Dreaming Big - Supersized International Space Station (SISS) (ISS Alternate History concept)

GoldForest

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Concerns expressed by the public

YAY! 

Security of human spaceflight prevails once again! 

Now to completely ground, or at least ban humans from that pesky Flying Death Machine Space Shuttle.

1 hour ago, ra4nd0m said:

YAY! 

Security of human spaceflight prevails once again! 

Now to completely ground, or at least ban humans from that pesky Flying Death Machine Space Shuttle.

The space shuttle is as safe as any other form of space travel imo. Edit: Well, it's more dangerous, yes, but at the same time, just as safe. The LES could, theoretically, fail on a crew capsule.

Also, crewed Ares will return. :P

Edited by GoldForest

SISS 11: JAXA Kibo Module - March 23rd, 1990

Flown by: STS Enterprise + Aardvark Tug

SISS 11 marks the return to flight of Space Shuttle Enterprise. Enterprise had been the victim of human error and had to make a crash landing in the ocean. Thanks to some great piloting by the commander, Enterprise survived the ordeal, though suffered major damage to several areas. A heft rebuild and refit was carried out to bring the very first space shuttle back online. Although, Enterprise would not visit SISS herself, she did help launch the JAXA Kibo module into orbit. Aardvark took over duty of delivery once Enterprise detached to do her own mission. Enterprise's mission was to conduct on orbit experiments in low orbit. 

Aardvark met with SISS, in which she detached Kibo and let the custom tug take over docking. Due to Kibo's unique setup, Aardvark had to be mounted to the docking port meant to be used to dock Kibo to the station. A custom tug was constructed to allow docking.

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

kcjHvEk.png

G2B5amC.png

XBubjdq.png

ahpZotm.png

P1a353m.png

dl6H0ek.png

NIQAHsU.png

Here's a teaser, and let's do a little game for this one. 

The first person to guess the launch vehicle will get to choose the payload for the next launch. The second person to guess the launch vehicle will get to choose the launch vehicle for said payload. If only one person guesses the launch vehicle, they will get to choose both the payload and the launch vehicle for the next launch. 

*payload restrictions apply. Launch vehicle restrictions also apply.*

Okay, here's the image:

Y5Fg5Zl.png

Edited by GoldForest

My guess is the Ares V/Ares IV Or NLS-1.

From the fact you have used the Ares I It seems to me Nasa is going ahead with the Constellation Program in this alt history.

It would also make sense for them to have a test flight of it before its launch

BUT the fuel tanks are from ORANGES used for making NLS rockets so that makes it very probable to be NLS-1.

(Or it could be DIRECT nothing Preventing that)

Or it could be NLS-1 Although i doubt that a bit as its quite an obscure rocket (cant be NLS-2 BC it has boosters)

It also cant be anything side mounted due to the fact nothings on its side (duh)

It also is most likely not SLS due to it not using ACK's SLS tanks (Also cant be SLS Block 2 due to it not useing BOLE I would assume with the budget that nasa has in this alternate universe they would go directly to Bock 2 and not use Block 1/1B).

TLDR; Most likely Ares V/IV or NLS-1 those are my biggest bets but you can never remove DIRECT from the picture.

Edited by Royalswissarmyknife

Probably should have said one guess per user, but I'm not going to change it now.

Congrats @Davi SDF and @Royalswissarmyknife you both guessed right. It is DIRECTv3 Jupiter 130. 

Davi, you get to choose the payload. Choose any current or cancelled payload from here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_of_the_International_Space_Station

Swiss, you get to choose the rocket. Choose from any American or Russian rocket or concept from 2000s or earlier. I would prefer the rocket match the payload, i.e. International Segment payload on American rocket, Russian with Russian, but you can go ahead and mix and match if you want.

22 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Probably should have said one guess per user, but I'm not going to change it now.

Congrats @Davi SDF and @Royalswissarmyknife you both guessed right. It is DIRECTv3 Jupiter 130. 

Davi, you get to choose the payload. Choose any current or cancelled payload from here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_of_the_International_Space_Station

Swiss, you get to choose the rocket. Choose from any American or Russian rocket or concept from 2000s or earlier. I would prefer the rocket match the payload, i.e. International Segment payload on American rocket, Russian with Russian, but you can go ahead and mix and match if you want.

I wasn't even going to add DIRECT but decided to anyways made a good choice. :sticktongue:

Now I will have to figure out the lore of NASA not using Ares 5. :confused: (although....)

I will wait until the payload is decided though to pick my rocket (Don't want to launch a Space Shuttle on a Scout ;) )

22 minutes ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

I wasn't even going to add DIRECT but decided to anyways made a good choice. :sticktongue:

Now I will have to figure out the lore of NASA not using Ares 5. :confused: (although....)

I will wait until the payload is decided though to pick my rocket (Don't want to launch a Space Shuttle on a Scout ;) )

Space Shuttle isn't a payload, so I don't think you have to worry about that and good lord, please pick a rocket that can actually perform! :D 

1 hour ago, Davi SDF said:

@GoldForestI would like to chose the JEM remote manipulator system (JEMRMS) for the Kibo module.

Thank you for letting me chose!

