Dreaming Big - Supersized International Space Station (SISS) (ISS Alternate History concept)

GoldForest

SISS 4: Z1 Truss - July 9th, 1989

Flown by Shuttle-C-S-IVC

With the Columbia grounded due to the accident investigation still going on with the Enterprise incident, and Challenger still in the process of being built, the launch of the Z1 Truss was moved from Columbia to Shuttle-C-S-IVC. The Shuttle-C-S-IVC was an expendable version of the Space Shuttle launch system, with a Saturn S-IVC atop the external tank. This vehicle was made to merge the Saturn program and Shuttle program to keep the hardware for Saturn around, at least the upper stage. The S-IVC was a true work horse and was very efficient. Plans were being drawn up for a version of the shuttle stack that removed the shuttle entirely and simply side-mounted the S-IVC in the shuttle's place. For now though, the Shuttle-C-S-IVC was the best option. 

On July 9th, 1989, the Shuttle-C-S-IVC lifted off the pad and began its journey to SISS. The payload consisted of an Aardvark Blk 2 tug version with the Z1 Truss atop it. 

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

ux3CSNT.png

RXRzai9.png

YpLKeUr.png

KIlJEJo.png

ZPWMii7.png

D8rMsx1.png

29 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

@GoldForestAmazing, totally unrealistic and utterly insane work! It is like any space nerd's dream: STS and Saturns both online  and operating together! In this timeline it seems like NASA found a way to get unlimited money to develop whatether they want whenever they want and I like it!

That's the beauty of alternative timelines. You can make anything happen because... well, it's alternate. Doesn't have to follow realism. 

And I wouldn't say unlimited, but definitely a bigger budget. *Cough*LikeTheEntireMilitaryBudgetAndMaybeThenSome*Cough* 

Also, the idea isn't that insane. We had the Saturn Shuttle. I just created the Shuttle Saturn. :P

Edited by GoldForest

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Doesn't have to follow realism. 

Well yeah 'cause after operating STS for a while NASA would just look at processing hell that STS was and insane pricing and would just pull the plug of this project especially after some kind of catastrophe struck and it's going to. You know Murphy's law + no LES.  Because why keep such a failed product when you have perfectly fine saturn around?

Edited by ra4nd0m

Expedition IE - August 22nd, 1989

Flown by MRK atop an Ariane 44L

In August of 1989, ESA launched its first fully crewed MRK, the destination, SISS. MRK carried 2 British Astronauts, 1 French Astronaut and 1 Italian astronaut to SISS.

(No real big story this time as it's just a crew launch, that and I'm tired, can't think of a story. If anyone wants to create a story for this launch, please, go ahead! I'll edit it in to this post)

WNGTKfi.png

DY5RZ84.png

w6qd0Uk.png

llJ2xk0.png

jxZHP8X.png

SISS 5: S0 Truss Segment - October 29th, 1989

Flown by Shuttle-C

With crewed Shuttle missions grounded pending the Enterprise accident investigation, the launch of the S0 truss segment was moved to Shuttle-C, the expendable space shuttle. A one off tug system was also devised since the Canadarm wouldn't be available.

(Again, no story, cause tired. If you want to make one, go ahead!)

EXenyFA.png

rXHZET5.png

2XjXry3.png

4fU81nu.png

(Opss... at least it didn't hit the shuttle. Also, the right engine wouldn't fire up for some reason. I found out why. It relies on a specific orientation... weird.)

yYqPf8M.png

O5tJAxU.png

8 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

Suggestion! Due to those all those shuttle problems, NASA decides to utilise older Saturn vehicles for next few launches to keep ISS assembly at pace, while the entire STS program undergoes massive scrutiny.

Shuttle will return after the next launch.

