Dreaming Big - Supersized International Space Station (SISS) (ISS Alternate History concept)

GoldForest

SISS 15: Quest Airlock + PMA-3 + Expedition 3U - July 31st, 1990

Flown by Jupiter 130 in crew and payload configuration, and Orion.

Jupiter 130 once again proves itself a work horse. Jupiter 130 not only delivers Orion into orbit, but Quest Airlock and PMA-3 as well. Orion finishes the delivery of the two new modules to the international segment of SISS, acting like a tug for Quest before docking PMA-3 to the nadir fore port of Supermodule. 

(Btw, no longer going to do crew rotations, at least not continuously. I might do one every now and then, but don't expect any more expeditions.)

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

(And I had to redo this launch 2 to 3 times, so you might see some discrepancies in the pictures. Like a change in the docking ports or color.)

RFRHLrU.png

fQ3Tkkx.png

9cSbRCk.png

qVUov8O.png

hkudFsK.png

yQxfMjh.png

OchPSVi.png

Just a nitpick but why are you using ssvp docking system on russian side?
APAS was INITIALLY designed for Buran. At least you could've used hybrid docking port like on ISS. It retains probe and drouge while using 12 hooks and having bigger diameter.

8 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

Just a nitpick but why are you using ssvp docking system on russian side?
APAS was INITIALLY designed for Buran. At least you could've used hybrid docking port like on ISS. It retains probe and drouge while using 12 hooks and having bigger diameter.

Mostly to keep the athestics of the parts matching. Tantares has a style that doesn't really blend well with Habtech's new Hybrid docking port. 

I've been thinking about using the ports, but they look kind of out of place. IDK, I'll continue to think on it. 

And I'm using the big tantares ports, not the small ones, so they are 0.9375, same as Habtech's ports.

cepKPbg.png

Edited by GoldForest

SISS 17: Node 1 (3) Tranquility - October 23, 1990

Flown by Shuttle II "Solaris"

Shuttle II is finally ready for her big debut. The first Shuttle II, Solaris, is ready for her third launch, this one being a non-test launch. Shuttle II brings safety to the space shuttle with a detachable cockpit section. The cockpit section itself is also a smaller glider, allowing the crew to escape a dangerous situation then come back home safely. In an ideal situation, the cockpit would glide back to the launch complex, using the shuttle runway for landing, but if need be, the cockpit can land anywhere, land or sea. It also features a parachute landing system (Forgot to add it, but it will be there next launch :P). 

Shuttle II also uses, subjectively, safer LRBs instead of SRBs. Each booster features 4 SSBEs. With LRBs, this allows Shuttle II to cut its engines in the event of an emergency and allow for instance "punch out" capability.

There are two Shuttle II designs. Shuttle Stack and Over the Wing tanks. The one featured today is the former design.

Shuttle II roars to life with its 11 engines, and push Shuttle II with her payload up to orbit. 

Unfortunately, Shuttle II will not be docking to SISS. SISS' docking ports are all taken up, and the "Shuttle Docking" extension modules have yet to be delivered to SISS. The Shuttle Docking modules are a set of modules designed to allow up to 3 Shuttles to be docked to the international segment of SISS. 

After docking of Tranquility to SISS thanks to Aardvark, Shuttle II does some orbits around SISS before heading home.

7E2uufV.png

uoBDp9H.png

ATi9vHF.png

3Y7FMuF.png

d10rPmw.png

Bonus images:

I actually got to use the abort system. I accidentally placed a booster nose cone the wrong way, so it went inward instead of outward. I also failed the landing and featured that picture. Note: The abort situation and the failed landing are NON CANON! I'm just featuring them for fun. :P

Spoiler

JpBZrwu.png

nUH8f7j.png

UapsIJn.png

V8fA17f.png

pvbad6a.png

23 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

Government: how much money do you want to spend?

NASA: YES.

Btw from which mod is this cockpit?

Shuttle II was an IRL concept shuttle, so it's not really about money, more safety and upgrades and stuff.

Also, Shuttle II is part of Cormorant. It's stock-a-like, so doesn't match with SOCK, but it's still a good mod:

1 hour ago, ra4nd0m said:

Ares V done some roids and ready to launch 180+ t?

It is Ares V, but its payload is rather tame. Just the S2 and S3 truss together. I thought about launching the entire remaining starboard truss, but thought it outside the realm of plausible.

Ugh... The next mission is going to be delayed... 

