ground textures and shininess
    - Added cirrus clouds to Nienna
    - Redid Inter-Vision's Flag. Now it doesn't say "Ointer". And OWR's flag too...
- 0.4 Alpha
    - Balanced the part costs of the laser sail, so now it makes more sense in career mode!
    - Put the parts of the laser sail in the correct spots in the RnD Tech Tree
    - Added Kevari, Crons, Niko, Prima and Secunda, though not in their best states.
    - Added aurorae to Pequar (Currntly green, may change color to red)
    - Added a RCS pack for the sail, so to manouver better and pinpoint flybies (Needs some work)
    - Now OWR uses CTTP v1.0.3 onwards
    - SigmaLoadingScreens compatible
- 0.3 Alpha
    - Added Nienna
    - Added the SPRITE parts (Project Breakthrough Starshot Laser Sail)
    - Shenanigans with Disole's cloud colors
    - Tweaked Cercani's Sunflare
- 0.2 Alpha
    - Now for 1.3.1
    - Cercani was moved 10 times closed to Kerbol
    - Pequar, Disole and C3-1 are added.
    - Removed EVE shadows compatibility due to bugs.
- 0.1.1 Alpha
    - Added Troni... again.
- 0.1 Alpha
    - Added Cercani
    - Not Added Troni
    - Added Vassa
    - Added C2-1

KNOWN BUGS
- Sometimes, walking kerbals might clip into the ground and die. This could be either the custom PQS mod being used or a bug relating to Kopernicus itself. Quicksaving is recommended
- Main menu buttons are offsetted from the text. Unknown if this is due to the planet configuration files or Kopernicus, once again.
ScanSAT can be used to skip parts of the story. If you use this mode, please, disable anomaly detection.

LICENSE
This mod is licensed under two licenses, one specific for each part of the mod:
- The C# code of the mod is licensed under MIT
- Dialogue and everything else (This includes textures, models, music, etc.) falls under ARR

Edited by Pkmniako
CKAN

I've been wanting something like this for a good long while. Unfortunately time is very hard to come by as of late, but I will hopefully be able to dig into this on Sunday. With the name and the music it can't be a coincidence that I'm picking up Outer Wilds vibes.

In the event that I turn my playthrough into a video series, is it ok if I open with the trailer?

The mod requires the newer version of scatterer.  nothing happens with the old one. But OMP requires the older version as the atmospheres are all borked up in the newer version. So i cant use them both at once.

I could maybe update the mod just before going there since i wont be visiting the OMP planets anymore. Would anything break if i send a probe to the old system then update? It would take 3 fission fragment srbs and 20 years so im not sure i even want to send a probe.

Also could Vessa get scaled space clouds? Running EVE on integrated graphics is probably not very good for the framerate.

Hello! I am attempting to get this to work, but I am having some issues - TLDR, trying to power a craft with a ground based laser is crashing the game.

Spoiler

I am playing in sandbox mode if that matters.

When crossing over into the SOI of the new star, the game doesn't outright crash but it goes down to like one frame every 10 seconds until I force quit it. Granted, I only tried this once, the next time I went to the tracking station for the transition and it worked. This was with a simple sprite craft.

Second, and the more pressing issue, I was messing around with lasers trying to figure out how I would slow down once I arrive at the new star. My setup consisted of two craft:

1, in Low Kerbin Orbit, with just a large laser sail and not much else (a few probe parts)

2, on the runway, with a laser generator, probe parts, 64 fuel cells for power, and a fuel tank for the fuel cells.

I open the laser control window on the orbiting craft, successfully deploy the laser sail, and select the runway laser as my power source (it says gen 0.5 whatever that means). The moment I hit run, the game crashes. Press it, immediate crash. Tried it again, same thing.

I then did a complete reinstallation of the game. Brand new install of 1.12.5, no DLCs, no mods other than Kopernicus, its requirements, this mod, and the stuff that comes bundled with this mod. I switched out the fuel cells for solar panels and did not turn on the laser before switching to the sail (which I had done previously). Again, when I pressed run, the game crashed.

22 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Hello! I am attempting to get this to work, but I am having some issues - TLDR, trying to power a craft with a ground based laser is crashing the game.

Reveal hidden contents

I am playing in sandbox mode if that matters.

When crossing over into the SOI of the new star, the game doesn't outright crash but it goes down to like one frame every 10 seconds until I force quit it. Granted, I only tried this once, the next time I went to the tracking station for the transition and it worked. This was with a simple sprite craft.

Second, and the more pressing issue, I was messing around with lasers trying to figure out how I would slow down once I arrive at the new star. My setup consisted of two craft:

1, in Low Kerbin Orbit, with just a large laser sail and not much else (a few probe parts)

2, on the runway, with a laser generator, probe parts, 64 fuel cells for power, and a fuel tank for the fuel cells.

I open the laser control window on the orbiting craft, successfully deploy the laser sail, and select the runway laser as my power source (it says gen 0.5 whatever that means). The moment I hit run, the game crashes. Press it, immediate crash. Tried it again, same thing.

I then did a complete reinstallation of the game. Brand new install of 1.12.5, no DLCs, no mods other than Kopernicus, its requirements, this mod, and the stuff that comes bundled with this mod. I switched out the fuel cells for solar panels and did not turn on the laser before switching to the sail (which I had done previously). Again, when I pressed run, the game crashed.

Pass over the KSP.log file, but thanks for the heads up. The code that controls the lasers is from 2017, so things might have changed from then to now.

10 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

In the event that I turn my playthrough into a video series, is it ok if I open with the trailer?

I would be delighted if you made a playthrough, but I would recommend you to open with a spoiler warning more than anything. You can also open the video with the drawn part of the trailer if you want though, I think that would still fit. (And in fact, the drawn section originally I wanted to have it play ingame too, but ended up deciding it would be too annoying for people that just want planets)

1 hour ago, smothyhoo said:

Question, how do i install it?

Drop the 3 folders of the .zip inside GameData

9 hours ago, Solanum said:

Is there any discord for this mod? And i'm also having issues with it.

Yes, you can join it here if you feel better talking through a chat than the forums

11 hours ago, Sky Kerman said:

Is this a homeswitch mod?

No

Is this compatible with OPM or other Kopernicus modifications of the Kerbol system? How about a general 2.5 rescale, as so many of us like? Is it explicitly incompatible with any mod(s) in particular?

I really love the whole concept. It looks like something fantastic to work toward after unlocking most of the tech tree and exploring the home system.

1 hour ago, White Owl 2 said:

Is this compatible with OPM or other Kopernicus modifications of the Kerbol system? How about a general 2.5 rescale, as so many of us like? Is it explicitly incompatible with any mod(s) in particular?

I really love the whole concept. It looks like something fantastic to work toward after unlocking most of the tech tree and exploring the home system.

It's compatible with OPM, as they don't intersect any spheres of influence. Rescale it could work, I'm not very famirialized with it. Part of the code is set to scale with the scale of the universe. I know someone who is trying it in rescale and appears to work so far, but can't say anything more.

9 hours ago, Pkmniako said:

Pass over the KSP.log file, but thanks for the heads up. The code that controls the lasers is from 2017, so things might have changed from then to now.

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/743vovgrwwry6mn/KSP.log?dl=0

It cuts off saying it is searching for vessels with a generator (there is definitely one on the runway, and it showed up in the GUI).

Also here is the save link: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/0z2x48whndmrfomqtprt1/h?dl=0&rlkey=yec1b389csvzwoyeotphrs6wy