But they are going to use a new Shuttle Saturn derivative for said next launch. :wink:

SISS 6: S1 & P1 Truss Segment - November 13th, 1989

Flown by Shuttle-Saturn-B

The investigation into the Enterprise crash concluded and gave its results. The problem, obvious to most, was the poor weight management. Enterprise was too tail heavy, and the center of lift was in front of the center of mass, allowing for the flat spin to take place. New guidelines were proposed, which NASA took and applied, starting to retrofit Columbia as well as the rebuilt Enterprise. The shuttles were cleared to launch once the modifications were completed. 

Until then though, work on SISS had to resume. And resume it did, with the launch of the Shuttle-Saturn-B, a redesign of the Shuttle-Saturn A. Instead of flying the payload and S-IVC on top of the ET, they instead remove Shuttle-C and place the S-IVC and payload in its place, side mounting the pair. 

Due to weight problems, SS-B had a little difficulty since the COT and COM weren't lined up, but by rolling early, the craft was able to gimbal enough to compensate for the problem. NASA had anticipated this and trusted the computer to fly the craft, even with the COT+COM problem. Their trust was not unfounded. SS-B got into orbit just fine and proceeded to SISS. 

NASA did experiment with SS-B. Instead of including a purpose-built tug, they retrofitted the S-IVC to act like a tug. This proved to work out well, and may be used on later designs. 

NASA did notice a problem with the radiators though. They did work, there was nothing wrong with them, but they blocked the aft port and aft starboard ports. NASA got to work on a solution. 

944qIy0.png

GSYfzAQ.png

Ymp0bB8.png

QIjuTRu.png

6eZQVsl.png

aXQm6eD.png

3wABm5e.png

(It's not shown in this shot, but the nodes do become blocked when the rads are in full up and down mode. YOu could fit a small module in the space between the rad's outer circumference and the node, but I doubt IRL NASA would take that risk, so neither will I)

Edited by GoldForest

SISS 7: Enterprise (Rus) module - January 5th, 1990

Flown by Buran-Energia

Russia is known for ripping off other countries designs, so it's no surprise when the rumors of a Russian Space Shuttle turned out to be true. The Buran. While looking similar to the Space Shuttle, there were key major differences. The Buran was fully capable of launching, flying and landing itself. It could fly an entire mission without any crew on board, which greatly improved safety. The Buran also didn't have any engines, instead moving the engines from the orbiter to the Energia. Energia was much like the ET of the STS stack, using hyrdrolox to fuel its engines, at least the core engines. The boosters were liquid kerolox boosters, and instead of 2, there were 4. 

SISS 7 was the first crewed flight of the Buran too, housing cosmonauts on board. 

Buran lifted off and flew to SISS, delivering the Enterprise module. Due to Buran having no robotic manipulator and the station not having one either, the Enterprise module was fitted on top of a Progress resupply spacecraft and fitted with RCS thrusters so it could dock itself. 

Upon arrival, Buran had to wait while their comrades to move the Soyuz that was taking up the docking port that Enterprise was supposed to go to. It was supposed to be moved before Buran's arrival, but a debris field from a broken-up satellite gave the station a scare and everyone had to wait it out in their spacecrafts in case of emergency descent to Earth. Thankfully, SISS was able to maneuver outside of the trajected path and no debris hit the station. 

After the Soyuz was moved, Progress was released with Enterprise before the two were docked to SISS. Progress then immediately detached and deorbited while Buran went in for docking with the new Enterprise module. 

Z9sYYs0.png

yOnSlJ0.png

6Qnn8zN.png

TK3P9my.png

LlxhwBJ.png

FBWaHEn.png

(I think it goes without saying that these posts might slow down... a lot due to... well... I'm sure you can all guess. :P I'll try to do a post at least once a week, it not twice a week.)

(Also, Columbia will be going up as the very next mission, SISS 9. Don't know what module to send up though. I have to make a change to the solar truss, the MOK panels and the ISS panels kind of clip/collide. Current plan is just to extend it a little.)