KSP is throwing a fit. I updated a handful of mods and I don't know which one is causing a fatal error with B9... 

Edit: Can anyone help me out? B9 is throwing a fatal  error on itself, and I don't know why. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uaq7hwcpii9672/KSP.log?dl=0

Edit 2: I think I figured it out. RMM was the cause, I think. I forgot to get rid of the extra config files that were no longer supported. The loading has made it past the point the fatal error triggers at least, which was loading RMM parts. 

Edited by GoldForest

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Ugh... The next mission is going to be delayed... 

KSP is throwing a fit. I updated a handful of mods and I don't know which one is causing a fatal error with B9... 

Edit: Can anyone help me out? B9 is throwing a fatal  error on itself, and I don't know why. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uaq7hwcpii9672/KSP.log?dl=0

Oof, sorry about that. KSP’s always so picky with mods.

5 minutes ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Heh, I figured it out. It was my own fault. It was a outdated config file conflicting with a newer one.

But the Ares V launch will have to be delayed. I spent all my available time tracking down this issue. 

18 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Heh, I figured it out. It was my own fault. It was a outdated config file conflicting with a newer one.

But the Ares V launch will have to be delayed. I spent all my available time tracking down this issue. 

Ah, okay. Can’t wait for the next post!

2 hours ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

Minecraft is even more picky about mods. You can only use mods that match the version of Minecraft that you have downloaded. (1.12.2 mods only work on version 1.12.2 of Minecraft)

SISS 19: S2 and S3 - February 22nd, 1991

Flown by Ares V + Aardvark-2

Ares V makes her operational debut after a one month delay due to engine issues. SISS 19 was originally slated for January, but due to an issue with two of the new RS-68 engines on Ares V's core stage the launch was delayed. It took a while for Rocketdyne to track down the problem and to make sure the other engines didn't have the fault as well. Once the problem was dealt with, Ares V was rescheduled. 

Ares V is NASA's newest Mun rocket, at least, it's one of the runner ups. NASA has been thinking about cancelling the Ares Program and going with another program. The DIRECTv3 program is very promising, the Jupiter 130 already having proven itself with 4 launches, 2 of them delivering SISS modules. DIRECTv3 has two heavier launch vehicles in proposal. A tame 246 and a monstrous 3552 configuration. NASA was interested in both, though the latter with some heavy criticism. The 3552 would use a new central stack with STS stacks bolted on to the side of it. 

For now though, NASA was focused on one vehicle, Ares V. 

Ares V roared to life, the 6 RS-68 engines and 2 5.5 SRBs lifting the monster of a launch vehicle off the pad and into the air. Ares V was a little slow, but not too slow. It didn't "Jump" off the pad like the Shuttle or Titan, but NASA didn't need it to jump. They just needed it to reach orbit. Everyone watched as the giant orange rocket got smaller and soon disappeared into the great blue yonder. 

Aardvark 2 also makes her debut with this launch, finally retiring the Apollo style SM. Instead, Aardvark 2 now uses an Orion derived SM.

5OL2bT0.png

EbLxwoo.png

kId2H3k.png

t2i8kW2.png

meoBA4L.png

iq5Ooxs.png

KIJgFzB.png

Edited by GoldForest

SISS 20: PMM - March 1st, 1991

Flown by - Ares IB

Ares I returns with the launch of Ares IB. Ares IB will replace Ares IA in crew launches. Ares IB uses an LRB instead of an SRB. Said LRB features 2 F-2Bs. With 2 engines, it eliminates the vibration problem and also offers greater chance to abort if the case of an emergency. 

DsW4gcs.png

YnP9AFy.png

z0GIGbn.png

xWtz4tQ.png

L7lNv3g.png

Thn8JPZ.png

zYTK0Ep.png

Teaser image:

hy7S8pr.png

Edited by GoldForest

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

SISS 20: PMM - March 1st, 1991

Flown by - Ares IB

Ares I returns with the launch of Ares IB. Ares IB will replace Ares IA in crew launches. Ares IB uses an LRB instead of an SRB. Said LRB features 2 F-2Bs. With 2 engines, it eliminates the vibration problem and also offers greater chance to abort if the case of an emergency. 

DsW4gcs.png

YnP9AFy.png

z0GIGbn.png

xWtz4tQ.png

L7lNv3g.png

Thn8JPZ.png

zYTK0Ep.png

Teaser image:

hy7S8pr.png

"This is a strange ven diagram, what is it for?"
"No this is the cross section of the next Delta variant"