[1.12] Other Worlds - A Story and Planet Mod

Pkmniako

I just installed this mod, and I want to do a career mode playthrough, I know that there is a story mode so I don't want to be spoiled haha, but is there a way to get to the system w/o warpdrives? I just wanna know so I can install it now.

This is a really cool mod, so thanks in advance haha!

May I ask what you recommend as far as interstellar transportation goes? It seems like it is supposed to be done with the lasers. In order to have reasonable travel times as I found with the sprites, you have to be going really fast (multiple tens of kilometers per second). This brings the problem of slowing down at the other end, as you would need stacks of xenon to be able to slow down from those velocities. The solution I thought was obvious was to bring a laser to the Cercani system.

I did some LKO testing, and wow, the laser power drops off very quickly, like halfway to the Mun and I wasn't getting any reasonable acceleration from my space based laser. No biggie, I thought, I just need to be extremely accurate when approaching Cercani, basically getting a really close approach with my deceleration laser.

As for how to get the laser there in the first place, I had the idea that I would drop off a sacrificial laser in front of me to slow me down.

TitXFET.png

This is the setup, it is about 40 tons, and only manages 0.2-0.5g or so using the KSC's lasers, which is not enough. I spent several minutes accelerating using the Kerbin lasers, and by the time the acceleration dwindled down to nothing due to distance, I was still 500m/s short of Kerbol escape (and I had to sit there for several minutes spam buying time on the KSC laser, if I was in career it would have been several tens of millions of funds if not more).

Is there a way to upgrade the lasers? I notice my space based lasers say 0.5 gen next to them. Is there a way to upgrade them that I missed? I have not been to Cercani yet except with a very inaccurate sprite flyby.

Even when I get there I doubt my ship lasers will do much to slow me down, as I was only getting 0.003g from my orbiting laser out of this thing.

Am I completely missing the intended method to get places? Or are the travel times supposed to be measured in centuries?

Basically, what am I missing?

12 hours ago, HPR69 said:

I just installed this mod, and I want to do a career mode playthrough, I know that there is a story mode so I don't want to be spoiled haha, but is there a way to get to the system w/o warpdrives? I just wanna know so I can install it now.

This is a really cool mod, so thanks in advance haha!

You can get there without Warp Drives, in fact, you can get there with stock parts (Though KSP won't like the fact that it takes like 1000 years to get there). You can install high ISP mods like Far Future Technologies to ease the travel there.

11 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Am I completely missing the intended method to get places? Or are the travel times supposed to be measured in centuries?

Basically, what am I missing?

Laser sails are a early game method of exploring other stars, not the main way to go there. You can use mods like Far Future Technologies, which add engines with brutal ISP ranges, to properly explore them.

7 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Is there JNSQ support?

Because JNSQ doesn't scale the planets, they are just bigger, if you use this mod with it, the new planets will still be stock sized. From what I've been told, JNSQ also uses an older version of scatterer, so be mindful of that!

14 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Is there JNSQ support?

This SigmaDimensions config should work (it only scales OtherWorlds planets):

Spoiler
@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
	@Body:HAS[#identifier[OWR/*]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
			{

@Resize = 2.5
				@Rescale = 2.5
				@Atmosphere = 1.04         //Total Atmo scale = Atmosphere * atmoTopLayer = 1.144 ~ 8/7 (since Kerbin's atmo was scaled by 8/7 in JNSQ)
				@dayLengthMultiplier = 2

@atmoTopLayer = 1.1
				@atmoVisualEffect = 1.04
			}
	}
}

Note that all landscape is scaled by 2.5 - mountains may be too high on some bodies

1.0.1 Patch

- Fixes
        - Fixed (hopefuly) parallax configuration overriding other mod's configurations for the same mod
        - Made parallax configuration for C2-1 less laggy
        - Partly removed kopernicus debugging things

18 hours ago, Pkmniako said:

You can get there without Warp Drives, in fact, you can get there with stock parts (Though KSP won't like the fact that it takes like 1000 years to get there). You can install high ISP mods like Far Future Technologies to ease the travel there.

Makes sense, I was really confused on how stock would work lol

19 hours ago, Pkmniako said:

Roger that, installing near future stuff now. I was totally ready to try to cram everything needed into 2 ton packages though! :D

The best mods reach god status just before KSP 2's early access comes around, luckily for us the FULL release of KSP 2 is still a long way off, so I think I might have to explore this - it's just far too intriguing not to! I've a question though - do you reckon the new celestial bodies are at all compatible with things like USI Colonization mods?

15 hours ago, N9 Gaming said:

The best mods reach god status just before KSP 2's early access comes around, luckily for us the FULL release of KSP 2 is still a long way off, so I think I might have to explore this - it's just far too intriguing not to! I've a question though - do you reckon the new celestial bodies are at all compatible with things like USI Colonization mods?

The planets have Community Resource Pack resources, but I haven't checked the configurations in a long time

1.0.2 Patch

- Story Mode
        - Added a pop-out window on new saves to indicate what to do to start the story
        - Added other pop-outs
        - Rephrased a clue due to imprecision
- Fixes
        - Lowered the terrain quality of C4-2 to avoid some clipping.

Now on new savefiles (Or savefiles that haven't been played with the mod), this little screen will pop out to guide a bit the journey of the players. You can read it now if you want. Don't worry, it's not a spoiler.

image.png

Edited by Pkmniako

1.0.3 Patch

- Story Mode
    - One signal's range made bigger
    - Made a clue slightly better
- Fixes
    - Fixed lights from vessels showing up when reading signals

On 2/18/2023 at 5:00 AM, Rocket Science42 said:

im having an issue with the sunflares around kerbol not showing up

here is my KSP log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j75lrj05nllqvhf/KSP.log?dl=0

I'm going to honest with you. I don't know where to start, the log is 99% spam of the same sentence.