Edited by GoldForest

Retcon: Expedition 1U Returns: November 17th, 1989

Flown by Apollo Blk V-MIV

After spending 6 months in space, the crew of Expedition 1U returned to Kerbin after a few days delay due to a storm in the recovery zone. Next United Kerbin crew will go up in late January aboard a new crew spacecraft. A temporary United Kerbin crew will be aboard SISS when Columbia launches in early January. 

Spoiler

DZFcgg9.png

INRiuAo.png

SISS 8: P2 Truss Segment - January 7th, 1990

Flown by Columbia - STS

Return to flight of the STS program with Columbia carrying the P2 Truss segment. 

Columbia lifted off the pad later afternoon. The shuttle had been retrofitted to decrease the weight in the back, installing smaller but still powerful engines for flight. 

Columbia released her payload when she was close to the station, holding back to allow Aardvark to dock the P2 truss to the truss structure. Afterwards, Columbia docked to the station. 

This was a momentous occasion, as not one, but two shuttles were docked to SISS right now. Columbia and Buran at once. This was also a test to see if SISS could hold up to the strain of having two large spacecraft at once. Things went well for the first few hours, but only time would tell if SISS was up to the task. 

wbyhNI0.png

6l20DFy.png

7eHgKaK.png

MJB3KG8.png

mMK1lIE.png

O9aoJ6R.png

Edited by GoldForest

Buran Returns - January 10th, 1990

Buran returns from SISS 5 days after arriving.

Spoiler

jqYvknc.png

30wc0aj.png

q621swy.png

xdbFfPl.png

rpSnH9M.png

(Ignore the blue engine, just heat temperature warning me the engine is getting hot... even though it's not on and shouldn't have gotten much reentry heating.)

Vy8zbXd.png

Columbia Returns - January 12th, 1990

5 days after her arrival, Columbia heads home as well. She needed to make room for Expedition 2U crew arriving tomorrow on a new spacecraft.

Spoiler

BRtYAWN.png

pg91n8j.png

bbaQAqV.png

6rej7k8.png

LXpFtu2.png

(Ignore that the base is floating above the water... just KK and Rescale 2.5 not playing well. If anyone knows a fix, please do let me know.)

lT2spHR.png

(Ignore the body flap lying on the runway.... the shuttle definitely did not tail strike after the pilot forgot to cut the engines with the reversers running which made the shuttle lean back.)

Expedition 2U - January 13th, 1990

Flown by Orion a top Ares I

NASA had always planned to get a new crew vehicle to go along with their new station. That new crewed spacecraft was delayed, both because the spacecraft had issues during development as well as the launch vehicle having issues during development. But after a year or two, those problems were fixed. The Orion and Ares I were ready for prime time. After several tests of both vehicles, the first official mission of Orion and Ares I was to ferry the crew of Expedition 2U to SISS. 

Ares I is an SDLV, Shuttle Derived Launch Vehicle. It uses a large hydrolox upper stage powered by an engine called the J-2X. While sharing a name with the engine that powered the Saturn I and V upper stages, the similarities stop there. The J-2X is a completely different engine than the J-2 and J-2S.  The first stage is a 5 segment SRB, based off the 4 segment SRBs that power the space shuttle. 

The Orion is NASA's latest spacecraft, originally designed to take astronauts back to the Mun, the Orion was found to be great for ferry operations to SISS as well, so a second version was made. The version launching aboard Ares I now is the Orbital Orion, meant for low Kerbin orbit operations. It almost the same design, but with a few differences. The Orbital version's heat shield is lighter and less thick due to not needing to withstand munar reentry profiles. It also has less fuel. 

Ares I launches Orion into orbit without problem, and the Spacecraft catches up and docks with SISS within a day. 

Spoiler

Qcb6IOB.png

5eW3a0f.png

O6MJWOh.png

(Camera tools is fun to play with.)