Ugh... I think that requires me to relaunch Kibo then, not sure if the robotic parts are cargo compatible. I'll check once my KSP install finally loads. 

I also was trying to avoid robotics since they are a tad glitchy, hence why I don't use them on the shuttles and instead use tugs.

Also also, I try to avoid orbital construction (Stock or KAS) since it too can be glitchy. 

Edit: Alright, the robtics are cargo compatible... ugh, that means I have to do orbital construction... *facedesk*

Edited by GoldForest

SISS 12: P4 + P5 Solar Truss - April 12th, 1990

Flown by DirectV3 Jupiter 130 + Aardvark

With SISS 12, the international segment of SISS finally gets its own dedicated solar power generation after a delay with the P3 truss segment. The delay was due to the solar panels of the P4 truss and the solar panels of Mok-1 segment possibly colliding with each other. P3 was redesigned to be twice the original length to allow P4 to clear Mok's solar panels. 

P4+P5 truss segments were sent up via DirectV3 Jupiter 130 and Aardvark Tug. The DirectV3 Jupiter series wasn't chosen for the Mun missions, but NASA saw the potential of the Jupiter series to be a heavy lift LEO launch vehicle, able to carry the big and heavy modules of the SISS station. The possibility of crew rating the Jupiter 130 is also in consideration, replacing Ares I as a SISS crew transport. There are also 3 new shuttles in development. STS Blk II, Shuttle II and Munar Shuttle. NASA has yet to endorse any of the shuttles, but has high hopes for the three projects. STS Blk I will remain in service until a replacement has been chosen from either STS Blk II or Shuttle II. STS Blk II is basically STS Blk I, but with the SRBs replaced with LRBs for more abort scenarios. Shuttle II is a completely redesigned shuttle. Shuttle II also has two configurations. STS stack configuration and an experimental over the wing fuel tank configuration. NASA is skeptical of the over the wing tank configuration, but will allow it to proceed as Shuttle II will be able to autonomous and therefore, no risk to crew in case something were to go wrong.

Aardvark and Payload were successfully put into orbit by Jupiter 130 and Aardvark delivered the truss segments the next day. 

n0Ss2ZD.png

2W3NkLa.png

bdyS395.png

bA3sXOH.png

29yPEig.png

yXhDVJx.png

7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Ugh... I think that requires me to relaunch Kibo then, not sure if the robotic parts are cargo compatible. I'll check once my KSP install finally loads. 

I also was trying to avoid robotics since they are a tad glitchy, hence why I don't use them on the shuttles and instead use tugs.

Also also, I try to avoid orbital construction (Stock or KAS) since it too can be glitchy. 

Edit: Alright, the robtics are cargo compatible... ugh, that means I have to do orbital construction... *facedesk*

Could I bend the rules a bit and use a Japanese's Concept rocket? it makes some more sense for the Japanese's module.

32 minutes ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Could I bend the rules a bit and use a Japanese's Concept rocket? it makes some more sense for the Japanese's module.

Yeah, meant to tell you that you can actually use any rocket really. As long as I can make it with the mods I have. Or a part mod I can download.

Edited by GoldForest

16 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I am so sorry

SISS 13: Kibo ELM + Kibo Robotic Arm - May 1st, 1990

Flown by H-IIA + Prototype HTV Tug

Kapan enters the SISS construction project directly with a launch of their Kibo ELM module and JEMRMS aboard an H-IIA 212 carrying an early prototype HTV tug variant. The H-IIA 212 is Kapan's is an upgrade for the original H-II. The H-IIA family as a whole features a longer core than its predecessor, better engines and better boosters. The 212 model has 1 core, an LRB made up of a core, and 2 SRBs which are derived from the Peacekeeper ISBM's first stage. 

The 212 is a unique design in that it carries only 1 LRB, meaning the thrust is asymmetrical, even with the SRBs, though, the SRBs are more powerful than the LRB and thus push the rocket to fly sideways at launch. Gimballing of all engines quickly rights the craft though and it continues on its way as normal. At SRB sep, the LRB becomes the dominant force, pushing the rocket in the other direction, but again, high gimbaling corrects this. Due to the LRB having 2 engines instead of 1, the LRB burns out much faster than the core stage, allowing the core stage to continue on a little further. 

212 performed flawlessly, delivering HTV and her payloads into a high orbit, way higher than SISS. This allows SISS to catch up quickly with HTV for a quick rendezvous. 

After Kibo ELM was docked successfully, an engineer spacewalked out to Kibo to construct the robotic arm which was stored away inside HTV's cargo section.

@Davi SDF @Royalswissarmyknife

No more robotic missions... seriously, they are a pain... 

UfanxV9.png

yfnBVq5.png

SIvucUy.png

YiuwoOS.png

ek22xCa.png

ItstRdG.png

CY7bepa.png

Mbangau.png

Teaser: No game this time, but feel free to guess as to the rocket. 

8eBAubR.png

Edited by GoldForest

41 minutes ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Answer: You think anybody even has a idea what it is?

Yeah, the answer is on the screen. It's actually quite clear what the rocket is. I mean, I didn't hide the answer at all really. You should know beyond a shadow of a doubt what it is. :P

20 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Um… Ares V?

Nope.