Edited by Pkmniako

On 2/17/2023 at 11:00 PM, Rocket Science42 said:

im having an issue with the sunflares around kerbol not showing up

idk anything about your sunflare but it looks like you have an old copy of ACK, (Benjee10_Orion) which likely means you're out of date on sharedAssets, too. This should fix a message being spammed in your log file about bones. 

On 2/10/2023 at 1:53 PM, Pkmniako said:

ScanSAT can be used to skip parts of the story. If you use this mode, please, disable anomaly detection.

I'm currently using ScanSAT but I do not see this setting anywhere, do you mean "Disable Stock Scanning"?

21 hours ago, Njal2001 said:

I'm currently using ScanSAT but I do not see this setting anywhere, do you mean "Disable Stock Scanning"?

its not like you can do it by accident. the parts with anomaly scanning capability are huge, you wouldnt include them if that wasnt your goal. but you should disable stock scanning anyway.

I've slowly trickled my way to completing this, but for the past week I've been stuck on this one. 

Spoiler

How are you supposed to activate the pillar on Disole? I just got the thing from the northern crater but I don't know what I'm supposed to do, am I just supposed to ignore it for now?

Edited by HPR69
minor spelling mistakes

23 hours ago, HPR69 said:

I've slowly trickled my way to completing this, but for the past week I've been stuck on this one. 

Reveal hidden contents

How are you supposed to activate the pillar on Disole? I just got the thing from the northern crater but I don't know what I'm supposed to do, am I just supposed to ignore it for now?

I've decided to progress a little despite that

Spoiler

and the same thing happens when I trekked across to crons spike, I also traveled back to the main spike, and nothing, do you think this is an issue because I'm using the replica?

Edited by HPR69

• 2 weeks later...

Encountering a bizarre bug where this mod just causes the R&D Center Archives to break. I've narrowed it down to Other Worlds, and tested it on new save files. It's definitely this mod that's causing it.

The archives are always empty, even when I perform research, and Wernher is always replaced with this odd sprite of a Kerbal.

I've also posted this issue to the Github, but I'm sharing it here for extra visibility.

FyjxPVw.png

Hi, I'm getting some errors with the OWR contracts.

Example:

Spoiler

[ERR 16:53:49.957] ContractConfigurator.RemoteTech.HasAntennaFactory: CONTRACT_TYPE 'OWR_OrangeCandle', PARAMETER 'HasAntenna' of type 'HasAntenna': Error parsing antennaType

[EXC 16:53:49.960] ArgumentException: Requested value 'TRANSMIT' was not found.
    System.Enum+EnumResult.SetFailure (System.Enum+ParseFailureKind failure, System.String failureMessageID, System.Object failureMessageFormatArgument) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    System.Enum.TryParseEnum (System.Type enumType, System.String value, System.Boolean ignoreCase, System.Enum+EnumResult& parseResult) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, System.Boolean ignoreCase) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.EnumExpressionParser`1[T].ParseIdentifier (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.BaseParser+Token token) (at <7cf636bf2f2f4038af6634d8e4f57459>:0)
    ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseVarOrIdentifier (ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.BaseParser+Token token) (at <7cf636bf2f2f4038af6634d8e4f57459>:0)
    ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseSimpleStatement[TResult] () (at <7cf636bf2f2f4038af6634d8e4f57459>:0)
    ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseStatementInner[TResult] () (at <7cf636bf2f2f4038af6634d8e4f57459>:0)
    ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseStatement[TResult] () (at <7cf636bf2f2f4038af6634d8e4f57459>:0)
    ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) (at <7cf636bf2f2f4038af6634d8e4f57459>:0)
    Rethrow as Exception: Error parsing statement.
    Error occurred near '*':
    TRANSMIT
    ........* <-- HERE
    ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.ExpressionParser`1[T].ParseExpression (System.String key, System.String expression, ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.DataNode dataNode) (at <7cf636bf2f2f4038af6634d8e4f57459>:0)
    ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseSingleValue[T] (System.String key, System.String stringValue, System.Boolean allowExpression) (at <7cf636bf2f2f4038af6634d8e4f57459>:0)
    ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[T] (ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, System.Boolean allowExpression) (at <7cf636bf2f2f4038af6634d8e4f57459>:0)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[T] (ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, System.Boolean allowExpression) (at <7cf636bf2f2f4038af6634d8e4f57459>:0)
    ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[T] (ConfigNode configNode, System.String key, System.Action`1[T] setter, ContractConfigurator.IContractConfiguratorFactory obj, T defaultValue, System.Func`2[T,TResult] validation) (at <7cf636bf2f2f4038af6634d8e4f57459>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    ContractConfigurator.LoggingUtil:LogException(Exception)
    ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory, Nullable`1, Func`2)
    ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil:ParseValue(ConfigNode, String, Action`1, IContractConfiguratorFactory, Nullable`1)
    ContractConfigurator.RemoteTech.HasAntennaFactory:Load(ConfigNode)
    ContractConfigurator.ParameterFactory:GenerateParameterFactory(ConfigNode, ContractType, ParameterFactory&, ParameterFactory)
    ContractConfigurator.ContractType:Load(ConfigNode)
    ContractConfigurator.<LoadContractTypeConfig>d__31:MoveNext()
    ContractConfigurator.<FinalizeContractTypeLoad>d__30:MoveNext()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

KSP.log