S76vri8.png

io2ljfI.png

jWDo52K.png

The Missing Footage: Expedition 1R-B - August 3rd, 1989

Flown by TKS atop Vulkan

Due to an error with the filming equipment, data for the Expedition 1R-B launch and docking was thought to be lost, but one of the film crews managed to recover some footage from the damaged tapes. 

(In reality I just totally forgot to post the screenshots... sorry)

Spoiler

AaWbYa9.png

mfshth8.pngJhItnmI.png

BNqe3iX.png

DUFLJwT.png

Expedition 1R-A Returns - January 17th

The Krussian Crew of Expedition 1R-A returns aboard Soyuz.

Spoiler

ijh3WYZ.png

yuqXewH.png

iL1EsPG.png

PH6j7jO.png

qJwnXgf.png

18 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

Now THIS is going out of hand really quickly.

Most epic crossover of all time.

Dock skylab derived module next for extra insanity 

Near unlimited budget NASA, means concepts get made earlier. 

And how is it out of hand? :P

16 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

I hope you do understand that you've doomed some poor souls who would fly on ares 1.

It is insanely dangerous stuff.

Nah, my Ares I has the vibration problem solved. IIRC, they solved the IRL vibration problem as well. 

As for the abort problem... er... more boosters?  In all seriousness, I can think of one abort scenario should they need to ditch the SRB. Just pop the top. Have the SRB producing thrust at both ends so it basically becomes thrustless. The SRB falls away as the crew module gets pulled from danger. 

SISS 9: Krussian Science Power Platform (SPP) AKA Flower Power Tower - February 12th, 1990

Flown by Energia-Vulkan

Energia debuts their new super-heavy lift launch vehicle based off the Energia rocket. The Energia-Vulkan. Atop the Energia-Vulkan sat Krussia's latest module for the SISS. The Science Power Platform ,nicknamed the Flower Power Tower by most of the world, it was a module designed to house science experiments and provide extra power and cooling for the growing station. 

Launch went off without a hitch, but SPP stopped broadcasting regular telemetry after orbit insertion. SPP reported to be in safe mode. The Krussian Space Command immediately got to work diagnosing the problem. It took a whole day to figure out what had happened. One of the batteries for the main computer had rapidly drained, depleting to zero within minutes. To safe power, SPP's computer put itself in Safe Mode to try and trickle feed off the remaining batteries in case the others were also bad. After a little more diagnostic work, the other batteries were given a good bill of health. After an update was uploaded to SPP's computer to ignore the dead battery, SPP was taken out of safe mode and the rendezvous and docking were reprogrammed. 

SPP arrived at SISS and docked without further incident.

ba7ozoA.png

502STs9.png

kFssjrF.png

9lRRkqo.png

fzdLec1.png

(Note: I might replace the solar panels with something else. There are currently 40 solar panels on the Flower Tower. I also had a Kraken attack and the whole module exploded during one rendezvous attempt, sending debris interplanetary.)

1uL3O7p.png

Edited by GoldForest

All of these are in the same album, so here it is: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Expedition 2-RA - February 17th, 1990

Flown by Soyuz

CqOXy2a.png

Expedition 2E Returns - February 16th, 1990

ahUhKDf.png

ch8WAlS.png

cXtqbKw.png

Expedition 1R-B Returns - February 18th, 1990

F9ABS1d.png

hSksidX.png

1l1kxcs.png

SISS 10: P3 Truss - March 2nd, 1990

Flown by Ares IC(argo)

With a redesign of the P3 and S3 truss segments, contruction of the Solar Truss continued with the launch of SISS 10 aboard the Ares IC. The C didn't stand for the third iteration, but instead it stood for Cargo. Concerns expressed by the public *cough* @ra4nd0m *cough* has limited the Ares I fleet to cargo and satellite launches for the time being. Orion will instead launch aboard Titan LDC for it's next launch. 

hIkC3zX.png

WU274U3.png

eoLAGdS.png

dEaTaWk.png

jtNcLDl.png